The Student Room Group

Are you voting for Ukip?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by biodesign
So it is racist to want people to come to this country and be able to speak English and embrace our culture... and have a job to come to.

Do people at your University think Canada, New Zealand and Australia are racist? As they have a point-based system.

The word racism has been so disgustingly dis-valued people do not even know the meaning anymore.

I want immigration, just controlled and skilled immigration so ANYONE who possesses qualities to benefit this country can come happily!

My friend who kindly called me 'stupid''s arguement was, "not all foreign people are bad."
But a point based system would allow border control to eliminate the bad and bring in the good.

I couldn't of said it better myself - people deem anything has racist these days. Its a term used far to lightly and i think a lot of UKIP supporters are put off expressing their views because of the 'racist' labels theyll have.

It doesn't matter anyway, because on election day it is completely private and people can put their true choices privatley down and no one will have any comment over it. :smile:
Original post by Maker
Would you insist someone moving from Birmingham to London has to have a job offer before doing so?

That is internal migration, where the population does not go up or down, and it is mass immigration from outside the UK which has had a detrimental effect on wages, communities and public resources, such as schools and hospitals.

No, I would not insist this. As there would be a case by case reason for moving. Just like international migration should be a case by case reason for coming to the country.

Well being optimistic I hope if someone moves from Birmingham to London you would be doing so for a good reason such as a job offer or equal good reason.
Original post by mcgreevy1993
My friend who kindly called me 'stupid''s arguement was, "not all foreign people are bad."
But a point based system would allow border control to eliminate the bad and bring in the good.

I couldn't of said it better myself - people deem anything has racist these days. Its a term used far to lightly and i think a lot of UKIP supporters are put off expressing their views because of the 'racist' labels theyll have.

It doesn't matter anyway, because on election day it is completely private and people can put their true choices privatley down and no one will have any comment over it. :smile:

Very petty to resort to being called racist whenever you believe in being self-governing. Also when I want anyone from any country to come and settle here if they have a skill and wish to contribute. Very frustrating.

I will vote UKIP, they're not perfect but the sooner we are out of the EU the better.
Reply 143
That is internal migration, where the population does not go up or down, and it is mass immigration from outside the UK which has had a detrimental effect on wages, communities and public resources, such as schools and hospitals.

No, I would not insist this. As there would be a case by case reason for moving. Just like international migration should be a case by case reason for coming to the country.

Well being optimistic I hope if someone moves from Birmingham to London you would be doing so for a good reason such as a job offer or equal good reason.

You have no information about why people move to different parts of the country.
I'm most likely not going to vote UKIP. Liberal Democrats might get my vote. There isn't a single party that I feel that is perfect for me so I keep on changing my mind. I will certainly not vote Labour and the Tories. How are all UKIP supporters brainless? Some are intelligent.
I like how people still quote the 75% of our laws are created in Brussels thing, even though in that Clegg vs Farage debate on TV it was pretty much outed that that fact had no evidence behind it, in fact the HoC Libary Stat that Clegg came back with had quite an opposite %.

Personally I don't agree with the majority of UKIP's policies, they're more Tory than the Tory Party, but a lot of their supporters, not all, still believe that they're the party for the working man.

However, i'm not going to hate someone for voting UKIP like a lot of anti-UKIP people do, we've got a fair democracy for a reason, vote for who you want really. At the end of the day they can't get in power due to first past the post and safe seats, so all this will only result in a Labour win if UKIP can take a few seats from the Torys. Labour will definitely not give you an in/out referendum, so you might as well vote Conservative if you want one.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by youarenot
I like how people still quote the 75% of our laws are created in Brussels thing, even though in that Clegg vs Farage debate on TV it was pretty much outed that that fact had no evidence behind it, in fact the HoC Libary Stat that Clegg came back with had quite an opposite %.

Personally I don't agree with the majority of UKIP's policies, they're more Tory than the Tory Party, but a lot of their supporters, not all, still believe that they're the party for the working man.

However, i'm not going to hate someone for voting UKIP like a lot of anti-UKIP people do, we've got a fair democracy for a reason, vote for who you want really. At the end of the day they can't get in power due to first past the post and safe seats, so all this will only result in a Labour win if UKIP can take a few seats from the Torys. Labour will definitely not give you an in/out referendum, so you might as well vote Conservative if you want one.

What UKIP policies do you disagree with?

EU Commissioner Viviane Reding said 75% of our laws are made in Brussels..

I see your logic on voting Conservatives, the problem is Cameron gave a cast-iron guarantee on an EU referendum and promised immigration would come down to tens of thousands. So the trust is gone.

Although, I genuinely can not imagine a Labour/SNP government.
Asking a hive of left-wing students who have never left the hug-bubble of education whether they are going to vote for UKIP isn't going to be very productive.
What UKIP policies do you disagree with?

EU Commissioner Viviane Reding said 75% of our laws are made in Brussels..

I see your logic on voting Conservatives, the problem is Cameron gave a cast-iron guarantee on an EU referendum and promised immigration would come down to tens of thousands. So the trust is gone.

Although, I genuinely can not imagine a Labour/SNP government.

https://fullfact.org/europe/eu_make_uk_laws_70_per_cent-29589

Viviane Reding said it was 70% but claims to have been "interpreted wrongly" and doesn't stand by that figure.

The 75% is a figure that UKIP have come up with independently, and they won't tell anyone how they came up with it. I think I'll go with the House of Commons Library over a figure plucked out of the sky by Farage.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 149
Lots of childish namecalling going on, what happens when you are spoon-fed anti UKIP rhetoric every day constantly through social media. The idea that UKIP voters are any more stupid than Labour or Tory voters is ridiculous, the bulk of Labour and Conservative voters are not politically engaged and just blindly vote because thats who they always voted for.
I dont plan on voting for anyone as I live in a Tory safe seat and there are no independent candidates running to waste my vote on.
I'd also add that the Torys are far more deplorable and far further right than UKIP are, its just harder to bandwagon against them because it actually takes some knowledge of whats going on and what they stand for rather than retweeting some vague tweet about some elderly local councillor that said something stupid and was immediately fired from UKIP.
No, I don't like their policies that much.
It really is funny how people call UKIP racist, when there the only party who wish to have an equal playing field for immigrants from all over the world. The current system discriminates against Indian people, in favour of often unskilled Europeans! But yeah.. carry on smearing ukip as "stupid" people, because that's been so successful haha
I don't support UKIP, but some of the criticism of them has been ridiculous. I don't want to hear petty insults and mocking of UKIP members who have said stupid things. I don't want to hear about what Farage was like at school (this was an actual smear attempt a while ago).

I want them to be criticised for things that deserve criticism - their policies (or lack of them), their climate change denial and anti-environmentalism, their failure to turn up to votes and other meetings in the EU parliament (while still using the plight of fisherman for their campaign material, even though Farage did nothing to help when he was on a relevant committee), claiming to be an "anti establishment" party when loads of their politicians came from the establishment friendly Conservative party, voting against tax dodging clampdowns in the EU parliament and then claiming to be against tax dodging, etc.
They do get criticised for these things, but too often they are sidelined in favour of pathetic things which are much less important but make a "better" news story.
Am I voting Ukip? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Very good joke, you really got me XD
They will scrap all university fees, why wouldnt I vote?
You can either vote UKIP or suffer the upcoming financial crisis and I don't mean like the bump in the road in 2008.

See the Deagel 2025 forecast for the UK to get a rough idea of what I mean.
Original post by illegaltobepoor
Most UKIP voters don't have a brain so they stick to trolling on facebook. TSR is for intelligent students.

No that's Sharia Law you're thinking of.
Reply 158
Original post by RFowler
their failure to turn up to votes and other meetings in the EU parliament

They have made it perfectly clear time and time again that they won't partake in votes to introduce new European laws. The British public have overwhelmingly supported UKIP in the European parliament elections.

Why should they be criticised for doing something they have pledged to do and were voted in to do so? Surely more criticism should be given if they were to turn up and vote for everything despite pledging not to?
Original post by Reue
The British public have overwhelmingly supported UKIP in the European parliament elections.

When you factor in the low turnout, only about 9% of people actually voted for UKIP. The majority did not vote at all.

So if the British public said anything "overwhelmingly", it wasn't "we love UKIP" but was instead more like "we really really don't care about this at all".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending