The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by al_94
You're sounding like Scholes now lol

Lol its true tho we've no one to lift the team and take charge.
Original post by sr90
Chambers will get absolutely annihilated at RB if you play him there.

Exactly.

Original post by AR_95
And Bellerin wont?

We don't exactly have a plethora of choice.

Original post by swirly
Ok so Gabriel looks like an utter Squillaci for us.

Lol no he won't, what are you on about. He will become a real something for us I'm sure.
Did TSR have a system to detect who repped you? I'm sure when I joined it told me who pos repped me and who neg repped me.
Original post by Numan786
Did TSR have a system to detect who repped you? I'm sure when I joined it told me who pos repped me and who neg repped me.

Not quite sure about previously but for now, only subs etc can see who's repped them.

Not sure who will be better suited at RB tomorrow to face United's wingbacks. Chambers and Bellerin both have their advantages and disadvantages tbh, Bellerin has pace but bombs forward way too much and is naive in certain situations as is Chambers but he puts in decent tackles when need be. When he does go forward his crosses are pretty good. However the lad picks up too many cards which of course would be a concern.

****s sake Debuchy man.

how long ago did you join?

I thought these days that if you paid to subscribe you could see who repped you..

But I do also remember back when I joined, you were given personal rep, (cant remember if that was instead of, or in addition to your post rep) where people would rep and leave a comment to you.. -- then you could see who it was
Original post by fallen_acorns
how long ago did you join?

I thought these days that if you paid to subscribe you could see who repped you..

But I do also remember back when I joined, you were given personal rep, (cant remember if that was instead of, or in addition to your post rep) where people would rep and leave a comment to you.. -- then you could see who it was

I joined in 2011 it might be what you're onabout.
When are we gonna get a proper leader in this squad? Every other big team has atleast one.

City: Kompany & Toure

Man Utd: Rooney

Chelsea: Terry

Liverpool: Gerrard

Arsenal: ...?

I don't think we've had one since Adams tbh or since that era generally last one being Henry.

Van Persie was apparently your best leader since Vieira. Until he left, obviously.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Van Persie was apparently your best leader since Vieira. Until he left, obviously.

He was good at getting us out of situations and making his own chances but he wasnt really a leader I mean the guy called his own teammate(Ramsey) utter crap and said he shouldnt even be playing football.
He was good at getting us out of situations and making his own chances but he wasnt really a leader I mean the guy called his own teammate(Ramsey) utter crap and said he shouldnt even be playing football.

Remember reading somewhere that Van Persie was a true leader of men during his latter years at Arsenal, whereas Henry would walk around as if he was bigger than the club.
Remember reading somewhere that Van Persie was a true leader of men during his latter years at Arsenal, whereas Henry would walk around as if he was bigger than the club.

Yeah I never really bought into this whole 'Henry was a great leader for arsenal' thing. I always thought the real leader was Adams. You cant really say RVP was an actual leader he had so many disputes with his own teammates. There were many Club Captains but not many leaders such as Adams. Captains like Gallas and RVP were the worst.
(edited 9 years ago)
We don't have any leaders because our team are all pissing about playing FIFA, taking selfies, and making youtube videos. Coquelin is the closest thing we have to someone who looks like they give a damn when they are actually playing football.

That may actually have been from one of RVP's reporter mates. He arranged some scandalous propeganda around the time that he left.

Never heard anyone connected with Arsenal utter a bad word about Henry.
Yeah I never really bought into this whole 'Henry was a great leader for arsenal' thing. I always thought the real leader was Adams. You cant really say RVP was an actual leader he had so many disputes with his own teammates. There were many Club Captains but not many leaders such as Adams. Captains like Gallas and RVP were the worst.

Adams had it easy though really surrounded by proper men like Bergkamp, Keown, Bould, Seaman, Vieira etc. He was into the vocal ''come on boys'' stuff but the real steel of that group was much more subtle and unspoken. How would he have done surrounded by snakes and spineless cretins like Nasri, Fabregas and Adebayor I wonder? Pissing in the wind would old Tone I'll bet, although at least he probably have decked a few of them. :laugh:

The captaincy is largely a ceremonial role to be truthful, leadership and focus comes from the group as a whole. So whilst Gallas and RVP are hardly the stuff of Rorke's Drift, they were no worse than the group of players whom they were elected from. And I maintain that never in PL history has a bigger group of underachieving pricks been assembled than Arsenal 2008-2011. Cretins almost to a man.

Every team gets the captain it deserves ultimately. Our team lacks leaders, has lacked leaders since 2006 and will continue to lack leaders in all probability. If Santi Cazorla is deemed fit to wear the Arsenal armband then that is surely a sign that it is worthless at present.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Adams had it easy though really surrounded by proper men like Bergkamp, Keown, Bould, Seaman, Vieira etc. He was into the vocal ''come on boys'' stuff but the real steel of that group was much more subtle and unspoken. How would he have done surrounded by snakes and spineless cretins like Nasri, Fabregas and Adebayor I wonder? Pissing in the wind would old Tone I'll bet, although at least he probably have decked a few of them. :laugh:

The captaincy is largely a ceremonial role to be truthful, leadership and focus comes from the group as a whole. So whilst Gallas and RVP are hardly the stuff of Rorke's Drift, they were no worse than the group of players whom they were elected from. And I maintain that never in PL history has a bigger group of underachieving pricks been assembled than Arsenal 2008-2011. Cretins almost to a man.

Every team gets the captain it deserves ultimately. Our team lacks leaders, has lacked leaders since 2006 and will continue to lack leaders in all probability. If Santi Cazorla is deemed fit to wear the Arsenal armband then that is surely a sign that it is worthless at present.

You make some good points and I agree.

You have to ask then why are their no real leaders ? I hear wenger doesn't like personalities in the team or personalities who like to dictate or so it goes. I think we purposefully don't have any proper leaders.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
You make some good points and I agree.

You have to ask then why are their no real leaders ? I hear wenger doesn't like personalities in the team or personalities who like to dictate or so it goes. I think we purposefully don't have any proper leaders.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Genuine leadership and bottle is a rare trait, and the correlation with top class footballing ability is extremely rare. Wenger has a particular type of player, he just wants players with technical ability and if they tick his boxes then whether they are spineless or not is of no consequence to him whatsoever. Throw a lot of spineless bottlers together and the sum will actually be more spineless than the parts. Wenger is a very stubborn man now. I'm sure he has the intelligence to realise that his player profile is deficient, he ignores that because there's this 5'5 CAM at Nice who he has his eye on atm and surely the team with the best technical players will win? . :rolleyes:

There are some players with bottle in our team but they're lost in the general sea. Koscielny, Wilshere and Sanchez at Chelsea would fit in like lego pieces wouldnt they?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Genuine leadership and bottle is a rare trait, and the correlation with top class footballing ability is extremely rare. Wenger has a particular type of player, he just wants players with technical ability and if they tick his boxes then whether they are spineless or not is of no consequence to him whatsoever. Throw a lot of spineless bottlers together and the sum will actually be more spineless than the parts. Wenger is a very stubborn man now. I'm sure he has the intelligence to realise that his player profile is deficient, he ignores that because there's this 5'5 CAM at Nice who he has his eye on atm and surely the team with the best technical players will win? . :rolleyes:

There are some players with bottle in our team but they're lost in the general sea. Koscielny, Wilshere and Sanchez at Chelsea would fit in like lego pieces wouldnt they?

Lol you talk some sense when you're not drunk :tongue:.
Original post by Zürich
That may actually have been from one of RVP's reporter mates. He arranged some scandalous propeganda around the time that he left.

Never heard anyone connected with Arsenal utter a bad word about Henry.

I think I read it from a leaked report of one of your AGMs. A lot of the stuff on there seemed a bit hard to believe though.
really excited for tonight!

Not been this hyped for a football match in a long while..

Probably because its on a monday night, so I have all day at work waiting for the game.. but also because this game just feels exciting. Two big teams, both struggling, both putting in bad performances, both really needing the FA cup this year.. it just feels like its asking for an exciting game, some drama, a lot of goals hopefully.

going in with no expectations.. will make some nice dinner and then enjoy the game
The key battle tonight is how United look to break down Coquelin.

They are too pedestrian and insipid at times, and without increasing the tempo, I think you'll go relatively untroubled.
Original post by Mackay
The key battle tonight is how United look to break down Coquelin.

They are too pedestrian and insipid at times, and without increasing the tempo, I think you'll go relatively untroubled.

Oh, that's easy. Bomb down the flanks:
1) Young gets away from Bellerin
2) Coq tries to help Bellerin out
3) Young lobs it to Valencia who's already ran behind Gibbs
4) Coq tries to help Mertesacker and Koscielny but Rooney's already made the run behind them
5) Valencia passes to Rooney, scores.
Perfect.

Latest