The Student Room Group

Banning halal/religious slaughter for meat campaign is silly + racist

HM Government e-petitions: The petition 'Protect religious slaughter in the UK and EU' has reached 134,389 signatures!!! :smile:)

This e-petition has received the following response:

As this e-petition has received more than 10 000 signatures, the relevant Government department have provided the following response:
The Government encourages the highest standards of welfare at slaughter and would prefer to see all animals stunned before they are slaughtered for food. However, we also respect the rights of the Jewish and Muslim communities to eat meat prepared in accordance with their religious beliefs. The Prime Minister has confirmed that that there would be no ban on religious slaughter in the UK.
Council Regulation 1099/2009, on the protection of animals at time of killing, and the Welfare of Animals (Slaughter or Killing) Regulations 1995 permit slaughter without stunning to be carried out in accordance with religious rites. Within both regulations there are strict requirements on where, how and who can slaughter animals in accordance with religious rites. These requirements are monitored and enforced by Official Veterinarians (OV) of the Food Standards Agency (FSA) to ensure that animals are spared unnecessary suffering, distress or pain during the slaughter process.
This e-petition remains open to signatures and will be considered for debate by the Backbench Business Committee should it pass the 100 000 signature threshold.

I'm not Muslim just an ordinary British schoolgirl, but if you wish to protect Halal+kosher methods of animal slaughter for the meat we all eat anyway, + oppose racially + culturally insensitive bigoted ppl who want to BAN it in the uk, please sign + share like mad!!! thank you xxx
Sign against banning Halal etc!!! :smile:) - http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/74830
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Lol how is it racist? Muslims and Jews come from all different races and countries so it's not at all. Some people happen to support animal rights, why would we advocate unnecessary animal cruelty?? Just because its "in the name of religion" does not make it okay.
I'm not Muslim just an ordinary British schoolgirl, but if you wish to protect Halal+kosher methods of animal slaughter for the meat we all eat anyway, + oppose racially + culturally insensitive bigoted ppl who want to BAN it in the uk, please sign + share like mad!!! ) thank you xxx
The government aren't stupid enough to let Halal slaughter be banned. They're not ready to fight us.
I don't particularly see what's wrong. Halal and non halal meat taste similar anyways. I don't think its fair for both Jews and Muslims to have their requirements taking away from them. If you don't want kosher or halal just don't buy it, also why all of a sudden are we getting hyped over how the animal is killed. Isn't actually killing the animal more so cruel than the method. If that's so we should ban all meat!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abdul-Karim
The government aren't stupid enough to let Halal slaughter be banned. They're not ready to fight us.

if they really wanted they could arrest every muslim in the country, after all they are only 6 or so %. what you meant to say is - "The government arnt moronic dark ages-thinkers that are trying to suppress other religious beliefs".
other europena countries have banned halal but i doubt it will happen here; the government has already been successful in changing halal practice to bring it out of the dark ages by making most of them use stunning to reduce the animal cruelty. the next step will be forcing all of them to do it by law.
Original post by Carol R. Lawson
I'm not Muslim just an ordinary British schoolgirl, but if you wish to protect Halal+kosher methods of animal slaughter for the meat we all eat anyway, + oppose racially + culturally insensitive bigoted ppl who want to BAN it in the uk, please sign + share like mad!!! ) thank you xxx

you dont sound like an ordinary British schoolgirl- and anyway we dont' all eat halal anyway' , many actively steer away from it where possibly for reasons to do with animal cruelty
The main problem for me is that the majority of halal/kosher meat sold in places like supermarkets and fast food chains is not labelled, so how are we supposed to avoid it? We should at least have the choice.

Just because we're all going to eat meat anyway, that doesn't mean we should necessarily allow halal and kosher methods of slaughter. I would say that we have a moral duty to protect the welfare of animals like chickens so that they aren't being slaughtered in an inhumane, painful way. Surely we want to make sure there's as little suffering as possible? I really don't think it's racist to oppose halal or kosher slaughter.
Reply 9

Already signed this a while ago.
Thanks for sharing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I support this message already gave my reasons on the other thread
Original post by HAnwar
Already signed this a while ago.
Thanks for sharing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:wink: Happy to! xx I'm just opposing what I view as a racially + culturally insensitive campaign against Halal type religious slaughter rights.

As for the enforced labelling, I'm against that as well!!! It should just be treated exactly the same as any other sold meat/foods IMO. xx
Original post by Hopefulcici
I don't particularly see what's wrong. Halal and non halal meat taste similar anyways. I don't think its fair for both Jews and Muslims to have their requirements taking away from them. If you don't want kosher or halal just don't buy it, also why all of a sudden are we getting hyped over how the animal is killed. Isn't actually killing the animal more so cruel than the method. If that's so we should ban all meat!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is not a strong argument. Meat is a staple part of human diet, but it is humane that we slaughter the animals in as painless fashion as possible. Halal is not the most painless method possible, it is excruciatingly painful for the animal. It has nothing to do with religious prejudice, it has to do with being a decent human being and meeting the civilised values which this society is based upon. The religions of men are never justification for causing other sentient beings suffering.
Reply 13

I have so much respect for you
Original post by Reluire
Just because we're all going to eat meat anyway, that doesn't mean we should necessarily allow halal and kosher methods of slaughter. I would say that we have a moral duty to protect the welfare of animals like chickens so that they aren't being slaughtered in an inhumane, painful way. Surely we want to make sure there's as little suffering as possible? I really don't think it's racist to oppose halal or kosher slaughter.

Agreed. The OP doesn't seem to respond to any opinions which aren't aligned with her own.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Ciel.
It will be banned soon.

keep dreaming
Reply 16
:wink: Happy to! xx I'm just opposing what I view as a racially + culturally insensitive campaign against Halal type religious slaughter rights.

As for the enforced labelling, I'm against that as well!!! It should just be treated exactly the same as any other sold meat/foods IMO. xx

Do you know exactly how this process looks? Here http://www.channel4.com/news/halal-slaughterhouse-sheep-animal-aid-thirsk-yorkshire
It is cruel. Don't let your Muslim boyfriend convince you otherwise, or whoever is making you believe that crap.
Reply 17
Original post by kyoti
keep dreaming

It's a fact - watch the news, for the next couple of months and you shall see. :wink:
Reply 18
Original post by Ciel.
It's a fact - watch the news, for the next couple of months and you shall see. :wink:

lol keep dreaming :biggrin:
Get a grip and learn the definition of 'racism.'

Latest

Trending

Trending