The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lúcio
I understand the support you carry and the belief in your team, but you need to score at least 3 goals against a side that royally spanked you on your own turf.

Just think about that for a second.

Yeah but we played like utter ****e and Giroud missed enough chances that night to have 3 himself. Anyway we've got previous like the 3-0 vs Milan and the 2-0 vs Bayern.

We've dug ourselves a real hole but this is not a top European side, just a competent one that were up against and we can definitely score 3 if we turn up. We've got the firepower tbh
Just watching these videos and wow what a player. I have no doubt if it werent for his injuries and health problems he would be the best player of all time. Watching a striker like him makes me realise what poverty Giroud is lol :tongue:. They say theres beauty in the game and after re watching this man I have found that beauty.

I busted a nut like 5 times while watching this video. Sorry for video quality though seems they only used potatoes to record things in those days. This guy legit made every defender he came up against nay every opp team player he came up against his bitch.

[video="youtube;m8bZhNBQktQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8bZhNBQktQ[/video]
(edited 9 years ago)
And to those thinking its just goals.. The Brazil NT should get all their strikers and attackers and make them watch these videos and say this is what real Brazilian football and skill looks like.

[video="youtube;uVueW6X7TM0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVueW6X7TM0[/video]
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Numan786
And to those thinking its just goals.. The Brazil NT should get all their strikers and attackers and make them watch these videos and say this is what real Brazilian football and skill looks like.

[video="youtube;uVueW6X7TM0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVueW6X7TM0[/video]

I'm pretty sure Brazilian footballers have seen Ronaldo play before.
Original post by Zürich
Yeah but we played like utter ****e and Giroud missed enough chances that night to have 3 himself. Anyway we've got previous like the 3-0 vs Milan and the 2-0 vs Bayern.

We've dug ourselves a real hole but this is not a top European side, just a competent one that were up against and we can definitely score 3 if we turn up. We've got the firepower tbh

Hey, I am in no way disagreeing with you here.
I would say that Arsenal are probably the most likely PL team to pull an exceptional performance out of the bag against all odds.
Aside from Liverpool you're the best team in the league right now anyway, no reason why it can't happen.

I am merely highlighting how difficult this will be and how small your margin for error is.
Personally I'll be rooting for you simply because the extra games could benefit the rivals and it would also be nice to see and English team in the QFs.
Original post by Stefano93
I'm still frightened going into the game. Monaco at home play very defensively, drew 0-0 with PSG aswell being at home and that says alot. I actually do rate them as a defensive-counter attacking team, I remember the last 90mins match when they lost to Nice in September last year,they were injury plagued and lacking in attack. Still brings me memories of our Emirates Cup failure (where alot of fans say it was only the Emirates Cup, but technically was much more than that and alot of people failed to establish how decent of a side they actually are, possibly one of the big underdogs in the Champions League).

If they play 4-3-3 (with Toure, Wallace, Toulalan and Kurzawa in defence) then I would easily say we can give up any hopes of qualifying.

Seeing Kondogbia and Moutinho tear our midfield and defence up like putty should send ringing bells to Wenger. I'm hoping we still play a 4-4-2 and give them little possession. It's hard imagining we actually qualify however we're the Arsenal and if we turn up in Monaco playing best football, essentially anything is possible.

Yes, defensively and on the transitions into countering they seem very able.

But, a guy like Ozil was bought to break down such defences. (I know I bang on about the guy a lot, but I think he is a beautiful player and a large reason for our resurgence. Few realise his value when he is in the team, but when he is away we certainly miss his genius.
Make him feel loved at the club and he plays beautifully. He would split a defence like that over and over, up for us to convert those chances though.
(edited 9 years ago)
It would be great to be the English team progressing the furthest after a long time :tongue:

If we do get to the Quarters though, then do Chelsea fans say "yeah but you had an easy R16 team"?

Lol, look at Blind's look throughout, you can tell he is a snide little ****. Would love to leave the studs in if I was an opposing player. Pair of Dutch space cadets there.
Original post by Tom_Ford

Lol, look at Blind's look throughout, you can tell he is a snide little ****. Would love to leave the studs in if I was an opposing player. Pair of Dutch space cadets there.

What a **** too. Didn't even look like he cared that Welbeck was leaving (not that he should) but most managers pay a bit of respect, especially to a servant like Danny.
If arsenal play Per Mertesacker against Monaco
We will lose because he is so slow:frown: (but he managed to somehow catch up to fellani :mmm: on Monday)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
What a **** too. Didn't even look like he cared that Welbeck was leaving (not that he should) but most managers pay a bit of respect, especially to a servant like Danny.

I dont like Blind's attitude. Doesn't have much passion in games either.
Original post by AR_95

Yup, LVG's teams are perpetually in internal conflicts really, no surprise when you see attitudes like that.
We're not going to get past monaco lads.
Hopefully you guys can do something against Monaco. I personally see you guys getting a couple goals. If you start early, get a goal then I'll think you could just get something.

I personally think you have a better chance than City vs Barcelona.
If we can go in to half time at 1-0/2-1, then I can see us going through. Not at 0-0 though.
I am more confident about us beating monaco 3-0 or 3-1 then I was for us to beat united at old trafford.....

anyway.. if last night showed us anything its that there is always a chance - who would have thought PSG would go through, having come back from a goal down with 10 men... twice.

If the team plays well, we are better then them, and can win.
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
I'm pretty sure Brazilian footballers have seen Ronaldo play before.

If you look at their performances mate I beg to differ.
If Schalke nearly did the 'impossible' we can do it. But I wouldn't get hopes too high.
Some moronic predictions here. We ****ed up our chances of qualification in tbe first leg. Monaco is a team that barely ever conceedes a goal, that we are playing away from home and who don't have to score to win the tie. Not that we've managed to keep many clean sheets this season anyway.
Original post by De Chirico
Some moronic predictions here. We ****ed up our chances of qualification in tbe first leg. Monaco is a team that barely ever conceedes a goal, that we are playing away from home and who don't have to score to win the tie. Not that we've managed to keep many clean sheets this season anyway.

We played our worst game of the season against them and yet should have scored at least 3? And youre saying we cant score 3 if we actually turn up?

How does that square? And we dont need to keep a clean sheet either, 3-1, 4-2 etc all to the good! Bottom line, score an early goal and we have a decent chance. 25% I should say.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest