The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lyrical Prodigy

For some funny reason I couldn't give a toss about CL anymore. Retaining the FA cup and finishing in top four (preferably 3rd) should be the priority. Okay so say we do beat Monaco and progress, then what? I highly doubt we'd be 'lucky' to be drawn with Porto which would leave the other big guns left, waste of time and energy imo when we should be focusing on more realisitic achievements.

Well no one expected us to go all the way in 11/12 so who knows, you have to be in it to win it :tongue:
Monaco's defence is so strong. I can't see you getting anything. Stranger things have happened, of course.
Original post by Zürich
We played our worst game of the season against them and yet should have scored at least 3? And youre saying we cant score 3 if we actually turn up?

How does that square? And we dont need to keep a clean sheet either, 3-1, 4-2 etc all to the good! Bottom line, score an early goal and we have a decent chance. 25% I should say.

Well you either need to win by 3 clear goals (i.e. 3-0) or you need to score 4 away goals.

You've scored 3(+) goals away in the league against Villa only (had 4 other results at home though).
You lot may be interested to know that Henry's playing for Gerrard's XI in his charity match at Anfield. Him, Suarez and Torres up front together.
Original post by Zerforax
Well you either need to win by 3 clear goals (i.e. 3-0) or you need to score 4 away goals.

You've scored 3(+) goals away in the league against Villa only (had 4 other results at home though).

I trust you can see the difference between a league game in which the incentive to score 3+ goals is very different to a k/o tie in which scoring 3 is essential to progress?

Not saying it's easy or anything against a side like Monaco but we have goals from quite a few areas atm so it's doable. And as I say, 1st leg we should have scored 3+ anyway playing like utter dross
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
I trust you can see the difference between a league game in which the incentive to score 3+ goals is very different to a k/o tie in which scoring 3 is essential to progress?

Not saying it's easy or anything against a side like Monaco but we have goals from quite a few areas atm so it's doable

It's definitely doable. I'd be concerned with Monaco's reputation for solid defending, though. They only conceded once in the group stage.
Original post by Mackay
You lot may be interested to know that Henry's playing for Gerrard's XI in his charity match at Anfield. Him, Suarez and Torres up front together.

He'll probably let him try on his title medals for a kick as well if he asks nicely.

Original post by Mackay
It's definitely doable. I'd be concerned with Monaco's reputation for solid defending, though. They only conceded once in the group stage.

They definitely defend well but they are not impregnable or anything. Giroud should have had 2 and Walcott 1 the other day and that was playing at about 20% for us.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Multitalented me
Well no one expected us to go all the way in 11/12 so who knows, you have to be in it to win it :tongue:

I agree :yep:

-----------------
Getting so sick comments on this forum now, honestly. We should get relegated to make people happy.
Original post by Zürich
He'll probably let him try on his title medals for a kick as well if he asks nicely.

Let's hope so.

thierry-henry_2087681b.jpg
The only thing giving me a bit of hope is that we have form for turning up well after first leg beatings in the CL, and this is against Monaco rather than Milan, Bayern, etc.

Obviously it's a long shot, but gotta stay hopeful.
Original post by Zürich

Not saying it's easy or anything against a side like Monaco but we have goals from quite a few areas atm so it's doable. And as I say, 1st leg we should have scored 3+ anyway playing like utter dross

That you'll try harder to score? Just means you're more likely to concede on the counter frankly.

Most clubs look for a 2 goal advantage in the league, Arsenal's defence hasn't been great this season (even crappy Liverpool have more clean sheets) so Wenger probably looks to score 3 anyway :colondollar:

I give you a 10% chance frankly.
Scoring 3+ goals isn't just the problem, its also stopping Monaco from catching Arsenal on the counter and scoring 3+ goals themselves, they don't have to push up, Arsenal do.
Original post by Mackay
Let's hope so.

Rekd.
Honestly think Arsenal could get something here but I more likely see you lot going out on away goals.
Original post by jam277
Honestly think Arsenal could get something here but I more likely see you lot going out on away goals.
Its a good thing they have Ox's goal in there, that is a big boost for their chances.
Original post by Fizzel
Its a good thing they have Ox's goal in there, that is a big boost for their chances.

Definitely helps them a great deal.
I know a lot of them are moan about missed chances (which admittedly they did have a fair few of), but they also seem to be fontina that Monaco missed some really good ones too.

3-1 didn't flatter the French team one bit.
I hope Arsenal can do better in the 2nd leg but I don't fancy their chances.
You can certainly score more than two goals at Monaco. Their home support is notoriously dire in France, too.
Original post by Mackay
Let's hope so.

I doubt that very much

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1426182829.523388.jpg
Depending on who we start with in midfield and attack, I think we can score three goals. The question is whether or not our back five can keep a clean sheet.

Ospina
Bellerin Koscielny Monreal Gibbs
Coquelin
Walcott Rosicky Cazorla Alexis
Giroud

Szczesny, Chambers, Wilshere, Ramsey, Ozil, OX, Welbeck

Gabriel will still be out with a hamstring issue - and we'll need to play a high line in order to continue attacking, wave after wave, alamo-style. I'd rather Monreal at CB than Chambers, purely because he's been fantastic this season and is more experienced, which we'll need in this game. With that line of logic, perhaps there's a case for starting Rosicky, as he'll give us a lot of energy, positivity and experience in the first half - bring on the OX, Wilshere/Ramsey/Ozil, and Welbeck in the second half?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mackay
Monaco's defence is so strong. I can't see you getting anything.

Original post by Mackay
You can certainly score more than two goals at Monaco.

He said it not me

Latest