The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

We've scored one goal less than Chelsea this season so far :awesome:
good to see chelse and southampton dropping points.

Does not affect us, but just nice to see!

(well it pushes southampton to 8 behind us.. but to be honest, they were already kind of out of the race)

---

Chelsea.. down to 10* points potential lead..

TITLE RACE ON!!!!!

Spoiler

Decent result, keeps Chelsea just within reach if a miracle happens whilst pushing soton further away, giving us a 7 point bumper which may be needed considering how easy there run in is from here on out.
Can't remember who it is that was bullying me on here a while back for saying that Fraser Forster would be a better keeper for us than Ospina and Chez. Well, that match there just proved me right. Lad is man mountain.
Chelsea's run in is actually pretty tough, Arsenal away and Liverpool and united at home, plus 3 or 4 tough away days still. Will they drop 10 points, probably not, but its not unheard (BTW not saying that we're in a good position for the league, the chances of us winning it are tiny, but Chelsea haven't looked good for quite a few weeks now).

Also, nice to see Fab doing ****, looks lime Barca had a point about him fading in the second half of the season
Cuadrado was **** aswell.
Reply 4406
A draw at OT would be sweet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by leinad2012
Chelsea's run in is actually pretty tough, Arsenal away and Liverpool and united at home, plus 3 or 4 tough away days still. Will they drop 10 points, probably not, but its not unheard (BTW not saying that we're in a good position for the league, the chances of us winning it are tiny, but Chelsea haven't looked good for quite a few weeks now).

Also, nice to see Fab doing ****, looks lime Barca had a point about him fading in the second half of the season

They'll win those games easily
Original post by Depleted
To play two up front would be suicidal with the current midfield. Assuming you would get a proper CDM in would negate that to an extent, but it would also leave Özil/Rosicky etc. in the lurch (unless played on the wing which isn't their best position). It's clear that Arsene see their future in big games as sitting deep and countering, so it would be advisable to buy a more efficient pacy striker, Lacazette essentially. Giroud is a good option against smaller teams who'll drop deep and limit the space, and I said above that he brings other players into play well like Ramsey.

It boils down to ambition though tbh. Guarantee that you won't ever win the title with Giroud leading the line as you already know. It's daft to compare him to Diego either way. Don't get the last part which comes across as quote defensive and is a common theme in your posts to others who support different clubs. Could play the same card with Falcao then who's scored the winner against Everton and in draws vs Villa and Stoke as well in another win (can't remember who) but the goal was inconsequential. So he's gained us 4 points, possibly more with his assists so his contribution potentially could make his transfer fee well worth it if we get top 4.

Playing two up front is NOT suicidal considering we've already done so quite often this season with Giroud & Welbeck. I mentioned both have a high defensive work rate and drop back into the midfield anyway so we'd be fine.

Point about Ozil and Rosicky is redundant considering Ozil already plays on the wing and Rosicky hardly gets a game in edgewise at 34 regardless.

I mentioned that it would be good to buy a better striker, like you said Lacazette would be a good buy. Put Welbeck on the bench.

Giroud is not the limiting factor to us winning a title. Missing our most important players but also having trouble in midfield (we really struggled with creativity later on in the season) meant we couldn't score too many goals under pressure. The guy was burnt out too considering he was our ONLY striker, and was starting every game, with our only replacement being Sanogo... Our wingers were also inefficient and there were games we were playing 3 CAM's and a striker ( Cazorla Ozil Rosicky). Add to that we were using AOC a 20 year old and Podolski who clearly wasn't good enough, on wings, meaning Giroud was our only real efficient goal outlet. Add to that Ramsey and Walcott missing large/all of the season hindered us massively. So at the end of the day you're talking a matter of two games seperated us from winning the title and I highly doubt Giroud was the sole reason for that.

Falcao has scored 4 goals in the league.. These are more one off compared to Giroud who has been consistently scoring these types of goals all season. I haven't really made a point wrt Falcao in the first place though

As for what I said being "defensive". I watch Arsenal every game every week (unless I'm working ofcourse) so no I don't like when others who don't watch the team nearly as much, make such accusations like " this player can't do this" or etc without actual evidence, but make points based on theory. So yeah I like to call it out. You don't see me going into other threads and making statements about the way they play/their players because I don't watch them nearly as often as Arsenal..

Original post by ETRC
I don't think we would do as well with 2 strikers. Arsenal play their best with as many creative midfielders waltzing around the penalty box.Unless the striker is Suarez or someone with great vision, we tend to do better with more midfielders so we don't get overrun on counter attacks. Giroud is made to be a lone striker- he is very physical, has good hold up play and can create chances for himself.

Like I said above we already play with two strikers. The system only works because it's Welbeck and Giroud who both put in a defensive shift so yeah I'd understand it wouldn't work with any player.

Not sure if you're serious about the as many CAM's as possible though. Do you remember the Middlesborough game? Rosicky pulled all the strings leaving Ozil with hardly anything to do...

Original post by jam277
Costa's integration to our team is vital too. His pace up top and his link up play with Hazard, Oscar and Fabregas is crucial.

He's not been scoring as much because he's playing left wing majority of the time to just play out of defences rather than stay in the box where he's at his best. He'll score today though. Costa's not been great in big games this calendar year either coming to think of it. He scored vs Liverpool, Arsenal and that's really it. Reckon it's the link up between him and Fabregas going dead second half due to Fabregas' decline in performance.

He's good enough for now, but you probably need a more mobile striker since you don't really have the best wingers(bar for Sanchez who's faded since January)

He's been scoring good goals tbf, guys goal rate is good so you can't really blame much from him. Guy relies on movement and link up play.

Essentially yeah I don't think I mentioned it on TSR but elsewhere I did say that it's not a 100% fair comparison considering the football Chelsea are playing now.

I did make this point in the past however that Giroud would be fine as our main striker so long as we improve our wingers. I wouldn't blame Sanchez entirely seeing as ever since Ozil and Walcott have returned, he's had to play much deeper like a CM but his passing/attacking play has been quite inefficient regardless. The guy's starting every game though and has constantly been shifted positions too. Even if he's not bringing in goals, he's still defending quite well which is nice to have.

And yeah, some of Giroud's goals this season :coma:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by shawn_o1
They'll win those games easily

Nah, Mou will do the bs go for the draw against United for bants and Liverpool are no easy team to beat atm
Original post by Tom_Ford
Can't remember who it is that was bullying me on here a while back for saying that Fraser Forster would be a better keeper for us than Ospina and Chez. Well, that match there just proved me right. Lad is man mountain.

Even at the time you'd have been right, Forster's been better than those two for a while now
Just thinking what we really need...
This summer we will have:
ST-Giroud,Welbeck,Akpom,Sanogo,
CAM-Ozil,Cazorla,Rosicky,Zelalem,
LM-Sanchez,Podolski,Campbell,Gnabry,
RM-Walcott,Chamberlain,Wellington silva,
CM-Wilshere,Ramsey,Arteta,diaby,
DM-Coquelin,Flamini,Bielik,
LB-Monreal,Gibbs,
RB-Debuchy,Jenkinson,Bellerin,Chambers,
CB-Mertesacker,Gabriel,Koschielny,
GK-Szczersny,Ospina,Martinez,

Where do we need to strengthen, or do we need to get rid of some players?
Do we need a top striker like lacazette because that's not great for Akpom & Welbeck let alone Giroud?
Could Walcott leave if he does will it be bad?
Were linked with dybala how would he fit into our team?
Spuds are doing great against United right now :yy:
Original post by Arkasia
Spuds are doing great against United right now :yy:

Typical *****.
Spurs gonna spurs
united going in on spurs...

Makes me so pissed off that this was the team we lost to..
Fellaini: 4 goals in 17 games

Falcrap: 4 goals in 19 games

#FellainiGOAT
#FellanD'or
result itself is not an issue, but united building confidence is not really what we want.

Spurs 7pts behind us, southampton 7pts behind us..

Results this weekend, if liverpool win tommorow, will really confirm that this is a 3/4 team race for top4 places... (4, if you include city)
Original post by fallen_acorns
united going in on spurs...

Makes me so pissed off that this was the team we lost to..

Tbf Arsenal in the form they are in now would smash them.
Original post by AR_95

As for what I said being "defensive". I watch Arsenal every game every week (unless I'm working ofcourse) so no I don't like when others who don't watch the team nearly as much, make such accusations like " this player can't do this" or etc without actual evidence, but make points based on theory. So yeah I like to call it out. You don't see me going into other threads and making statements about the way they play/their players because I don't watch them nearly as often as Arsenal..

Good post. This part you do regularly in United thread tho...

Latest