The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

2-0 Arsenal was a dead cert. Really should have put some money on it, would have made me feel slightly better!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Peggles_*
My oh my, where do I even begin.

The sheer audacity for you to insinuate I’m not a proper fan is hilarious. Because you will blindly follow Wenger up the River Seine that means you are a proper fan? Spare me all that rubbish, you are naïve.
We lost to Monaco, and you can spin it anyway you want, but the reality is, it’s not good enough.

When did I ever mention the ownership of the club? I didn’t say we need to go down the Chelsea/City route, we have the cash, but today isn’t about spending or not spending and who doesn’t or doesn’t own the club.

People like me are realistic, not spoilt. I don’t live with my head in the clouds and think that everything will be okay because the Great Arsene Wenger will fix it all like you do.

Realistically we should be beating a Monaco team who haven’t been in the CL for near enough 10 years and not pulling up any trees in their league. Not to mention the calibre of players we have. I’m not spoilt to suggest that am I?

No one is but usually with these competitions, you have teams that are the frontrunners, we rarely are. Where did I ever say a new manager would come in, and simply click his fingers and we’d win the Quadruple? I’ll wait. :rolleyes:

You need to get this idea out of your head that I want instant success. I don’t. I just want us to compete, which we don’t. We were out of the league picture before a ball was kicked, and will continue to be light years away from winning in Europe.
You genuinely believe Wenger is the best man for the job? Guess what? So do I! But only because no one is available at the moment!!! I didn’t say he should be sacked tomorrow morning like you seem to be suggesting.

I never said I wasn’t happy with the possibility of winning the cup again, I just stated that is shouldn’t be the limited of our ambition. This attitude of “we nearly did it” somewhat supports that, nothing good can come from us revelling in another glorious failure. We finished 7 points off the title last season, I don’t think we will get that close, so a bigger points difference between us and the winners plus the cup isn’t progress, if anything, its regression. Progress would have been beating a team we were well capable of doing and reaching the Quarter Finals plus what I previously mentioned.

I get bored of the constant failing. The predictability of it all, season in, season out. Groundhog season. I also love my club but I can see what the issue is. I have been with them through the good and will continue to do so. I don’t trust them to get it right because we have had many occasions to do so and so far, we haven’t. I don’t trust Wenger, but I do trust him to leave the club in a healthy position because we are already in one.

But I thought you said you don’t want Arsenal to become another Chelsea/City, had she sold to Usmanov, we would have become that.

Wall of text.

1. See here the problem, by your metric it is not good enough because you feel entitled to league title wins. You expect the guy to rebuild a team in the matter of 1-2 seasons after having an actual transfer budget that is competitive. Ignoring the fact about his service to the club, ignoring the fact that he won silverware last season and is expected to do so again this year. Ignoring the fact that we have increasing revenue every single year. But go ahead, slate the man because he is not Man City and can not afford to spunk millions on dross in the hope that some of it sticks. The guy has very little margin for error in the transfer market, it is like he is playing with his hands tied behind his back. Transfers? Yes, he can buy. But, we have a set wage structure that means we cannot afford to spunk £300k or whatever it is on the type of players the other clubs can. We are not Utd, City, Chelsea in financial clout, we are punching above our weight. You see things through a very narrow lens, that is your problem. But I am supposedly the narrow minded one in supporting what the man is doing and has done?

2. "Today is not about spending or not spending" You call me deluded? Tell that to the likes of Chelsea and Real Madrid who can afford £40-50m failures in their team building experiments. We are having a team building experiment but can pay nowhere near that for failures. Also, people forget that those teams can either just straight up ignore FFP (they may get punished) or they can sell their stars to fund buys for other stars (e.g. Di Maria, Higuain, Ozil).

3. "I didn't say we need to go down the City and Chelsea route" So you admit the guy has hands tied behind is back and yet you still expect him to work miracles? Tell me how that is not unreasonable and spoilt.

4. People like me are realistic, not spoilt. If anything, I would argue that you are unrealistic and most definitely spoilt.

5. "Because the great Arsene Wenger will fix it" Look at his track record, it is exceptional. CL qualifications every single year with very little transfer budget. He has started winning trophies again. He has started beating big teams again. He is on the verge of another trophy again.
You want microwave quick progress? Thats not how it works dear. This is not a computer game.

6. Realistically we should be beating a Monaco team who haven’t been in the CL for near enough 10 years and not pulling up any trees in their league. Not to mention the calibre of players we have.
This is the CL where the team with fewest errors go through. You can have a great team but defensive errors will cost you. We are not entitled to get through this type of game. Look at the Real teams of the past that have struggled, look at a great Juve team struggling, look at City's struggles. Monaco are a great young team and their players will be poached by bigger clubs, I am pretty sure of that.

7. In the league we were a frontrunner last year. To be a frontrunner realistically in the CL you have to win your league and be convincing. So you are saying we had to win the league this season or come close to it? It just does not happen that easily. Fair enough you can fluke a serious challenge like Liverpool did last time round, but they have shown the same problems of inconsistency as us last time. And they have the most comparable transfer spend to us in recent seasons I would say we should be judged on their level.
To claim you don't want instantaneous success is a fallacy. We all do. But the thing is, you are unreasonable. As a club in the present day in terms of resources (not inc. history) we are on the level of Liverpool. Certainly not United, Chelsea and City.

8. Who is revelling in failure? I most certainly am not. I think it is very disheartening. But when I rationalise the context. I am not lamenting like the idiots who come here everytime we lose do.

9. So a bigger points difference between us and the winners plus the cup isn’t progress, if anything, its regression. The league position is what what counts. If we finish 4th people would just be able to say "oh they finished 4th again". And it would mean progress because it will mean we have beaten the other teams to that place, something which we could not do last season. And looking at the fixtures, it would have meant we played better in big games.

10. I get bored of the constant failing Go and support Chelsea then. You do nothing but whine and claim you do not expect microwave quick progress and miracles.

11. I have been with them through the good and will continue to do so. Yeah, that is your problem. You have been with them "through the good" only and are acting like an entitled brat when we are going through a 'rough patch' that other clubs can only dream of (Leeds United, Nottingham Forest, Aston Villa, Everton... I am looking at you guys). At your early age you have only known success at the club and forget that prior to Rocastle/Thomas and that lot we had not won the league in years and years (20 I believe). To say you are not spoilt is just fallacy. Wenger's winning years were a real special occassion at this club and not one that can be seen as a era that is just a given to be repeated. The landscape has totally changed.
Original post by jam277
Yes I agree. Ozil was outstanding.

Coquelin I felt did ok but he wasn't what was needed.

I was very impressed with Ramsey in all honesty, Sanchez was frustrating as **** to watch but he'll be back sooner or later. Been average since the injury in january though.

Walcott been quite average but Walcott should be starting games personally.

When Ozil plays on the front foot with urgency, and is imposing , he becomes exceptional. Really wish people actually watch the game and see what he does.
Remember last week the goal that Giroud scored and Ramsey assisted?
Well, Mertesacker had options and Ozil was looking quickly over his shoulders. Ball could have gone to Ozil straight away but it went to another player because Ozil pointed Merts to that pass, the ball then got to Ozil who found himself in space and found the right position for the others. Pre-assisted Ramsey who then had an easy pass to Giroud. He is a brain of the team.
Imagine if we had Kroos instead of ozil. That volley from the edge of the box that ozil had would have been in the back of the net. That's a trademark Kroos goal there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4844
aw ****, I missed a peggles meltdown :lol:
'Imagine if we had Messi instead of Giroud'

'Imagine if we had Pep instead of Wenger'
Original post by difeo
:biggrin:

We lost to United, Middlesbrough twice, Inter, Chelsea and Kiev.
Original post by All Day

Don't take them seriously lol
Original post by shawn_o1
Don't take them seriously lol

I've never took this thread seriously
Original post by All Day

Well we ain't gonna see it happen so imagining is the best thing I can do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by angelfox
Which happened to mainly come from set pieces, and he hasn't done anything of note lately and got jeered off by his own fans.

He's an improvement on who you have but there was and still is no need for Fabregas. Fabregas is a better player than whoever you have in midfield but Ozil is a better no.10 and Ramsey(well when he plays like he has done recently and last season) is a better box to box midfielder than Fabregas.

I don't see how Wenger not buying Fabregas is that big an issue, the only reason why getting him would have been useful is because then Chelsea would not have got him. We would have probably gone for Xabi Alonso/Koke/Pogba/Vidal etc. until we find another person suitable for the role.
(edited 9 years ago)
I hope we edge Liverpool out of buying Benzema in the Summer. Giroud & Benzema would be a delight to watch next season upfront was they were in the WC, obviously will have a lesser effect not having Greizzman Poga Cabaye Kos etcetc there but I just love the chemistry both forwards have when they play on the same pitch together.

Marco Reus - do you think we can really push for him? Aswell as a DM? Ilkay Gundogan seems a good buy aswell (remembering the 12/13 season, nearly sent Bayern Munich into oblivion in that Champions League game aswell looked extremely good that season), but every season he is ****ed as he is almost certain to be injury ravaged, and we have a notorious rep for being injury plagued as our medical team is **** anyways.

Most likely living in a dreamworld here, but I genuinely hope Wenger does sort our team out properly so we can challenge for the Champions Leagure properly next year aswell as the Prem. I'd just like to see us competing at the same level as Chelsea with an improved squad, because we are very close, just need strengthening in one or two key positions.
Original post by samba
aw ****, I missed a peggles meltdown :lol:

Wasn't a meltdown ffs, was the truth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4853
Original post by Peggles_*
Wasn't a meltdown ffs, was the truth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got your transfer ready to Man Utd all ready to go :smile: Just need to sign on the bottom line!
Original post by samba
I've got your transfer ready to Man Utd all ready to go :smile: Just need to sign on the bottom line!

Would rather jump off a cliff!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4855
Just looking at the PL table, if Arsenal and united win on the weekend and city lose, they go fourth!

It'll be:

Chelsea
Arsenal
United
City

Posted from TSR Mobile
Newcastle away then Liverpool!

**** man things are getting tense
Original post by AR_95
Newcastle away then Liverpool!

**** man things are getting tense

I know man! I can't wait for these big games! Hopefully we get 4th though!

Spoiler

Original post by Depleted
I know man! I can't wait for these big games! Hopefully we get 4th though!

Spoiler

Liverpool have UTD then us back to back. Imagine if they lose both!!!!!
Original post by SA-1
Just looking at the PL table, if Arsenal and united win on the weekend and city lose, they go fourth!

It'll be:

Chelsea
Arsenal
United
City

Posted from TSR Mobile

Neither will win, and City will, so it's cool.

Latest