The Student Room Group

mechanic 1 edexcel help

when do you put =MA at the end? Sounds like a silly question but im just a bit confused! thanks
Original post by s234590
when do you put =MA at the end? Sounds like a silly question but im just a bit confused! thanks

I'm not sure what you mean - where have you seen this before?
You find the resultant force by resolving and if the resultant force has an unknown you put F(resultant)=MA and insert the acceleration and mass to find unknown; for example the coefficient of friction. Or you do it the other way round, for example you're trying to find the acceleration you put the resultant force and mass into equation, rearrange and viola.
Reply 3
Original post by SeanFM
I'm not sure what you mean - where have you seen this before?

Wasnt very well explained sorry.

You see you have questions where you have to resolve the forces because they are at an angle how comes sometimes when you resolve you =ma
and sometime you just pick a positive direction and make for example the horizontal equal to eachother.

Does that make more sense?
Original post by s234590

You see you have questions where you have to resolve the forces because they are at an angle how comes sometimes when you resolve you =ma
and sometime you just pick a positive direction and make for example the horizontal equal to eachother.

Hmm. A specific example or exam question would be helpful to see where you're getting stuck, but when you're resolving forces you find the resultant force on the mass - which is given by MA.
Original post by s234590

If the object is in equilibrium in the direction you're taking, resolve the forces. If it's not in equilibrium in the direction, i.e. you have a resultant force, F=ma, and plug in numbers
Reply 6
Original post by devangdave
If the object is in equilibrium in the direction you're taking, resolve the forces. If it's not in equilibrium in the direction, i.e. you have a resultant force, F=ma, and plug in numbers

Thank you this makes sense !!

Quick Reply

Latest