The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- helping each other out!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThatMadClown
thats the balanced equation to show you how MgO is formed, the 2 at the front just shows that theres 2 MgO's not the empirical formula :smile:

In other words: the number 2 is too much. So every single number at the front has nothing to do with formulas, its merely needed for balanced equation? Got it.
Original post by Kallisto
In other words: the number 2 is too much. So every single number at the front has nothing to do with formulas, its merely needed for balanced equation? Got it.

yeah it just tells you that there are two moles of magnesium oxide if you're asked to work out the Mr make sure you don't multiply it by 2 if its 2MgO

i.e if you have a substance such as MgCl2 then you multiply the Cl Mr by 2

hope this helps
Original post by chzm
erm I do AQA so you may not have learnt this but
CHEM: What is the definition of electronegativity?
Describe the type of bonding in metals

BIO: Describe how substances can move across the cell surface membrane in different ways

How can a change in the primary structure of an enzyme cause it to become non-functioning.

Okay I'll give this a try but keep in mind I haven't revised or learnt some off these.

1) electronegativity is
2) There are different types of binding in metals but the two most common ones are ionic and metallic. Ionic bonding is where electrons from other metals can be transferred in order to become an alloy or to change charges if the ion which mostly involves redox reaction. Metallic bonds are between atoms which allows the metals to have high melting and boiling point. Metallic bonds are only between metals.

3) substances can move across cell surface membranes through diffusion. The fluid mosaic model exposes that only small molecules can travel through the cell membrane due to its small surface area.

4) A change in the primary structure of an enzyme can cause it to become non functioning as the primary structure determines it's main role. If the structure it's changed its role would change and therefore the original subtrate won't fit in the enzyme.

Okay I gave my best but I believe I made no sense and most is prob wrong :frown: :frown:
Original post by ThatMadClown
yeah it just tells you that there are two moles of magnesium oxide if you're asked to work out the Mr make sure you don't multiply it by 2 if its 2MgO

i.e if you have a substance such as MgCl2 then you multiply the Cl Mr by 2

hope this helps

I think you do. I am not stupid. In your example Cl2 stands for two Cl-Atoms in MgCl2, that is to say this number has nothing to do with a balanced equation, and that is why this number has to be considered in calculation.
I think you do. I am not stupid. In your example Cl2 stands for two Cl-Atoms in MgCl2, that is to say this number has nothing to do with a balanced equation, and that is why this number has to be considered in calculation.

The coefficient of any substance in a balanced equation is simply the molar ratio. Do not use it in Mr calculations.

The only exception is hydrated compounds, such as:

ZnSO4.7H2O

You have to include the 7 waters in the Mr calculation for hydrated zinc sulfate :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mr means molecular mass, which is defined as the mass per mole of a molecule. If you numbers within the empirical formula itself, for example in MgCl2, then you would add the Mr of Magnesium to twice the Mr of Chlorine, and that would give the you the Mr of MgCl2.
However, if there is a number before the empirical formula itself, for example 2MgCl2, that is the same as 2(MgCl2), which is 2 moles of MgCl2. As Mr is mass per mole, finding the mass of 2 moles of the substance would be incorrect unless you divided that by whatever number of moles there are of the substance.
I need to do a "preparation" practical. Can someone give me an idea on what I have to do?
I'm doing edexcel chemistry 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you completed the evaluative controlled assessment on preparing a ketone. Any help or tips.

Thanks very much
Original post by chzm
erm I do AQA so you may not have learnt this but
CHEM: What is the definition of electronegativity?
Describe the type of bonding in metals

BIO: Describe how substances can move across the cell surface membrane in different ways

How can a change in the primary structure of an enzyme cause it to become non-functioning.

If primary structure changes => order of amino acids changes => secondary structure changes => 3D/tertiary structure changes => different shaped actives site => substrate cannot fit enzyme => enzyme-substrate complex cannot form => (so enzyme non functioning)
When an excess of iron filings are added to 25cm(3) of 0.2 mol dm(-3) copper sulphate solution the temperate rises by 7 degrees Celsius. Write an equation for the reaction and calculate the enthalpy change in kJ mol(-1) of FeSO4 formed.

Please help!

Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ohnanailikenanas
When an excess of iron filings are added to 25cm(3) of 0.2 mol dm(-3) copper sulphate solution the temperate rises by 7 degrees Celsius. Write an equation for the reaction and calculate the enthalpy change in kJ mol(-1) of FeSO4 formed.

Please help!

Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need to use q=mct where m is the mass, c is specific heat capacity (usually 4.18) and t is the change in temperature.
then divide this by the number of moles to get the enthalpy change per mole. Remember the sign, the temperature rose so it is exothermic so it should be a negative sign.
Okay, so q = m x c x t

q = ?
m = 0.025
c = 4.18
t = 7

q = 0.025 x 4.18 x 7
q = 0.7315 kJ

n = mass / Mr
n = 25 / 151.9
n = 0.1645819618
n = 0.165

Delta H = q/n

-0.7315 / 0.165

-4.43 kJ mol(-1)

Is this right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please help!

Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

right putting it into simple terms..
In the reactivity series, iron is more reactive than copper, therefore the iron will displace the copper (2) ions.

The iron is acting as a reducing agent so it will have a loss of electrons.
Fe- ----> Fe2+ + 2e-
the copper is being reduced so it gains electrons:
Cu2+ + 2e- -----> Cu
add them upand you get:
Fe + Cu2+ -----> Fe2+ +Cu
so the stoichiometric equation of the reaction is:

Fe (s) + CuSO4(aq) ----> FeSO4(aq) + Cu(s)

now q=m x c x delta T
q= 25 x 4.18 x (final temp- inital temp)
q= 25 x4.18 x 7
q= 721.5 J
( assuming specific heat capacity of the solution is the same as raising the temperature of 1cm^3 of water by 1'c )
now the number of moles of copper sulphate solution is:
moles = concentration x volume (dm^3)
moles= 5x10^-3
now to work out the enthalpy change it will be the negative energy in joules/ divided by the number of moles x 1/1000
so Enthalpy Change is: -721.5/5x10^-3 x 1/1000
so delta H= -144 kJmol^-1 (3sf)
Hope that helps ( A2 student A at AS )
(edited 9 years ago)
But isn't the mass of water supposed to be in kg? 25cm(3) = 25g = 0.025kg? But thanks for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
But isn't the mass of water supposed to be in kg? 25cm(3) = 25g = 0.025kg? But thanks for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

what do you mean? In the working out moles equation? if it gives you the concentration and volume, you use that equation
if it gives you the grams of something you use moles=mass/mr equation and the mass is in grams
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah, sorry! I read over it and I understand it now! Just forget what I said earlier! Thank you so much for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hiya,,, does anyone have any saltars B chemistry resources/ notes that i can use?
thanks for any help...:biggrin:
Original post by mismash
Hiya,,, does anyone have any saltars B chemistry resources/ notes that i can use?
thanks for any help...:biggrin:

http://www.4college.co.uk

Really good for ocr b :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thegreatimposter

thank you very much for the link

Quick Reply

Latest