The Student Room Group

Imperial vs UCL for Economics

Hey!

I am wondering what the reputation for Imperial and UCL are for Economics. I feel as though Imperial's high ranking is primarily because of its sciences, and not because of its Business school? And it seems more competitive to get a place at UCL.

What does everyone think?
Original post by clofore25
Hey!

I am wondering what the reputation for Imperial and UCL are for Economics. I feel as though Imperial's high ranking is primarily because of its sciences, and not because of its Business school? And it seems more competitive to get a place at UCL.

What does everyone think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
ICL is more of a science,engineering and medical uni.UCL is better for economics in my opinion.
Are you considering post-graduate?
Reply 3
Original post by binarythoughts
Are you considering post-graduate?

Yes, masters for both.

Economics and Strategy for Business at Imperial and Economics at UCL
Yes, masters for both.

Posted from TSR Mobile

UCL.UCL.UCL.
Reply 5

Haha, loving the enthusiasm. Any specific reasons why?
Yes, masters for both.

I'd go with UCL out of the two. Even though I'm turning down an offer from them because it's not for me
Haha, loving the enthusiasm. Any specific reasons why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

UCL is more of a finance and Economics uni than ICL.ICL is more of a science and engineering uni. UCL is also in London, a heavily finance and Economics city.UCL is better ranked for economics than ICL.
Go for UCL.Many people can only dream of doing economics at UCL.
Reply 8
Original post by binarythoughts
I'd go with UCL out of the two. Even though I'm turning down an offer from them because it's not for me

Oh. Care to elaborate? :smile:
Oh. Care to elaborate? :smile:

I don't want to put you off UCL because it is an excellent university. But I didn't like the place when I visited and a couple of other factors went into my decision
Reply 10
Def UCL. The ESB program isn't techinically an ECON program and it enrolls too many students...
Reply 11
Original post by alecxke
Def UCL. The ESB program isn't techinically an ECON program and it enrolls too many students...

Do you know how many students they enroll? Because one of the reasons that puts me off ESB is that they seem to accept almost anyone who has the money to pay the tuition fees ...
Reply 12
Do you know how many students they enroll? Because one of the reasons that puts me off ESB is that they seem to accept almost anyone who has the money to pay the tuition fees ...

I heard somwhere the total number would be around 150? A lot of applicants put ESB as their 2nd choice when they apply to IC's highly competitive finance programs...so...
Yes, masters for both.

If the programme at Imperial is housed in Imperial Business School, then go for it. The business school at Imperial has got better advising, better career placement programme and you'll have the opportunity to connect with students from other programmes within the business school such as the MBA students which will expand your network in the business community. Some people replying to you queries don't have knowledge about how advantageous it is to attend a real, well-respected business school compared to one that hasn't.
Reply 14
You'll be able to go into what you want with either uni, just choose which course you prefer.
UCL has a better department and higher quality faculty in managerial econ.
Reply 16
And between ICL for the ESB and KCL for the MSc Int. Management, which one would you choose?
Reply 17
I am also considering ESB at ICBS and still torn between that and Business Consulting at WBS.
not a pure economics based comparison, but would still appreciate any advice.

I already studied International Business as undergrad, so basically my question is:

going for the higher ranked WBS which is not in London and not my favourite course, or opting for the seemingly less reputated ICBS with the location advantage and my preferred course?
please consider that I want to break into consulting with the Master's, and plan to do an MBA in the US after 5-6 years work experience.
I am doing the UCL MSC. Econ now, and my friend is doing the Imperial Econ & Strategy for Business now simultaneously.

Firstly, he failed to get onto my programme and so chose that one, which gives you some idea of quality of your peer group.

Secondly, if you want practicality and to go into business, and are not that strong at maths, go for Imperial. It is an applied course and has very little economics at all, but you will have good connections through the business school.

UCL's MSC Economics programme is extremely rigorous and mathematical - more so than LSE's MSC Econ. If you are a pure economist then this is 100% the programme for you. The advanced microeconometrics is excellent in particular. You will have limited career support however. They in fact actively discourage job searching due to the rigour of the programme.
Alot of people are putting personal preference over logic in this thread.

If the question were say MBS vs UCL then yeah probably UCLs overall prestige and london location would make up for its lack of a business school.

However IBS is by FAR the better choice for your career than going to a university without a business school, i'd argue even cass is better for your future (debatable). But one things for certain IBS>>>>>UCL. Seriously ICL,LSE,WBS or said are you best bets.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending