The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wolftablet
hi guys I'm 10. Can someone make a cambridge 2023 entry thread please? thanks.

I wouldn't worry so much just yet...
Just make sure you get >95% UMS on your SATs and you're set :wink:
I'm taking maths, further maths, chemistry, physics, economics and epq. dropping economics at y13 haha
would love to apply for natsci (physical). Do they care a lot about teacher references? My teachers are a bit drab so probably won't write anything stellar enough to win me a place at Cambridge haha
Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg,the guy who rid String theory of mathematical anomalies is a professor at Cambridge!
Original post by Sydian
I'm taking maths, further maths, chemistry, physics, economics and epq. dropping economics at y13 haha
would love to apply for natsci (physical). Do they care a lot about teacher references? My teachers are a bit drab so probably won't write anything stellar enough to win me a place at Cambridge haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey dude,can yourself with a physics question?I've done the maths but not sure how to use it to interpret the question.
Original post by fizzers
Yep, of course, thanks for the advice! I might get started with the mechanics modules after I finish my exams and just briefly learn some of the pure maths. Thanks again! Are you at Cambridge now?

No worries! and haha sadly no, (or at least not yet :smile:). I'm in year 12 hoping to do medicine. Yeh good idea, i'm doing FM right now and M1 and FP1 are modules you can mostly teach yourself (with the exception of some slightly more abstract topics in FP1). I haven't done M2 but heard it's an interesting module!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wolftablet
hi guys I'm 10. Can someone make a cambridge 2023 entry thread please? thanks.

If you can't work out how to do it yourself you have absolutely no chance of getting in. Life already over.
Sad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nurav11
No worries! and haha sadly no, (or at least not yet :smile:). I'm in year 12 hoping to do medicine. Yeh good idea, i'm doing FM right now and M1 and FP1 are modules you can mostly teach yourself (with the exception of some slightly more abstract topics in FP1). I haven't done M2 but heard it's an interesting module!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I'm actually in a Medicine/NatSci dilemma (although Natsci is starting to win me over) haha. Well, all the best for your studies and hoep we both get in! :tongue:
Original post by fizzers
Yeah, I'm actually in a Medicine/NatSci dilemma (although Natsci is starting to win me over) haha. Well, all the best for your studies and hoep we both get in! :tongue:

I chose natsci, kinda wish I went for med
Original post by L'Evil Fish

Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Medicine is a quicker way into making a difference I feel. And I think I'd thrive under the pressure of quick decision making within surgery. It's also quite like... Challenging.

NatSci my intention was to do something I enjoy, going into pharmaceuticals and helping that way. But it's a bit less direct and slow imo, and theory you can always learn, with medicine you need a knack for it, and practise.

There's also an air of success in becoming a doctor I think, so I grad entry med is appealing, even if it slow and expensive

Will see anyway
Medicine is a quicker way into making a difference I feel. And I think I'd thrive under the pressure of quick decision making within surgery. It's also quite like... Challenging.

NatSci my intention was to do something I enjoy, going into pharmaceuticals and helping that way. But it's a bit less direct and slow imo, and theory you can always learn, with medicine you need a knack for it, and practise.

There's also an air of success in becoming a doctor I think, so I grad entry med is appealing, even if it slow and expensive

Will see anyway

Fair enough
If you ever become a doctor you will probably be able to pay the postgrad money back :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fizzers

Ohh ok, two of the best choices imo :smile:. I guess if you are more keen on the academic side of medicine and learning about biochemistry in general, natsci is probably the better course. Maybe if it's more 'social' side you want as well as the academic side then medicine is better. Ultimately, do what you really want to do in the end and yeh thanks, best of luck to you too and hope we can too! :P.

Sounds like you could easily do grad medicine judging by your offers :P (well done on them by the way!), if you're really feeling like you're missing out on medicine then change but your career prospects are set with a degree in natsci from Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Fair enough
If you ever become a doctor you will probably be able to pay the postgrad money back :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want to go into investment banking to make lots of money so I can go into grad entry without stressing about debts

Original post by nurav11
Ohh ok, two of the best choices imo :smile:. I guess if you are more keen on the academic side of medicine and learning about biochemistry in general, natsci is probably the better course. Maybe if it's more 'social' side you want as well as the academic side then medicine is better. Ultimately, do what you really want to do in the end and yeh thanks, best of luck to you too and hope we can too! :P.

Sounds like you could easily do grad medicine judging by your offers :P (well done on them by the way!), if you're really feeling like you're missing out on medicine then change but your career prospects are set with a degree in natsci from Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks :smile: got rejected by St A though so probably couldn't get in there for gem lol

I don't want to drop out with a Cambridge offer tbh, we live long enough, I'm sure I'll have time time for both! (unless something tragic happens)

Thanks :smile: got rejected by St A though so probably couldn't get in there for gem lol

I don't want to drop out with a Cambridge offer tbh, we live long enough, I'm sure I'll have time time for both! (unless something tragic happens)

Yep haha definitely but at least these are the decisions you want to be making. But you seem set on your path which is great :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? Unless you really want to become an actual doctor you can always do biological NatSci and do physiology?
Original post by fizzers
Really? Unless you really want to become an actual doctor you can always do biological NatSci and do physiology?

No way lol

Would have to be an actual doctor
No way lol

Would have to be an actual doctor

Did you not consider Med? Or did you blindly chose NatSci?
Original post by Protoxylic
Did you not consider Med? Or did you blindly chose NatSci?

It wasn't blind, bit harsh :lol:

I thought about Medicine, I knew I wouldn't volunteer and do all the necessary crap right now. All the hoop jumping so it would have been a futile application I imagine.
It wasn't blind, bit harsh :lol:

I thought about Medicine, I knew I wouldn't volunteer and do all the necessary crap right now. All the hoop jumping so it would have been a futile application I imagine.

I think this highlights that you don't really want to do Medicine/be a Doctor. All that 'necessary crap' and 'hoop jumping' wouldn't be seen that way if so.
Original post by Lucilou101
I think this highlights that you don't really want to do Medicine/be a Doctor. All that 'necessary crap' and 'hoop jumping' wouldn't be seen that way if so.

That's not a fair assessment at all. Everyone knows it's a load of crap, even medics say it.

It is indeed hoop jumping, and you can't argue that.

A good doctor is someone who cares, can work under pressure, can manage and work as part of a team and communicate.

Just because you work in a charity shop once a week doesn't mean you are an amazing compassionate person.

If you asked how many people volunteered for the sake of their application, the number of people would be much higher than you'd think.

Latest

Trending

Trending