The Student Room Group

Self teaching 3 A Levels in 6 months?

I am currently self teaching 6 IGCSEs and planning on taking the exams in the October/ November examination series, I am then planning on studying 3 A Levels (Biology, Chemistry and Maths) and taking the exams in the May/June exam series. Do you think this is possible alongside a part time job? Any tips on how to give myself the best chance on getting the A/A*'s I'm aiming for?

Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
why?
Reply 2
Original post by BecomingEvelyn
I am currently self teaching 6 IGCSEs and planning on taking the exams in the October/ November examination series, I am then planning on studying 3 A Levels (Biology, Chemistry and Maths) and taking the exams in the May/June exam series. Do you think this is possible alongside a part time job? Any tips on how to give myself the best chance on getting the A/A*'s I'm aiming for?

Probably not.

Are you in the UK?
Do you have a plan (and the money) to achieve the Biology and Chemistry A level practical units?
Are you purely self studying or are you getting any help?
wow, well first, goodluck with that seriously wish you the best. And ummm...revise from DAY 1, I literally mean that, day 1, start revision and always be on top of the work, do past papers constantly, without doing past papers, you'll be useless in the exam. The content for biology personally isn't hard, it's the way the question is asked and you 'applying your knowledge' is what makes it really hard. And go on AQA website and there's a list of words that they use in the exam papers and it tells you what they mean, so you'll know what the questions are asking you. omg and look at the mark schemes and what the examiners say, they'll tell you what most people got wrong or didn't understand or understood wrong. And part time job..hmm if you want A's and your doing a part time job, you're practically killing yourself man

http://www.aqa.org.uk/student-support/for-students/revision/understanding-the-question <web for the meaning of the words
goodluck man :smile:
PS youtube vids help ALOT !
(edited 9 years ago)
A Levels? AS then maybe but A levels? It's not impossible but you'll have to devote every single waking hour into learning; there's no way you could get a job alongside

Why the rush? I've got some mates who think our 2 years are too short, but probably cos they had a lazy year 12 haha
Reply 5
easy, imo.
Thank you for the answers,

I want to apply to US university next year, yes I am in the UK and yes I have the money, IGCSEs should be easy but A Levels I haven't done before, I am planning on doing Spanish as a back up in case I don't get an A/A* in one of my other subjects as I am bilingual and already fluent in Spanish (my old Spanish teacher always just wanted me to take exams because she said I would be bored in the classes). Have any of you self taught before? If so how long did it take you? I read about a guy who did 22 A Levels in a year and figured that if he can do it, so can I (but I don't want or need 22) :smile:
22 a levels?!? That guy must have been a machine.

There's a reason why most people struggle at a levels as it is
Reply 8
Only if you work daily for 10+ hours and have an incredibly good memory, and are prepared to revise from day 1; thus, it is probably not possible with a part-time job on the go a well.

I see you mentioned the guy who did 22 A-Levels. He clearly has a prodigious talent for remembering things well in advance of practically everyone, so I don't really think that his performance can be used as a metric for us hard-working, but relatively 'normal' people.
It depends on the A-Levels you want to do but probably not.
Thank you for the answers,

I want to apply to US university next year, yes I am in the UK and yes I have the money, IGCSEs should be easy but A Levels I haven't done before,

How old are you? If you are bright enough to do this then why haven't you got any GCSEs already?
I'm 17, and because I lived abroad all my life, went into foster care at 14, and I was told it was too late to do my exams by the time I got enrolled into school. worked to move out alone at the age of 16 and have supported myself with no help ever since. Plus I am studying too. And no, that person was no brighter than anyone else, its just that other people's negativity prevents them from testing what is deemed as "impossible". And if I fail any of them, I will take them again. Also I do have some GCSEs that I just sat the exams for without study (languages) but not enough, I need all the Sciences, Mathematics and there are some others I would like to do. Would it be possible to skip IGCSEs and just do A Levels? that way I would have a year to do the A Levels.
(edited 9 years ago)
So you claim that what stops people from achieving are others being negative, but then make a topic on a public board - where it is quite inevitable that somebody will attempt to bring you down - and ask if it's possible for you to reach your goals?

You either believe in yourself without doubt and go for it, or try to look for answers on whether potential can be met with some unknown TSR dudes wasting your time. It's obvious you have doubts, but nobody here will be able to tell if you have what it takes, so if you really want it, then pull yourself together and go and see for yourself.

Peace.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm 17, and because I lived abroad all my life, went into foster care at 14, and I was told it was too late to do my exams by the time I got enrolled into school. worked to move out alone at the age of 16 and have supported myself with no help ever since. Plus I am studying too. And no, that person was no brighter than anyone else, its just that other people's negativity prevents them from testing what is deemed as "impossible". And if I fail any of them, I will take them again. Also I do have some GCSEs that I just sat the exams for without study (languages) but not enough, I need all the Sciences, Mathematics and there are some others I would like to do. Would it be possible to skip IGCSEs and just do A Levels? that way I would have a year to do the A Levels.

You need the IGCSEs for university applications or employment, A-levels aren't good enough.
You're probably going to want to start studying your A-levels in parallel with your IGCSEs as you have five months for IGCSEs and six months for A-levels.
Would it be possible to skip IGCSEs and just do A Levels? that way I would have a year to do the A Levels.

Realistically, for university, you do need Maths and English and at least 3 more GCSEs so you do need to get these done.
Reply 15
Of course you can do it! I taught myself a whole subject in just two months and got the highest grade but because I was so determined !!!! If you think the human mind cannot comprehend such levels of information then you're wrong. We have unlimited amounts of capability! If you want it hard enough, you will and I mean WILL get it! You just need to grind everyday .. I mean 10-12 hours daily. I'm doing thre same right now and although nervous I will fight for it ! You literally just have to organise everything, calm down and work on remember things. Also, note the more you practice the better you will remember in the exam ☺️ Good luck (ps don't let anyone tell you you can't do it, it's doable else there wouldn't be fast track courses would there!!)x
Original post by AyMun
Of course you can do it! I taught myself a whole subject in just two months and got the highest grade but because I was so determined !!!! If you think the human mind cannot comprehend such levels of information then you're wrong. We have unlimited amounts of capability! If you want it hard enough, you will and I mean WILL get it! You just need to grind everyday .. I mean 10-12 hours daily. I'm doing thre same right now and although nervous I will fight for it ! You literally just have to organise everything, calm down and work on remember things. Also, note the more you practice the better you will remember in the exam ☺️ Good luck (ps don't let anyone tell you you can't do it, it's doable else there wouldn't be fast track courses would there!!)x

Well, I'm self-teaching 4 A-levels: Chemistry, Physics, Maths (C1 & C2), Further Maths(F1 and M1). I'll be taking my exam in the May/June 2017 examination series. I've finished all of them and I'm revising. I've got no teachers to help me with my doubts. Do you have any ideas on how I could improve?
Firstly, I want to wish you the best of luck in this!
I'm just wondering if there's a sixth form or college that you can enroll in that will help you through this process?
I think that IGCSEs will be a walk in the park once you've done A levels, so maybe take them in the same exam series (I don't know if this is possible, but you'll be almost guaranteed good IGCSE grades in maths and science).
I'm currently studying biology, chemistry and maths at A2 so I can give you a bit of insight into the difficulty of the course. I have only ever self-taught biology AS- I did it over 5 weeks whilst also preparing for some aptitude tests and being abroad for a bit. I'm fairly confident that self-teaching biology will probably not be an issue. Whilst AS maths is fairly simple for anyone confident in maths, A2 maths is not a walk in the park- however, I do think it's possible to self-teach it. Don't forget that you can only do well in maths if you do a huge amount of practice- you will need to leave time for a lot of practice after you've actually finished learning. For me, chemistry is the issue. Chemistry A2 gets extremely difficult, and there is a huge amount of information to learn. I personally wouldn't be able to do it in a few months.
If you really want this, it is most definitely possible, but it may take longer than you expect. Please let me know if you want any more insight into these A levels or my experience with self-teaching biology.
Also I do have some GCSEs that I just sat the exams for without study (languages) but not enough, I need all the Sciences, Mathematics and there are some others I would like to do.

Which others are you planning to do? Are you going to take English Language? A lot of work places in the UK are extremely insistent on only hiring people with passes in GCSE maths and English.
Original post by Reshyna
Well, I'm self-teaching 4 A-levels: Chemistry, Physics, Maths (C1 & C2), Further Maths(F1 and M1). I'll be taking my exam in the May/June 2017 examination series. I've finished all of them and I'm revising. I've got no teachers to help me with my doubts. Do you have any ideas on how I could improve?

when did you start self-teaching and how old are you?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest