The Student Room Group

HELP A-Level Results

To start, I need 3 As on results day to get into my desired uni. Judging from how my exams went, I am like 70% certain I won’t get an A for AQA psychology. This may be due to the fact that I had to teach myself all of the paper 3 topics and more than half of the paper 2 topics. This really made me flunk the paper 2 and paper 3 exams despite my hardest efforts to teach myself the specification. My teacher was off sick for 2 months this year and my school couldn’t find a suitable substitute teacher to teach us for those 2 months.

My teacher was… possibly the worst teacher I’ve ever had. For example, this teacher had spent most of the year looking over only paper 1 content which was already covered in AS. She did this by doing useless model answers all year. She did the same for the paper 2 topics (We sort of covered paper 2 content but not really) For the most part, she told us to read the content ourselves. She never even gave proper feedback on prepared essays. It was difficult to know how I needed to improve my answers.

I spent most of the year focusing all of my time on a-level psychology instead of other subjects too due to having to attend useless psychology classes then going home/using study breaks to teach myself what was supposed to be taught in class.

Leading up the exams, as a straight A student, I had so much anxiety from realising how much content wasn’t covered in class. This made me doubt my abilities in the exams. Although I did self teach myself basically the entire specification, I fear that it wasn’t enough. Most of the students in my psychology class have reported this to the principal because they felt the same way and worse (because not everyone learned the whole specification in their own time) but I’m not sure they’re going to do anything about it.

Do I report this? Should the university i applied to be notified of this? I seriously believe my chances of getting an A have been lowered due to this one teacher. I don’t want myself or other students to be disadvantaged because of this.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by vvaa
To start, I need 3 As on results day to get into my desired uni. Judging from how my exams went, I am like 70% certain I won’t get an A for AQA psychology. This may be due to the fact that I had to teach myself all of the paper 3 topics and more than half of the paper 2 topics. This really made me flunk the paper 2 and paper 3 exams despite my hardest efforts to teach myself the specification. My teacher was off sick for 2 months this year and my school couldn’t find a suitable substitute teacher to teach us for those 2 months.

My teacher was… possibly the worst teacher I’ve ever had. For example, this teacher had spent most of the year looking over only paper 1 content which was already covered in AS. She did this by doing useless model answers all year. She did the same for the paper 2 topics (We sort of covered paper 2 content but not really) For the most part, she told us to read the content ourselves. She never even gave proper feedback on prepared essays. It was difficult to know how I needed to improve my answers.

I spent most of the year focusing all of my time on a-level psychology instead of other subjects too due to having to attend useless psychology classes then going home/using study breaks to teach myself what was supposed to be taught in class.

Leading up the exams, as a straight A student, I had so much anxiety from realising how much content wasn’t covered in class. This made me doubt my abilities in the exams. Although I did self teach myself basically the entire specification, I fear that it wasn’t enough. Most of the students in my psychology class have reported this to the principal because they felt the same way and worse (because not everyone learned the whole specification in their own time) but I’m not sure they’re going to do anything about it.

Do I report this? Should the university i applied to be notified of this? I seriously believe my chances of getting an A have been lowered due to this one teacher. I don’t want myself or other students to be disadvantaged because of this.

I'm in a very similar position. I need 3 A's for Uni and feel like I messed up AQA psych. I also have a terrible psych teacher whilst my maths/history are great. I think generally there aren't many psychology teachers around so the few crap ones there manage to get hired. It was the same deal with Mandarin at GCSE. It's not worth stressing about tho essay subjects are so random you can never predict what you're going to get I 100% thought I was set for a D after my AS exam and ended up with a B. If you were to contact them at all I'd 100% do it after results day bcs if everyone in ur class got crap grades you'd have a bargaining point whereas if you contacted them now it's just your word and they probably wouldn't do anything.
Reply 2
Original post by MA-HI05
I'm in a very similar position. I need 3 A's for Uni and feel like I messed up AQA psych. I also have a terrible psych teacher whilst my maths/history are great. I think generally there aren't many psychology teachers around so the few crap ones there manage to get hired. It was the same deal with Mandarin at GCSE. It's not worth stressing about tho essay subjects are so random you can never predict what you're going to get I 100% thought I was set for a D after my AS exam and ended up with a B. If you were to contact them at all I'd 100% do it after results day bcs if everyone in ur class got crap grades you'd have a bargaining point whereas if you contacted them now it's just your word and they probably wouldn't do anything.

Good point! Thanks for your reply
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest