The Student Room Group

AQA AS Psychology B Psyb1/Psyb2

Hi guys I couldn't find an offical thread for Psyb1 or psyb2 so I thought I would make one so we help eachother out :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey! I am stressing about all the studies you have to know :frown:
Original post by hyeoell
Hey! I am stressing about all the studies you have to know :frown:

I did that exam last year and I'm repeating the unit 1 exam again this year to secure the A. You really don't need to know all the studies, that's where I went wrong last year as I was stressing too much about knowing them all. Just go through each topic and choose one study per sub section. In each section, there are so many studies which have the same conclusion or aim. Eg in gender - biological (hormones=van goozen) (chromosomes = Klinefelter and turners syndrome).. There's more in the textbook but you don't need them
Reply 3
Original post by matthewc212
I did that exam last year and I'm repeating the unit 1 exam again this year to secure the A. You really don't need to know all the studies, that's where I went wrong last year as I was stressing too much about knowing them all. Just go through each topic and choose one study per sub section. In each section, there are so many studies which have the same conclusion or aim. Eg in gender - biological (hormones=van goozen) (chromosomes = Klinefelter and turners syndrome).. There's more in the textbook but you don't need them

Sounds like good advice! Any other tips from last year?
Original post by hyeoell
Sounds like good advice! Any other tips from last year?

Yes! Go straight to the research methods section first and get it done and dusted as fast as possible. This allows you to have maximum time in your essays for sections a and b. Also, structure each point in your essays into separate smaller paragraphs. So your essay should have 10 paragraphs. This makes it a whole lot easier for your examiner to mark it and identify where you are looking for a mark
Does anyone have any predictions as to what will come up for essays this year for unit 1???
The Biological approach hasnt come up for a while now.. so it could be a possibility
Original post by annabanana11
The Biological approach hasnt come up for a while now.. so it could be a possibility

What would be your 5 ao1 points for the biological approach essay? Which study would you use for one of those points?
so my 5 AO1 points would be:
genetics- inherited from parents, determine all behaviour
genotype and phenotype
CNS- case studies on brain damaged patients (Brocca)
chemical processes- eg serotonin levels
evolution and natural selection

AO2 Points:
Compare with SLT, doesnt account for environmental factors like SLT would
Led to developments of drugs such as anti depressants
behaviourists would argue we learn our intelligence and its not down to genetics (twin and adoption studies)
Darwin generalised too much between humans and animals
Uses scientific experiments which are controlled (reliable?) (lack ecological validity?)

I hope thats of some use to you
so my 5 AO1 points would be:
genetics- inherited from parents, determine all behaviour
genotype and phenotype
CNS- case studies on brain damaged patients (Brocca)
chemical processes- eg serotonin levels
evolution and natural selection

AO2 Points:
Compare with SLT, doesnt account for environmental factors like SLT would
Led to developments of drugs such as anti depressants
behaviourists would argue we learn our intelligence and its not down to genetics (twin and adoption studies)
Darwin generalised too much between humans and animals
Uses scientific experiments which are controlled (reliable?) (lack ecological validity?)

I hope thats of some use to you

Yeah that's great thanks, I'm doing A2 this year and the breakdown is 4 AO1 and 8 AO2 so I'm not used to writing so much knowledge information anymore!
good luck :smile: dont suppose you have any useful notes on any of the gender parts as thats the part im struggling with at the moment
good luck :smile: dont suppose you have any useful notes on any of the gender parts as thats the part im struggling with at the moment

I can't seem to find most of my notes from last year its so annoying. Although if you have any questions about anything you need to be explained just message me

I would check out this as it gives good concise notes on all gender topics :smile:

http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/gender_notes_psychology_aqa_b
Does anyone have clear notes on the different topics and their research studies?
Reply 14
I'm dreading the essays, they are my weakest area by far. Does anyone have any model essays at all? That would be so helpful!
Reply 15
Original post by matthewc212
Yes! Go straight to the research methods section first and get it done and dusted as fast as possible. This allows you to have maximum time in your essays for sections a and b. Also, structure each point in your essays into separate smaller paragraphs. So your essay should have 10 paragraphs. This makes it a whole lot easier for your examiner to mark it and identify where you are looking for a mark

I am resitting aswell I lost track of time and didnt really start reasearch methods. Glad I wasnt the only one.

Good luck with this years paper
Original post by dmet
I am resitting aswell I lost track of time and didnt really start reasearch methods. Glad I wasnt the only one.

Good luck with this years paper

Thank you! You too
Reply 17
Does anyone know what is likely to come up for gender development section?
Reply 18
I can't work it out from past papers all the subjects have been on in the last 3 years. I'm revising them all

Posted from TSR Mobile
A nature v nurture gender essay has never come up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending