The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BBeyond
the harder the paper the better :wink: i'd like to think we have a much better chance of getting hard questions right than the majority of the country, and imagine the grade boundary drop :biggrin:

Also I tend to concentrate more and make less silly mistakes when a question is harder. (Explains why I do better in C2 papers)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BBeyond
the harder the paper the better :wink: i'd like to think we have a much better chance of getting hard questions right than the majority of the country, and imagine the grade boundary drop :biggrin:

Yeh exactly, that's what I'd hope but if I mess up on one of those tough questions then I'd join the rest of the country ahah. So probably not too hard but decently tricky and hope for nice and low grade boundaries :biggrin:
Original post by nurav11
Yeh exactly, that's what I'd hope but if I mess up on one of those tough questions then I'd join the rest of the country ahah. So probably not too hard but decently tricky and hope for nice and low grade boundaries :biggrin:

I'm happy if it's just hard enough to allow two marks buffer for silly mistakes :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know how CEA marks exams, coz 3 of my subjects are on the CEA exam board. See for chemistry and the chem practical - how do they judge UMS? What about Edexcel maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
I'm happy if it's just hard enough to allow two marks buffer for silly mistakes :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup haha that would be perfect. And you hope that the rest of the country makes silly mistakes too so everyone's comes down lol.
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Does anyone know how CEA marks exams, coz 3 of my subjects are on the CEA exam board. See for chemistry and the chem practical - how do they judge UMS? What about Edexcel maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edexcel maths varies greatly by module

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was thinking about C1, C2 and S1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nurav11
Are these the same as PSAs for OCR? :s-smilie: (mine was out of 40 aswell)

Probably. Are you on OCR A for Chemistry?
I was thinking about C1, C2 and S1

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not too harsh at least when compared to s2 c3 m2 etc but depending on the difficulty of the paper you will still need to get 70+ to get 95%

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

For Edexcel maths, especially in C1 and C2, it's usually full raw marks for full UMS. I think there's a bit of slack for the applied units
What about CEA anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wawasan
I honestly think that given that we have 90 minutes for Core 1, there is ample time to check for mistakes like thrice over :P To that extent, some of my worries about mistakes have faded a bit and rightly so - I suppose that when we've been doing practice papers we might not have checked over mistakes and therefore have finished in like 45 minutes - come Wednesday, that gives us half of the exam time to heck over stuff!

Yep definitely - I'm really looking forward to it but also, I do have a positive thought in mind that whenever we do make mistakes, so long as we have answered every question, its very unlikely for us to actually dip significantly below where we should be!

Hah, very true :biggrin: I'll probably go through the paper 2 without looking at my answers for calculation errors.

Very true!never underestimate the usefulness of method marks :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone actually know what full ums is? :lol: like is their a set rule to get it or is it like always full marks (doubtful)? I've always. Guessed by how far above an A the mark was but had no reference :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lyricalvibe
Does anyone actually know what full ums is? :lol: like is their a set rule to get it or is it like always full marks (doubtful)? I've always. Guessed by how far above an A the mark was but had no reference :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

In subjects such as physics you can drop like 15 marks and get 100% in maths it is normally 75/75 for AS modules depending on difficulty. Tgere are ums converters online for each board

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by enaayrah
Probably. Are you on OCR A for Chemistry?

Yup, it'll be F321 and F322 the modules I'm doing. (It's definitely not the salters module).

Posted from TSR Mobile

For AQA
http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums
Edexcel has spreadsheet to download
I don't know about other boards

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nurav11
Are these the same as PSAs for OCR? :s-smilie: (mine was out of 40 aswell)

Yeah I think they're referring to PSAs. :P I got 39/40 for chemistry and knowing OCR, that's probably only 90ish% UMS, not even close to 100% :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

As a rule of thumb, the best way my teacher told us was take the A to B boundary, double it, then add that on to the A grade for 100 UMS. But this can vary a lot so it's not a hard and fast rule.
Original post by nurav11
Yup, it'll be F321 and F322 the modules I'm doing. (It's definitely not the salters module).

:five:
So yeah ISA=PSA, our tutors just call it ISAs lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Take the A boundary mark and add twice the difference between the B and A boundaries.

Latest

Trending

Trending