The Student Room Group

AS Psychology AQA PSYA1/2 Revision Thread 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hannah4262
How long would you guys recommend spending on the 12-marker? I'm gonna leave it till the end but I haven't actually done any timed past papers so I'm not sue how long to leave for it?

I usually spend 3 minutes at the start of the exam looking through the paper and reading every single question, just so I get a feel of the way that the examiners are asking the questions, and to settle myself down. This way, when you are on your last question (possibly the 12 marker) you don't get a massive shock and suddenly lose the will to live because it looks so disgusting to answer!

Personally, I try to spend about 12 minutes on the 12 markers, and definitely no longer than 15 minutes. If you spend any shorter, you probably aren't putting in enough detail to your A02. People forget that A02 is still worth half of the 12 marks in the question!!!

I also don't do the paper in order. I always do the 12 marker first, as it's the biggest level marked question, then I do the next biggest stepped question (usually an 8 or a 7 mark). That way, I am often confident that I've got a quite good score in both. If you run out of time, and all you have left is a two mark question, you can probably scribble down something and get at least a mark. If you have 3 minutes of the exam left and find that you still have a 4 mark and the 12 mark to go, you'll probably panic!

Good luck, you'll be great. Keeping an eye on the time is always the first step to success!
How would you use Hodges and Tizard's study for both privation and institutionalisation? :confused:
Reply 702
for an 8 mark question asking to outline and evaluate research into how age can affect EWT, will one research be enough? one research study along with 3 AO2 points? Or is it best to do 2 research studies?
Reply 703
Original post by omanadilahko
How would you use Hodges and Tizard's study for both privation and institutionalisation? :confused:

Institutionalisation is a type of privation :smile: so you can say how the children had negative consequences later on (when they struggled to form social relationships at school etc). remember the children studied were from the age of 6 months all the way up to 16 years.
Original post by chloenew23
Best way to revise tonight and tomorrow morning?!

im feeling okay about the exam, i just want to finish off my revision with something productive?

I would reccommend you listen to these, they're really helpful as a overview over everything! Good luck with your exam!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRls5uF0qKc&list=PLKxB8LxRNLrVypExUduDU9-Vq-e7a4oww

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxB8LxRNLrVo8kFQa5Qvu9cuAHQBH8Vw
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by chloenew23
Best way to revise tonight and tomorrow morning?!

im feeling okay about the exam, i just want to finish off my revision with something productive?

First, eat some food and relax. Then just go over what you think is the most difficult to recall.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NutE
for an 8 mark question asking to outline and evaluate research into how age can affect EWT, will one research be enough? one research study along with 3 AO2 points? Or is it best to do 2 research studies?

i would use two, but use one main study and then just a sentance to say that ********* also found that this was true... xxx
Not sure if someone's already shared this, but here are some predictions for tomorrow's paper: http://www.loopa.co.uk/as-psychology-2015-psya1-exam-predictions-aqa/
Reply 708
I have seriously revised hard but im feeling soo blank atm
Hodges and Tigard and Rutter can be used for both
I'd say about 1/6 because spelling is appalling and the information is not accurate or detailed
Original post by K3lvin
Would this be enough for 6/6 for a01 of the strange situation

Ainswroth conducted a controllen observation recording the reactions of a child and mother who were introduced into a strange room with toys. 100 American infants and there mothers took part. Infants behaviour was observed during a set of pre determined activities which involved the child experiencing eight episodes for 3 minutes. the child is observed playing for 20 mins while the caregiver stranger enter and leave the room, Observer notes the childs willingness to explore, seperation anxiety stranger anxiety and re union behaviour. they found that 70% were securely attached and 15% were insecurely resistant/avoidant.

How many marks would this get me for a01 please

about 1/6 due to the fact it is not detailed, and not accurate, also the spelling is awful
Original post by Oiseaux
Not sure if someone's already shared this, but here are some predictions for tomorrow's paper: http://www.loopa.co.uk/as-psychology-2015-psya1-exam-predictions-aqa/

Thanks for this!
I have done 3 past papers over the weekend, I have marked them myself and have managed to get A's? Over the year i've been getting some A's (in the end of unit tests on memory) but C's on the unit 2 tests. And a B in my mock. I hope i'm marking myself accurately!

For AO2, do we always have to evaluate on the research method, validity, etc?

What are you hoping/thinking will come up as the 12 mark qu? I hope multi-store model comes up! I hate the impact of day care etc but i have a feeling that will pop up..
"How research into attachment has influenced childcare practices" is on the predictions list - anyone got anything for this? I know the basics, but I don't think I could answer a 12 marker on this, unless it wanted you to talk about EPPE?
Reply 715
I would like to get some opinions on the possible 12 mark questions that have a chance of popping up tomorrow. I have looked at Loopa's predictions as well as some earlier on in this forum, however I want to know what some students are thinking.
Reply 716
'How research into attachment and day care has influenced child care practices' A01

Day care refers to care of children by carers other than their parents. For example: Nursery or pre-school.

Day care research has provided evidence for improving child care practices. Shaffer(1998) suggested that the following features are important for high quality care. He encouraged: Low staff turnover, low staff to child ratio, keeping routines the same and assigning a key worker to each child.

Attachment is the strong, enduring and emotional bond between two people where each seeks closeness and feels secure when in the presence of their attachment figure.

Attachment research has had an important influence of the ways in which children are cared for. According to Robertson and Robertson, when a child's attachment is disrupted a high level of substitute emotional care should be provided. This include keeping their routines the same and paying attention to them. The case study on John also influenced the children's wards in hospitals to routinely allow parents to stay with their children and vice versa.

According to Hodges and Tizard when a child is institutionalized a high level of 1:1 emotional care should be provided such as keeping the staff to child ratio low and low staff turnover.
Reply 717
How many marks would this get out of 6? Thanks ^
detailed AO1 points for Genie please as only get brief notes on it
Original post by harvfox
I would like to get some opinions on the possible 12 mark questions that have a chance of popping up tomorrow. I have looked at Loopa's predictions as well as some earlier on in this forum, however I want to know what some students are thinking.

I think the Working Memory Model is more likely to come up compared to the Multi Store Model, since the last time WMM made an appearance as a 12 marker was in Jan 11, whereas the MSM was more recent. But then institutionalisation hasn't come up since June 10...

I'm mostly going over my 12 markers for WMM, institutionalisation and learning theory.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending