The Student Room Group

AS Psychology AQA PSYA1/2 Revision Thread 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by amybrennand123
he changed the name of it from critical to sensitive because of criticisms

So is it the same thing ?,
Original post by Romanoff
Just bumping this up as some are asking.

Thank you! That's cleared it up for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
How do you answer a 12 marker on the learning theory?
Original post by Madiah123
So is it the same thing ?,

yeah but when outlining bowlby for a01 the correct terminology is critical period
Original post by Jimwicks323

One explanation of attachment is learning theory. Learning theory is a behavioral (we learn everything through experiences!) approach and suggests that attachment is learned through classical or operant conditioning.

Classical conditioning involves learning through ASSOCIATION. Food (unconditioned stimulus (UCS)) produces a sense pleasure (unconditioned response (UCR)). The person who is feeding (usually the mother) is the neutral stimulus (NS) and becomes ASSOCIATED with the food. The feeder then becomes the conditioned stimulus (CS) and produces the feeling of pleasure associated with the food (conditioned response (CR))(even when food isn't present). This ASSOCIATION between an infant and caregiver is what leads to an attachment - according to classical conditioning. - This is based on Pavlov's research, you can describe that for a longer mark answer and then relate it to attachment by saying the above, but for any other ATTACHMENT question, this is enough.

Operant conditioning involves learning through REINFORCEMENT. The hungry infant feels uncomfortable and this creates a drive state to reduce the discomfort. When the infant is fed, the drive state is reduced and this produces a feeling of pleasure (which is rewarding). Food becomes a primary reinforcer and the person associated with avoiding the discomfort (the person feeding, e.g. mother) becomes a secondary reinforcer. This leads to an attachment being formed.

You can then go on to evaluate this by saying that learning theory suggests that food is the device to which an attachment can be formed however as research has found, e.g. Harlow (and explain what he found), this may not be the case. You can also support it by using Lorenz

Bumping this up for Jim.
Reply 805
Original post by Jimwicks323

I very very very very much doubt it will come up as a 12 marker, knock on wood. But either way, just outline how attachment is learned through classical and operant conditioning. Then for AO2 you can call it reductionist and say that a more holistic approach such as Bowlby's is better at explaining attachment, as well as Harlow's monkey study showing that sensitive care is also an important factor in developing attachment, not just food and survival as the learning theory suggests.
Original post by k.bryan4
short-term involves chunking, loci, acronyms

long-term involves loci (as pairing room with item helps give it meaning), rehersal

Ok, thank you so much!
Don't forget you can just draw the WMM/MSM for easy full AO1 points!
Can someone pls help me with this question? I'm confused as to how to link to the stem with the memory improvement strategies??
:frown:
A student was revising Bowlby’s theory of attachment. He was trying to remember thenames of some features of Bowlby’s theory, including: EvolutionCritical periodSocial releasing mechanismsMonotropyContinuity hypothesis Using your knowledge of strategies for memory improvement, explain how the studentcould memorise some of these features. Use examples from the list above.
Bumping this up for Jim.

Very helpful thanks
Should I do a past paper or keep revising normally? Hmm

Posted from TSR Mobile
Past paper now, then revise what you got wrong tomorrow morning before the exam!
Reply 812
I would say something along the lines of how Acronyms can be used to memorise the main features of the theory. This is done by taking the first letter of each word and composing them to make a short sentence or another word to aid recall. This helps memory through association and so the student can look at all the first letters which create ECSMC and create a sentence like Elephants Carry So Many Cars.

Obviously make it sound slightly more together than that but you get the gist.
Original post by hereticalpilgrim
Can someone pls help me with this question? I'm confused as to how to link to the stem with the memory improvement strategies??
:frown:
A student was revising Bowlby’s theory of attachment. He was trying to remember thenames of some features of Bowlby’s theory, including: EvolutionCritical periodSocial releasing mechanismsMonotropyContinuity hypothesis Using your knowledge of strategies for memory improvement, explain how the studentcould memorise some of these features. Use examples from the list above.

I reckon the easiest method to describe with these words would be elaborative rehearsal - so using Acronyms. Elaborative rehearsal is any memory method which makes the student think of the information in a new way. The student could use the first letter of each feature to create a new word, for example E from Evolution could become Elephants, C from Critical Period could become Can. The student would then arrange these words into a phrase which could be learnt and act as a cue for retrieving the original set of words. The phrase could be "Elephants can sometimes meet camels"
So what are peoples predictions for the 12 Marker?
12 marker on Working memory model hasn't come up for ages.

AO1- Baddeley & Hitch
3 parts: central executive, phonological loop & visuo spatial sketchpad

AO2-
-research lab studies -> lack ecological validity
-Lierberman- blind have good spatial awareness -> argues VSS should be 2 stores
-only looks at STM not much info in LTM
-not much known about central executive as it cant be directly measured
-evidence supporting -> word length effect Baddely (short words easier to recall)

Anyone know any more ao2 points? Are those good enough? Obv in the exam they will be expanded
Reply 816
Original post by Eleanor303

Hopefully Multi Store Model, Working Memory, Disruption or Privation/Institutionalisation.
Reply 817
Original post by Eleanor303

Theres 5 main essay questions I would personally focus and keep an eye out for with some more likely than others based on my predictions.

The multi-store memory model is long over-due according to this table last turning up in January 2012. One to watch and the front-runner in my eyes.

The working memory model hasn’t come up as a proper 12 marker in a while although has made an appearance every year as a 4 marker, 6 marker and even an 8 marker for 5 consecutive papers. Its possible too but less likely than the Multi-store memory model in my opinion.

How research into attachment has influenced childcare practices Its only ever come up as a 4 marker and although I’m not entirely convinced it can be a 12 marker (due to lack of material) I would keep an eye out for this.

The impact of daycare (on either aggression or peer relations)

Outside chance:

Disruption of attachment (I would bet institutional is more likely than privation).

Original post by MW-19--
12 Marker
Cultural variations of attachment (research)

-Van Ijzendoorn and squad, yeah, got that!

I cant AO2 any other research very well

I've got Fox who studied child rearing practices in Israel, so i'll analyse the Observational method etc...

but that's 2 studies

I have Grossman and Grossman (who said that different attachement types are viewed differently in different cultures) that's it though, how do i AO2 that??

Same with Takawashi - He said parenting skills are different in different cultures...

Could a valid AO2 point for either of these be that they dont consider Subcultures etc???
Because it doesnt give a hint to any research method....

Strengths:
1) All studies apart from Grossman + Grossman found that secure attachmenr was the main attachment type giving consistancy throughout the studies and to the ideology that secure attachment is the best type of attachment for good social and emotional development.
2) The strange situation has reliability due to blah blah
3) Van Ijzendoorn + Kroonenberg meta-analysis is rich is data due to using 32 studies with over 2000 ss uses giving validity to the findings allowing for it to be generalised etc

weaknesses:
1) Believed mass media influences one type of attachment type that promotes the "best" parenting styles through tv, radios and parenting books, therefore it may not be that attachment is innate bur rather due to mass promotion

2) Has ethnocentrism as SS is american based therefore using it as the standard to rate other cultures may be inaccurate

3) Psychologists were not from the cultures therefore identifiying behaviours may not be classified in the same way to the culture as to how they are identifying it (similar to second point)

these are brief btw
Can someone link me to the mark scheme please? They're no longer on the AQA website apparently..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending