The Student Room Group

HELP! I'm ill!

My first exams are tomorrow (French reading and listening, B2 and B3), and I woke up today with a terrible sore throat. My throat is so swollen I can barely swallow, let alone talk or eat, and I struggled to get out of bed. I'll still be able to get to school for the exams tomorrow, but I'm worried my performance will be affected as I feel so tired and run down, or that I even might faint in the exam or something. Should I bring in a note or something for the invigilators? I'm not really sure what the procedure is when you're ill :s-smilie:
Reply 1
First of all, don't panic! There are plenty of people who probably woke up today feeling ill before an exam. Unfortunately, in most circumstances, you will just have to put up with it and just try your best. If it's extremely bad and you physically can't take the exam then you will need to go to your GP and ask for a note explaining that your performance will be affected by your illness. In this case, if you give the note to an invigilator, you might be able to achieve a 3-5% increase in your mark. However, I'm not entirely sure that this % increase is valid for minor illness. Usually, they're for people who have had surgery or a relative has died, for example.

The best thing to do is to take cough sweets, Lemsip, vitamin C (Berocca for instance) and gargle salt water (very effective, gets rid of sore throats almost instantly). Keep focused and try to ignore your throat. If you've put the work in already then I'm sure you'll do brilliantly (I also have these exams tomorrow so I'll feel your pain xP)

Wish you the best luck for tomorrow!
Original post by RachJess4
My first exams are tomorrow (French reading and listening, B2 and B3), and I woke up today with a terrible sore throat. My throat is so swollen I can barely swallow, let alone talk or eat, and I struggled to get out of bed. I'll still be able to get to school for the exams tomorrow, but I'm worried my performance will be affected as I feel so tired and run down, or that I even might faint in the exam or something. Should I bring in a note or something for the invigilators? I'm not really sure what the procedure is when you're ill :s-smilie:

aww its ok try your best to be restful throughout gthe day and im sure youll be ok don't panic!it wont harm u just try and keep relaxed...lots of love and luck to ur exams I hope u do well xx :smile:
just make sure you tell your exams officer as soon as you get into school
That's what we got told to do
Reply 4
Thanks guys!
I'm trying to rest but it's hard because I'm so stressed about the exams tomorrow. I've been drinking hot drinks and gargling salt water but I still feel so tired and ill. I zoned out and dropped a bowl of tomato soup earlier :/
if u feel tired my advice is to take energy drinks or something else high in caffeine. this should give u the energy boost u need. Get well soon!
Reply 6
Original post by RachJess4
Thanks guys!
I'm trying to rest but it's hard because I'm so stressed about the exams tomorrow. I've been drinking hot drinks and gargling salt water but I still feel so tired and ill. I zoned out and dropped a bowl of tomato soup earlier :/

If you're that bad then try to take a small rest in bed. It will really help and make you feel refreshed (even if you get a small headache) but remember not to rest too much because otherwise you won't sleep tonight and will be very tired for tomorrow.

Keep taking medicine and just take it easy, hope everything works out in the end :smile:.
Reply 7
I went to the doctor's and it turns out I have tonsilitis! Thank you body for choosing the most inconvenient time to get ill. I have a doctor's note... should I just give it to an invigilator before the exam?

Quick Reply

Latest