The Student Room Group

Applying to medicine from a school of 25 kids!!!

I really need help with subject choices!!!
I've booked and am going to study for UKCAT test.
I'm getting work experience at various places - helps that my mum's a District and Practitioner Nurse and has lodes of Doctor friends!
But I come from a really really really small school.
25 kids in secondary small.
It's also classed as a disadvantaged area which you'll soon realise why.

I really want to apply for medicine and I need to do 2 AH and one H.

The Subjects I've done:
National 5: Maths A, English B, Chemistry A, Physics A, Music A
Higher(all traditional unless specified other) : Maths, CfE English, Chemistry, Physics, Crash Biology (straight A's expected)

What do I do for sixth year?!

I don't have a biology teacher - I've been teaching myself the course through distance learning. (I didn't do Nat 5 either)
My physics and maths teacher is the same guy and I can't stand him and he's not a very good teacher.
Everyone in my class had to get a tutor for chemistry because our teacher sucks that much - he also decided he was too stressed to teach us just before the easter holidays and took a few weeks holiday! Was actually an improvement when he was gone.

I want to apply for Medicine the problem is is that they want Biology or Chemistry or both at AH level...
I'm going to have a conversation with my Head soon about the possibility of doing AH Biology.
If not able to do so (highly likely) I'll have to do AH Chem but I'm going to ask if I can just use my Chem tutor for the course material and just use my chemistry teacher for the experiment stuff because he honestly would not be able to put me through the advanced higher course.

What do I choose? These are my options
One from these:
Higher - Music (fab teacher)
Crash Higher - Psychology (long distance), Modern Studies(great teacher), Galidhlig(great teacher - I'm a fluent speaker)

Two from these:
Advanced Highers - Maths(bad teacher), Chemistry(horrific teacher), Biology(no teacher), English(amazing teacher)

If anyone has any other suggestions for subjects they know Medical School want or like please just let me know!

Any help anyone can give me would be hugely apprieciated!!!
Do the 2AH + 1 Higher. (Bio, chem + whatever you feel like)

If you're a AAAAB/AAAAA candidate then you'll have no problem self teaching them. The work load is about the same as 4 highers. Your time table will be empty aswell.

Theres all sorts of resources out there, scholar is great for self teaching.

In a way this is a blessing in disguise, you will have loads more time to spend volunteering etc outside school, as well as more time to prepare for interviews.
Reply 2
Original post by Pennyarcade
Do the 2AH + 1 Higher. (Bio, chem + whatever you feel like)

If you're a AAAAB/AAAAA candidate then you'll have no problem self teaching them. The work load is about the same as 4 highers. Your time table will be empty aswell.

Theres all sorts of resources out there, scholar is great for self teaching

In a way this is a blessing in disguise, you will have loads more time to spend volunteering etc outside school, as well as more time to prepare for interviews.

Thank you!!! I just hope I get the option of doing biology! And I think I will do the two AH and one H.
Original post by eirinbeese
Thank you!!! I just hope I get the option of doing biology! And I think I will do the two AH and one H.

How is the rest of your application coming along?
Reply 4
I really need help with subject choices!!!
I've booked and am going to study for UKCAT test.
I'm getting work experience at various places - helps that my mum's a District and Practitioner Nurse and has lodes of Doctor friends!
But I come from a really really really small school.
25 kids in secondary small.
It's also classed as a disadvantaged area which you'll soon realise why.

I really want to apply for medicine and I need to do 2 AH and one H.

The Subjects I've done:
National 5: Maths A, English B, Chemistry A, Physics A, Music A
Higher(all traditional unless specified other) : Maths, CfE English, Chemistry, Physics, Crash Biology (straight A's expected)

What do I do for sixth year?!

I don't have a biology teacher - I've been teaching myself the course through distance learning. (I didn't do Nat 5 either)
My physics and maths teacher is the same guy and I can't stand him and he's not a very good teacher.
Everyone in my class had to get a tutor for chemistry because our teacher sucks that much - he also decided he was too stressed to teach us just before the easter holidays and took a few weeks holiday! Was actually an improvement when he was gone.

I want to apply for Medicine the problem is is that they want Biology or Chemistry or both at AH level...
I'm going to have a conversation with my Head soon about the possibility of doing AH Biology.
If not able to do so (highly likely) I'll have to do AH Chem but I'm going to ask if I can just use my Chem tutor for the course material and just use my chemistry teacher for the experiment stuff because he honestly would not be able to put me through the advanced higher course.

What do I choose? These are my options
One from these:
Higher - Music (fab teacher)
Crash Higher - Psychology (long distance), Modern Studies(great teacher), Galidhlig(great teacher - I'm a fluent speaker)

Two from these:
Advanced Highers - Maths(bad teacher), Chemistry(horrific teacher), Biology(no teacher), English(amazing teacher)

If anyone has any other suggestions for subjects they know Medical School want or like please just let me know!

Any help anyone can give me would be hugely apprieciated!!!

I go to a relatively small school too, a wee bit more than 25 though we're at about 600! Last year we had all our AH science subjects cut to two teaching periods a week, i did bio and chem and i hence had to put a lot of independent study time in and though i'm yet to get my results or even sit the exams so cant say definitively i think you'll find it easier than you're imagining learning the course yourself, i think it's quite common to do and there's loads of resources out there too help. so yeah, go for AH bio and chem, they're most relevant and probably most interesting of those choices! Not sure about what higher though, whichever you think you could do best in!
Reply 5
How is the rest of your application coming along?

I only recently decided to do medicine! Under a month ago - I'm crazy I know!
I'm concentrating on my exams just now, but I've got work experience lined up in summer (on a few different occasions) - thanks to the fact my mum works for the NHS. I've booked my UKCAT test and will revise that heavily before sitting it! As when it comes down to it it's hugely important.

I've got lodes of other small qualifications such as Sport Leadership etc to show diversity etc and I'm going to Open Day's to get an idea about the different universities and have booked the Medical Talks!

So I just need to put everything together for my personal statement (which I'll do in July to September) and decide which universities I'm applying to.
Then physically apply before the October deadline...

And of course do well next year in my AH's and H!

It helps that I know people who used to do Medical Admissions and they're going to look over my statement before I send it away!

Are you in Medical School or have you been? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by yesaye
I go to a relatively small school too, a wee bit more than 25 though we're at about 600! Last year we had all our AH science subjects cut to two teaching periods a week, i did bio and chem and i hence had to put a lot of independent study time in and though i'm yet to get my results or even sit the exams so cant say definitively i think you'll find it easier than you're imagining learning the course yourself, i think it's quite common to do and there's loads of resources out there too help. so yeah, go for AH bio and chem, they're most relevant and probably most interesting of those choices! Not sure about what higher though, whichever you think you could do best in!

Thanks! You and PennyArcade really helped me! I'm going to try as hard as possible to be entered in for AH Bio and AH chemistry and another Higher!
I only recently decided to do medicine! Under a month ago - I'm crazy I know!
I'm concentrating on my exams just now, but I've got work experience lined up in summer (on a few different occasions) - thanks to the fact my mum works for the NHS. I've booked my UKCAT test and will revise that heavily before sitting it! As when it comes down to it it's hugely important.

I've got lodes of other small qualifications such as Sport Leadership etc to show diversity etc and I'm going to Open Day's to get an idea about the different universities and have booked the Medical Talks!

So I just need to put everything together for my personal statement (which I'll do in July to September) and decide which universities I'm applying to.
Then physically apply before the October deadline...

And of course do well next year in my AH's and H!

It helps that I know people who used to do Medical Admissions and they're going to look over my statement before I send it away!

Are you in Medical School or have you been? :smile:

Fair enough. You're coming on fine then. I'm happy to help the medics on here with personal statement drafting as a few did for me last year.

I'm going to Glasgow in September.
Reply 8
Fair enough. You're coming on fine then. I'm happy to help the medics on here with personal statement drafting as a few did for me last year.

I'm going to Glasgow in September.

That's fab! Did you get a conditional offer - as most medical students do! - and what was it? If you don't mind me asking :smile:
That's fab! Did you get a conditional offer - as most medical students do! - and what was it? If you don't mind me asking :smile:

Yeah, its for AB at Advanced Higher. All other scottish medical schools give BBB (in your 2AHs + 1H or 3AH) offers.
Reply 10
Yeah, its for AB at Advanced Higher. All other scottish medical schools give BBB (in your 2AHs + 1H or 3AH) offers.

Ah okay, so it's no different than what they suggest it will be on their websites. Thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending