The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samb1234
When did you apply and have you got a place?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I won't be applying :smile:
Original post by enaayrah
I won't be applying :smile:

Ah yes you've got your Nuffield placement haven't you. When did you find out about it then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah yes you've got your Nuffield placement haven't you. When did you find out about it then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My Oxbridge tutor sent me an e-mail today
And yeah, I'll be on Nuffield hopefully :smile:
Original post by antisansculotte
Hope economics went well today!

Tough, definitely much tougher than previous papers but I think I answered it well enough except slightly ran out of time at the end. Multiple choice was dead easy and whilst the data response was tough, it was manageable and I reckon it should be absolutely fine. Due to this difficulty, I'm sure grade boundaries will be very low (they are really low anyway) and so I'm more than confident it was alright :smile:
Even if I am not successful with Cambridge I am glad that I decided to aim for Cambridge because it is definitely making me work more than I would had I not decided to go for it.

If I even chose Oxford, I wouldn't revise as hard because getting 4As wouldn't be hard as I paid attention in lessons and made sure to understand as I go. I wouldn't in fact do as many past papers or make notes. But because there's this thing called UMS I have been able to bring myself to work more than I would have.

Thank you Cambridge :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by C0balt
Even if I am not successful with Cambridge I am glad that I decided to aim for Cambridge because it is definitely making me work more than I would had I not decided to go for it.

If I even chose Oxford, I wouldn't revise as hard because getting 4As wouldn't be hard as I paid attention in lessons and made sure to understand as I go. I wouldn't in fact do as many past papers or make notes. But because there's this thing called UMS I have been able to bring myself to work more than I would have.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is actually exactly what I've been thinking. The good thing is that I'm not afraid to fail and even if I do fall short, there are so many other options available which will perhaps be a bit less difficult to achieve since Cambridge UMS standards are quite high anyway! But the calibre of students on TSR is above the norm anyway so like I said, I don't think we have anything to worry about other than to focus on these exams!
Original post by C0balt

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, agree completely. UMS has really given me motivation to do as well as I can in these exams!
Original post by C0balt

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here! :five:
Original post by Wawasan
This is actually exactly what I've been thinking. The good thing is that I'm not afraid to fail and even if I do fall short, there are so many other options available which will perhaps be a bit less difficult to achieve since Cambridge UMS standards are quite high anyway! But the calibre of students on TSR is above the norm anyway so like I said, I don't think we have anything to worry about other than to focus on these exams!

Even if it doesn't go as well as hoped we'd still have relatively high UMS which will make next year easier too, so win-win here haha:top:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Even if it doesn't go as well as hoped we'd still have relatively high UMS which will make next year easier too, so win-win here haha:top:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah snap! Just what I thought there - it means that if we choose to migrate to the other place come August time/results day, we may well be able to take our foot off the A Level pedal a bit and focus on admissions tests until November! :smile:
Original post by C0balt

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah exactly what i was thinking! when i do past papers i always look at the UMS and check if its high enough. Even if i don't get the grades for Cambridge, I will have secured a strong A which opens doors to so many other unis. Oh how much i want to go to Cambridge though! :lol:
Original post by C0balt

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its worryingly easy to get an A in something if you got a 95% average at as. If you got 95% at as in a subject you would need 65% at a2 to get an A. Although obviously if you want an A* you still need 90% across a2 units

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone on here doing OCR physics A?
Original post by TheKhaleesi
yeah exactly what i was thinking! when i do past papers i always look at the UMS and check if its high enough. Even if i don't get the grades for Cambridge, I will have secured a strong A which opens doors to so many other unis. Oh how much i want to go to Cambridge though! :lol:

Yeah same haha UMS converter is now a most visited page along with past paper page and TSR :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its worryingly easy to get an A in something if you got a 95% average at as. If you got 95% at as in a subject you would need 65% at a2 to get an A. Although obviously if you want an A* you still need 90% across a2 units

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol seriously?
It would be hard to stay motivated next year then, if you don't get an offer with A* in it although I assume everyone here is applying to A* requirement uni elsewhere too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Yeah same haha UMS converter is now a most visited page along with past paper page and TSR :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those are literally my only bookmarks now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exactly what I thought, summed it up really :biggrin:. I wouldn't have minded too much previously except getting 4As but now I'm doing so much more revision, especially for C1 lol. UMS is driving me mad though ahah
Original post by C0balt
Lol seriously?
It would be hard to stay motivated next year then, if you don't get an offer with A* in it although I assume everyone here is applying to A* requirement uni elsewhere too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep. An a is 80% ums over all the modules and then if you have 80% average and 90% across a2 you get an a*. Slightly annoying that your as grades don't really make it easier to get an a* but oh well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nurav11
Exactly what I thought, summed it up really :biggrin:. I wouldn't have minded too much previously except getting 4As but now I'm doing so much more revision, especially for C1 lol. UMS is driving me mad though ahah

Thinking of results day makes me a bit sad. We cannot jump around and hug people as soon as we see 4As. Instead we would be pulling our calculators out before finally (hopefully) scream out of joy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Thinking of results day makes me a bit sad. We cannot jump around and hug people as soon as we see 4As. Instead we would be pulling our calculators out before finally (hopefully) scream out of joy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not if you see a sheet littered with the number 100 all over :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending