The Student Room Group
Reply 9920
Original post by Arkasia
Why is it that Bafetimbi Gomis always scores against us? Drogba I can understand, Adebayor too, but Gomis? Ospina should be taken out the back of the training ground and shot.

:confused::confused::confused:
Original post by Zürich
Seem to remember it being initial confusion and disappointment that we went for Welbeck to recognition that all things considered it was a worthwhile deal and an improvement on what we had. In my opinion Welbeck is a useful workhorse and a bit different to what we have. He's the kind of player Morinho has used his entire career really and it's something we've been lacking. But we really need a goalscorer in too

I would agree that Arsenal fans are quite fickle in general but it does confuse me when people think that fans go from WOB to AKB from week to week. What happens is one lot stay quiet when we're winning and the other when we're losing, obviously. It's just that the division in the fanbase is much more entrenched and often-time partisan at Arsenal because Wengs has been here 20 years.

Yeah I guess that's the thing about having such an obviously divided fanbase, and tbf most big clubs have had that at some point or another in the last 5/6 years. United had it with Moyes which was just hilarious, Liverpool back with King Kenny, when Torres left, and when it was clear to just about everyone bar Brendan Rodgers that they needed to learn to defend earlier this season.

Don't think there's really been a point with that since Jose came back to Stamford Bridge, certainly nowhere near the Arsenal levels of the Villa or Monaco defeats - and although the Benitez bashing was pretty bad at least it was the one thing all our fans seemed to agree on. I would say City have had that, but there doesn't actually seem to be any around so we would never know.

Swear the only time I've actually seen all of you actually agreeing with each other was like the two days after the FA Cup win last year.
Original post by Arkasia
Why is it that Bafetimbi Gomis always scores against us? Drogba I can understand, Adebayor too, but Gomis? Ospina should be taken out the back of the training ground and shot.

Meh, he's so **** he'd probably miss the bullet...
Reply 9923
Original post by leinad2012
As Zurich's said the problem with the Welbeck signing was the role he was meant to play in the club wasn't clarified. At the time, we had no Giroud, no Walcott, no striker, leading many to see his short term and long term role as a striker. Add in the fact we missed out on Falcao (a good thing in hindsight, but at the time a disaster to many fans when you look at status), and the fact Wengs wasn't even in the country because he was reffing a game sponsored by some kiddie-fiddling ring (a.k.a the Catholic Church)), and it looked like a complete **** up and not what the fans wanted.

People started the Wele thing as a piss take, and then he goes and scores a hat-trick vs Gala in cl and everyone's banterful praise suddenly became serious. Then after a dismal 6 months people have gone back to realising what he actually is, a workhorse who is a 10 goal a season player at best and isn't what the club is shouting out for

No it was pretty clear without confusion he was brought in as a striker because Giroud had just suffered an injury after the Everton game. I highly doubt Welbeck was bought to be used as a midfielder and it's only because of how poor and useless he's been upfront that Wengers had to put him makeshift on the LW.

10 goals in the league would be an achievement for Welbeck, otherwise he's on 4 which is ****ing poor. Most of our midfielders have more goals to there names which says more then enough
(edited 8 years ago)

I'm sorry, is there any part of that irrational and hyperbolic statement you misunderstood?

Meh, he's so **** he'd probably miss the bullet...

Nah, he'd dig the bullet out of his head and claim that he hadn't been shot and that the bullet hadn't gone in.
Original post by The Shed End
Yeah I guess that's the thing about having such an obviously divided fanbase, and tbf most big clubs have had that at some point or another in the last 5/6 years. United had it with Moyes which was just hilarious, Liverpool back with King Kenny, when Torres left, and when it was clear to just about everyone bar Brendan Rodgers that they needed to learn to defend earlier this season.

Don't think there's really been a point with that since Jose came back to Stamford Bridge, certainly nowhere near the Arsenal levels of the Villa or Monaco defeats - and although the Benitez bashing was pretty bad at least it was the one thing all our fans seemed to agree on. I would say City have had that, but there doesn't actually seem to be any around so we would never know.

Swear the only time I've actually seen all of you actually agreeing with each other was like the two days after the FA Cup win last year.

Ahh, but Jose is the king of deflecting failure, the majority of fans and the media ate up the whole "little horse", "in transition", "not title contenders" bull**** which meant when he did **** up and you didn't win the league, no one turned on him. Compare that to Wengs who will dig his own grave and even admit to missing out on big name transfers from 10 years ago on a regular basis and it's no surprise there's a bigger response.
Reply 9926
Original post by Arkasia
I'm sorry, is there any part of that irrational and hyperbolic statement you misunderstood?

Or you fail to realise it's a pretty scummy thing to say?
Original post by RA95
No it was pretty clear without confusion he was brought in as a striker because Giroud had just suffered an injury after the Everton game. I highly doubt Welbeck was bought to be used as a midfielder and it's only because of how poor and useless he's been upfront that Wengers had to put him makeshift on the LW.

10 goals in the league would be an achievement for Welbeck, otherwise he's on 4 which is ****ing poor. Most of our midfielders have more goals to there names which says more then enough

Maybe, tbh I think 90% of it was fans rejoicing in signing a rival's player rather than the other way round, until they realised he was a dud
Original post by TheGuyReturns
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Heading back to 4th boys!

Are we? Even if we lose at Old Trafford(and I think we will) weve got 2 home games vs Sunderland and West Brom from which we'll need 4 points to pretty much guarantee 3rd at least.

2nd/3rd makes no difference at all. Only thing that matters now is the Cup final
Ahh, but Jose is the king of deflecting failure, the majority of fans and the media ate up the whole "little horse", "in transition", "not title contenders" bull**** which meant when he did **** up and you didn't win the league, no one turned on him. Compare that to Wengs who will dig his own grave and even admit to missing out on big name transfers from 10 years ago on a regular basis and it's no surprise there's a bigger response.

This highlights your blatant stupidly. The little horse thing was clearly not bull**** as you've described it and the media and fans who know anything about football accepted it correctly. When your strike force is a past it Torres and 45 year old Eto'o and Ba then you're never favourites against City or an SAS inspired Liverpool. Jose explicitly said at the start of this season that he'd win the league and he has, by a large margin. His transition statement has proven true, as shown by the league table. Difference is Wenger brings excuses to the table and never delivers on them, Jose does. Simples.
Reply 9930
Maybe, tbh I think 90% of it was fans rejoicing in signing a rival's player rather than the other way round, until they realised he was a dud

Nope everyone was saying UTD only sell their **** players and were comparing him to Silvestre

The idea was that for £16m it wouldn't be a major loss/risk if he fold out nicely. Considering he's English and would have scope to improve under Wenger but so far this season I'm still not convinced he should be anywhere near the club.
Reply 9931
Where do most people stand on this thread? Wenger in or out? And how many of you actually think Wenger is going to win a title before his contract expires..
Think some of the criticism levelled at Welbeck comes from failing to understand what his M.O. is really. He'll run all day long, presses very well, is physically strong, can run the channels and likes a big game too. If you expect him to be a ruthless finisher or good at linking up then of course you're going to be disappointed. His goal at OT looked like just luck but that comes from chasing lost causes and Welbeck did that. But of course he's not good enough to play ST for us at all and we should look to bring in someone soon.

Fergie always loved him and trusted him in big games so that's a decent reference imo. We've lacked players like that as I said. How many times have we gone down to sides full or Park ji-Sungs or Rameires types? It's good to have someone like Welbeck.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RA95
Nope everyone was saying UTD only sell their **** players and were comparing him to Silvestre

The idea was that for £16m it wouldn't be a major loss/risk if he fold out nicely. Considering he's English and would have scope to improve under Wenger but so far this season I'm still not convinced he should be anywhere near the club.

I don't know, a lot, and I mean A LOT of fans saw Welbeck more as a symbolic transfer of us taking a player off United rather than a good one (same with Ozil to an extent, he wasn't what we needed, but was a sign we could finally fund big signings).

He's not a big risk, but he shouldn't be playing for us, tbh I feel like we should cash in this summer. £15mil plus him for Benteke
Original post by RA95
Where do most people stand on this thread? Wenger in or out? And how many of you actually think Wenger is going to win a title before his contract expires..

I'm Wenger in, guy should be rewarded for life and I think the club should reward him this summer with two brand new number 10s, Mata and Coutinho maybe?
Reply 9935
Original post by Depleted
I'm Wenger in, guy should be rewarded for life and I think the club should reward him this summer with two brand new number 10s, Mata and Coutinho maybe?

Add in Isco and Silva and we've got a real chance for the title
RA95
Or you fail to realise it's a pretty scummy thing to say?

I didn't fail to realise that, but I said it anyway. What's it to you?

Also, if you're AR, then I thought you requested a ban?
Reply 9937
Original post by Arkasia
I didn't fail to realise that, but I said it anyway. What's it to you?

Also, if you're AR, then I thought you requested a ban?

Forum is addictive init
I don't know, a lot, and I mean A LOT of fans saw Welbeck more as a symbolic transfer of us taking a player off United rather than a good one (same with Ozil to an extent, he wasn't what we needed, but was a sign we could finally fund big signings).

He's not a big risk, but he shouldn't be playing for us, tbh I feel like we should cash in this summer. £15mil plus him for Benteke

We probably took the worst United striker, if it's symbolic, then it's a pretty crap symbol (that being said, I support Dat Guy, and think he'll come good).
RA95
Forum is addictive init

Fair point

Latest