The Student Room Group

AQA AS English Literature World War One Exam May 15

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
could someone tell me a good essay structure to use for section a and one for section b please?
Reply 21
I don't know structure and form features for section b...any help?
Original post by LilyyyH
I don't know structure and form features for section b...any help?

I can send you a few practice essays, if you like?
Reply 23
Original post by GetOverHere

that would be great! thank you :smile:
Original post by LilyyyH
that would be great! thank you :smile:

No worries, just PM me your email and I'll send them over c:
Ahhh I honestly could not tell you, though our teacher for wider reading has been giving us weekly mocks so we don't panic as soon as we see anything to do with women, because our class is all lads. It's just about ensuring you allow the thoughts and feelings to drive the argument, and then bring in wider reading and assess the significance of it, making sure you take into account the date that the wider reading extract comes from e.g. Regeneration - written in 1991, so a lot of time has passed for historical sources to emerge, so Barker is well-informed of the context, which makes Regeneration a historical fiction novel. And I can't for the life of me think about what the poetry will be either.

Basically, I'm not particularly worried about what will come up since I've had a load of mocks for wider reading from loads of extracts, and apparently I just seem to 'get' poetry, and I always choose relevant poems so I don't see there being any problem for me TBH.

I actually cannot stand poetry even though I'm actually good at it :') same, we've been getting a lot of mocks and practice papers to do, and we've even written each other our own questions, but I always forget to bring relevant historical detail in e.g. 60,000 deaths on first day of the Somme - do you have any really good statistics to use? :smile:
Does anyone have a link to the specification?
I like to read it again the night before the exam just to make sure i'm happy, but I cant seem to find it anywhere ;(
cheers
Reply 27
Wooowww you seem so prepared! And thank you greatly for taking the time to write all of that cz it really helped :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

could you send me that as well? it will really help me!
ill PM you :smile:
Reply 29

Can u send me em too please, they would reaaaally help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sami.k
Can u send me em too please, they would reaaaally help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Send me your email
Original post by nicole_wilson
I actually cannot stand poetry even though I'm actually good at it :':wink: same, we've been getting a lot of mocks and practice papers to do, and we've even written each other our own questions, but I always forget to bring relevant historical detail in e.g. 60,000 deaths on first day of the Somme - do you have any really good statistics to use? :smile:

I do British Warfare alongside it and the whole unit is on WW1, so I use that stuff.

Somme is 57,000 casualties, 19000 deaths on first day.
BEF numbered 80000 in 1914, but by october 1917 it was 3.9 mil
5,952 officers court martialled, 89% convicted.
Field Punishment Number 1 -fettered and tied to a field gun for up to 2 hours a day

etc haha
For the exam, my teacher also strongly recommended using 15 minute planning time for section A, 45 minutes writing, then 15 minutes again to plan for section B and 45 minutes writing.Planning is SO important! Don't panic, 45 minutes is plenty of time to write an essay in exam conditions. For section A I usually plan by reading the whole extract first (without annotations), then going back and annotating, and making a table. My table headers are usually: thought/feeling - quote - context - wider reading - language/structure/form feature.

I'll aim for about three separate points, so structure for one, language for the second, and form for the third, and always integrate context about the source of the extract (date, whether it's a memoir/diary etc) and interrogate it's authenticity.
Yess make sure you heavily annotate your section one.

Also, if anyone wants essays or whatever, ask LilyyyH cause I'm going to bed haha c:

Goodnight guys c:
How did you find the exam?!
It was pretty good for me, tbh. First question was a little stupid, especially since you couldn't really comment on perspective due to the lack of a named writer, gender, age, etc so you were forced to talk about the fact that the 'wounds were still fresh' and whatnot since it was only a week after the war, etc. My line of argument was that the genuine statistical elements of the article are undermined by the apologist sentiments that justify the war as a 'Noble Sacrifice', etc. Even then, the forward states that the figures were revised many times in the months after this, so stuff that is considered 'genuine' is still not even entirely true. I also picked up on the fact that the article undermines even those who willingly fought in the war, as it considers the young to have given their youth but Rupert Brooke's The Soldier considers war to have given them youth, leading to the eventual consideration of the extract as the lost generation as the 'Immortal Dead'.

I did Question 7 for Poetry, and I used Dulce. I basically came to the conclusion that although The Hero and Dulce are both striking poems in their own right, The Hero is used as a sort of 'anti-propaganda', a platform for Sassoon to communicate his own personal criticisms. However, Owen's ability to create sympathetic responses, and the overall message of Dulce, isolates it as the poem of central importance in the collection. Though, I added that one cannot discredit The Hero, as it is a stirring scene and a powerful piece of social commentary upon an unjust conflict, and is one of a select few poems that are essential to understanding the selection in the way that Stallworthy intended. I also dropped in the quote on the front of the anthology because it was easy to remember, edifying the anthology as all-encompassing, and saying that these two poems most definitely are all-encompassing of Stallworthy's selection.
Although I was originally horrified at the contextual linking question, I actually found I really enjoyed writing about it. You could actually write about perspective - I wrote about the fact it was from a newspaper, so was probably censored/made war look "honourable", and I linked it to the government, especially the House of Commons as mentioned in the item. I also talked a lot about class; the distinction between "officers" and "others" for the listing of deaths gave me quite a lot to write about, especially when my favourite piece of wider reading was Parade's End.

The poetry one was awful, I won't even get started on that...
Original post by piano8myhomework
Although I was originally horrified at the contextual linking question, I actually found I really enjoyed writing about it. You could actually write about perspective - I wrote about the fact it was from a newspaper, so was probably censored/made war look "honourable", and I linked it to the government, especially the House of Commons as mentioned in the item. I also talked a lot about class; the distinction between "officers" and "others" for the listing of deaths gave me quite a lot to write about, especially when my favourite piece of wider reading was Parade's End.

The poetry one was awful, I won't even get started on that...

Which poetry question did you do?
Which poetry question did you do?

I did the contrast one, question 6 I believe, and the main problem was that I had spent too much time on the first essay and didn't really know what to write. I eventually wrote about the contrast between pro war and anti war poems, and then the contrast of techniques/structure within different poems. I didn't really know what the question was looking for and wrote a load of bull without really saying anything :frown:

Hopefully, if I did poorly on the poetry one, my contextual linking and coursework will bring up my grade!
Original post by piano8myhomework
I did the contrast one, question 6 I believe, and the main problem was that I had spent too much time on the first essay and didn't really know what to write. I eventually wrote about the contrast between pro war and anti war poems, and then the contrast of techniques/structure within different poems. I didn't really know what the question was looking for and wrote a load of bull without really saying anything :frown:

Hopefully, if I did poorly on the poetry one, my contextual linking and coursework will bring up my grade!

I really didn't like the look of 6 so I left it well alone, and chose 7 cause I was familiar with The Hero. To be honest it sounds good, but my interpretation of it would be contrast within the poem itself e.g. Daryush's Subalterns contrasts the woman's patriotic 'hot thought' with the man's solemn 'icy memories', etc. As long as this was what you addressed, they could probably view your 'pro-war and anti-war' contrasts as providing a balanced argument and contributing to the debate, so I guess you should be fine, with any luck.

And yeah I'm sure it will, we weren't aware of how the marks were broken down, but my teacher told us that the coursework is a whole 40%, so you should be able to bump your grade up depending on what you're predicted and/or aiming for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending