The Student Room Group

AS Psychology AQA PSYA1/2 Revision Thread 2015!

Scroll to see replies

I am really finding the approaches to abnormality hard to remember :mad:
I think abnormality is what is knocking my confidence for this exam
Reply 1941
Outline the biological approach to psychopathology (6 marks)

The biological approach also known as the medical model to psychopathology suggests abnormality is caused by physical factors. Abnormality is caused by the malfunctioning of the brain and the systems in the body are used to explain abnormality.
In biochemistry the dopa-mine hypothesis suggests that high levels of dopa-mine are related to the symptoms of schizophrenia.
Abnormalities are sometimes a result of genetic inheritance. For example Torrey (2001) found that mothers of people who have schizophrenia had contacted a particular strain of influenza during pregnancy. This virus would enter the unborn child's brain leading to the symptoms of schizophrenia.
Neurotransmitter serotonin is a biochemical which carries signals between the brain cells. High levels of serotonin have been associated with anxiety.
The biological approach assumes abnormality can be treated like a physical condition and through focusing treatment on bodily functions.

Could someone please tell me the marks out of 6 for this question. Thank you in advance.
So who here is single anyways?
One question for the psych 1 exam someone please answer

I wrote for the pilot study 3 points as what could be changed such as if time should be allowed for recall, whether a memory strategy would be appropriate or not and then also whether the list of recall as in the amount is appropriate and then said they can save time by changing /editing the study to make it more effective

My guess would be 3/4 marks out of 4 can someone clarify this for me please

Please a quick response needed
Original post by potatoesftw x

Me plz
Also, what are we thinking will come up on Monday?

Predictions?
Do you keep completely forgetting them or keep mixing them up?
Original post by aimsnaywux
I am really finding the approaches to abnormality hard to remember :mad:
I think abnormality is what is knocking my confidence for this exam
Original post by faggstagram
sooo.... hoping one of these hasn't already been started. i was looking for one and didn't find one :s-smilie:

SO how's everyone finding psya2 ????

thought this thread would be quite useful for us, i saw the a2 guys had one so we need one too :cool:

youre beautiful
Original post by dottielottie
Do you keep completely forgetting them or keep mixing them up?

It seems to me that I just overall struggle with the psychological approaches, mostly psychodynamic and cognitive.

*However I have just looked in my text book and seen for psychodynamic and cognitive there is only one form of treatment which is great (less to remember)
HAVENT REVISED AND CANT REVISE. I just woke up after 8 hrs to revise and I fell asleep again? I feel so hopeless

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shamzy25
I've just finished research into conformity and explanations of conformity :smile:

I'm now on to obedience. But I'm not sure if I can just use Milgram as a study.... Are there other studies? I can't seem to find them

Posted from TSR Mobile

For obediece, you could use Hofling et al. and Rank and Jacobsen (with Valium, not a fake drug).
I evaluated Milgrams study by saying he deceived the participants, also that the participants (although told) were not sure whether they had the right to withdraw ... As the experimenter forced them to carry on

I need 1 more AO2 point ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shamzy25
I evaluated Milgrams study by saying he deceived the participants, also that the participants (although told) were not sure whether they had the right to withdraw ... As the experimenter forced them to carry on

I need 1 more AO2 point ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Major ethical issues with this study because of stress caused to participants. 14/40 had nervous laughing fits, etc.

Also issues regarding lack of both internal and external validity.
Original post by mogwai98
Major ethical issues with this study because of stress caused to participants. 14/40 had nervous laughing fits, etc.

Also issues regarding lack of both internal and external validity.

Thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by k.bryan4
I'd answer it like this.

Stress has the ability to lower the effectiveness of the immune system. For example: Kielcolt glazer carried out a study on first year medical students (49 male and 26 female) whose important exams were coming up. He took blood samples from the students a month before the exam and on the day of the exam. Their level of T-cells was measured. Also, a questionnaire was given to the students to evaluate their psychological state. Kiecolt-glazer found that the level of t-cells in the blood on the day of the exam was much lower than a month before. Also, those students who rated themselves as lonely and depressed had even less t-cells than those who didn't. This suggests that stress from important exams has the ability to lower the effectiveness of a human's immune system by reducing T-cell production meaning a person is more likely to get cancer.

Strength: natural experiment, stress occurs naturally from exams was not manipulated, high ecological validity

weakness: natural experiment so lack of control over extraneous variables such as age, personality etc, cannot determine cause and effect

weakness: bias sample only used medical students, could be more prone to stress than others, lacks population validity

if the question stated what has research SHOWN us about the link between stress and and the immune system, only findings and conclusions are credit worthy so then you would have to include other studies like:

marucha et al: discovered that the healing process is slowed down significantly by stress. For example on his 11 dental students, the time it took for the small wound on the inside of their mouth to heal 2-3 days before the exam was 40% (3 days) longer than in college vacation

Riley et al: discovered that lymphocyte production lowered with high stress. For example, mice which were put under high stress tasks went on to develop cancerous tumours but those in low stress did not

Russek et al: split doctors into high stress occupations (GPs) and low stress (dermatologists). Discovered that 11.9% of GPs went on to develop CHD but only 3.2 dermatologists went on to develop it

Hope this helps, sorry if it's a bit long but thought it would be better than you having to research it all

thanks alot man
what does everybody want to come up for the 12 marker?
(edited 8 years ago)
can some one tell me the experiments of Marmot et al and Johansson et al's studies on workplace stress and what they found?
Original post by potatoesftw x

everyone
Original post by Fleming1928
everyone

Well this escalated quickly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do anyone have a link to model answers that i could use?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending