The Student Room Group

AS Psychology AQA PSYA1/2 Revision Thread 2015!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by studentwiz
what are the 3 stages of SIT
1. conceptualisation, what goes after

Skills training and rehearsal.
Application in the real world.

(I think?)
Original post by wallbanks
I don't think that reply makes any sense? ahaha

awfully sorry I was on the phone to my mum while typing this, distractions for ya. Anyway what I meant is we haven't been taught any though*
Ohhhh ahahaa well I have

Bio Approach - McGuffin with depression in twins

Cog approach - Tomarken snake phobias

Bio treatment- Elkin

And all the rest i.e. behavioural and psychodynamic
Original post by wallbanks
Ohhhh ahahaa well I have

Bio Approach - McGuffin with depression in twins

Cog approach - Tomarken snake phobias

Bio treatment- Elkin

And all the rest i.e. behavioural and psychodynamic

is this for aqa too? I wonder why I haven't been taught them, but then I think it may be because our AO2 may just be the strengths and limitations, I really don't know tbh ahaha hmm :tongue:
Original post by Marli-Ruth
One mark or maybe non-depending on how generous the examiner is for example you didn't explain why it is oversimplified for example is oversimplified because of a study done by shallice et al on a patient called KF who had impaired verbal skills but a good visual skills. So MSMM doesn't explain this.

Another point could have been about how rehearsal is not the only way information enters the long term memory which was concluded by Lockhart et al.

I would say your answer is not detailed enough but then again you never know
hope this helps x

it doesnt need to be detailed because it is a 4 marker but 2 points so 1 point gets 2 marks, i did not need to explain why it is oversimplified because t already is and this automatically gets me a mark i would assume i did try to explain by elaborating on it and this is why im not sure whether i get the 2 or 1 mark for it

Ive just looked at the psych book revision guide and bang it says the main criticism is it oversimplfies memory structures and processes which is very similar to my point so it probably gets me 1 and the kf is a seperate study on unitary stores
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2005
how is everyone revising? i'm really struggling to remember unit 2, it's my weakest unit. any tips?
Original post by yasx_
how is everyone revising? i'm really struggling to remember unit 2, it's my weakest unit. any tips?

keep your notes short
also if your notes are long then highlight the key parts
short notes help you remember the main important details and then during the exam you can expand on them in detail
hope this helps a bit :smile:
How many criteria's are there for ideal mental health and what are they??
Original post by studentwiz
How many criteria's are there for ideal mental health and what are they??

6 from jahoda :smile:

1)high self-esteem and drive for personal identity
2)independence and autonomy
3)ability to cope with changes in environment
4)drive for personal growth to reach potential
5)ability to cope with stress

cant remember the last one.
There's 6, SISAMP

▪Self Actualisation - Focused on fulfilling on your potentiall in future
▪Integration -Being able to cope in stressful situations
▪Self Attitude - Having high self-esteem
▪Autonomy - Can work independently
▪Mastery of Environment - Can cope in new situations
▪Perception of Reality - See the world as it is.

Fewer of these you have,more abnormal you're seen to be.
Original post by K3lvin
it doesnt need to be detailed because it is a 4 marker but 2 points so 1 point gets 2 marks, i did not need to explain why it is oversimplified because t already is and this automatically gets me a mark i would assume i did try to explain by elaborating on it and this is why im not sure whether i get the 2 or 1 mark for it

Ive just looked at the psych book revision guide and bang it says the main criticism is it oversimplfies memory structures and processes which is very similar to my point so it probably gets me 1 and the kf is a seperate study on unitary stores

Lol alright! 2 marks for you :smile:
remember Psychology is the most failed exam! due to people not being detailed but depends on your marker/examiner really since the mark schemes are vauge.
Can someone explain the Freud approach to abnormality. I don't understand it properly, this is my idea of it so far:

Freud believed that the subconcious has is allocated into three parts: the ID, the Ego and the Super-ego. The ID is the part of the subconcious that urges a person to their aggressive and sexual biological drives, the ego is the balance between the superego and ID, it is your personality, and the Super-ego is the part of the subconcious that is responsible for your morals and ideal self.

He believes that three parts are in constant tension with each-other and if one is more strong than another: abnormality may occur.

According to the Freudian approach the ID, ego and Super-ego are developed through the psychosexual stages.

At 0-1 the oral stage occurs, if the person becomes fixated at this stage then they are likely to develop obesity and smoking disorders
At 2-3 the anal stage occurs, if the person becomes fixated at this stage they are likely to develop OCD, or become extremely kind or generous.
At 3-6 the phallic stage occurs, if the person becomes fixated at this stage they are likely to develop sexual problems, such as sexual addiction or masturbation problems.

The phallic stage occurs because of the Oedipus complex. The Oedipus complex is when a male baby within the phallic stage develops intense love for the mother and perceives the father as a threat. It generally ends when the boy notices they have similar characteristics as the dad, but if this is not sorted it can have consequences.

The same is for the girl, but it is called the Electra complex, she hates her mother because of penis-envy. (??)

Is that okay? I don't understand how I link in the Oedipus and Electra complex to a question and to be honest I don't really understand the complexes. I mean what is Penis envy and how would a child so small know about such thing?
Yeah I used Asch (measures normative social influence) and Sherif (informational social influence)

Yep that's absolutely fine. :yy:
can somebody give me some points to evaluate of locus of control please
Original post by Troytheboy
Can someone explain the Freud approach to abnormality. I don't understand it properly, this is my idea of it so far:

Freud believed that the subconcious has is allocated into three parts: the ID, the Ego and the Super-ego. The ID is the part of the subconcious that urges a person to their aggressive and sexual biological drives, the ego is the balance between the superego and ID, it is your personality, and the Super-ego is the part of the subconcious that is responsible for your morals and ideal self.

He believes that three parts are in constant tension with each-other and if one is more strong than another: abnormality may occur.

According to the Freudian approach the ID, ego and Super-ego are developed through the psychosexual stages.

At 0-1 the oral stage occurs, if the person becomes fixated at this stage then they are likely to develop obesity and smoking disorders
At 2-3 the anal stage occurs, if the person becomes fixated at this stage they are likely to develop OCD, or become extremely kind or generous.
At 3-6 the phallic stage occurs, if the person becomes fixated at this stage they are likely to develop sexual problems, such as sexual addiction or masturbation problems.

The phallic stage occurs because of the Oedipus complex. The Oedipus complex is when a male baby within the phallic stage develops intense love for the mother and perceives the father as a threat. It generally ends when the boy notices they have similar characteristics as the dad, but if this is not sorted it can have consequences.

The same is for the girl, but it is called the Electra complex, she hates her mother because of penis-envy. (??)

Is that okay? I don't understand how I link in the Oedipus and Electra complex to a question and to be honest I don't really understand the complexes. I mean what is Penis envy and how would a child so small know about such thing?

Do we have to know the stages?:O
I haven't discussed half the stuff you've written about.

I said that the psychodynamic approach is based on the assumption that abnormal behaviour is created by conflicts in the unconscious mind.

Freud suggested that these conflicts can be traced back to our early childhood experiences, as this is what makes us prone to mental health problems.

The psychodynamic approach suggests that the unconscious mind is made up of the superego, id and ego. The superego is the morality principle and if it is dominant, it could lead to OCD as it causes the individual to restrict themselves from even socially acceptable pleasures. The id is the pleasure principle and if this is dominant then it could lead to immoral behaviour and actions.

The ego balances the demands of the superego and id, and if maintained well, the individual will become well-adjusted. According to this model, we progress through psychosexual stages, such as the oral, anal, phallic and general stage. Fixation at any of these stages will lead to psychological problems. For example, fixation at the anal stage may lead to OCD and fixation at the phallic stage may lead to Schizophrenia: as the person has not developed a sense of reality.

Lastly, ego defense mechanisms balance the demands of the superego and id by distorting reality to protect the ego from distress. However if this is overused then it could lead to abnormal behaviour.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Do we have to know the stages?:O

Yeah haha. We have to know the first three, you don't have to learn latency and genital stage.
Could someone please help and explain to me these 4 things: why people conform, why people obey, why people resist obedience and why people resist conformity. My teacher rushed through these topics and didn't explain them well :/
I know on the specification it talks about cardiovascular and stress.
However, my teacher said we don't need to know about it and I haven't seen it in the past papers yet.
What do we need to know about it?
Does anyone know the 12 markers that came up last year?x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending