The Student Room Group

Which mechanical pencil is the best mechanical pencil?

I love pretty much every variation of the Kuru Toga pencil by Uni-Ball. I've got the Kuru Toga Roulette in my desk top collection and I have the basic plastic Kuru Togas dotted around the place. I like them because of their single gimmick where the lead rotates as you write, always presenting you with a sharp point.

However, they are far from perfect. For example, the erasers are tiny. I consider them to be for emergency use only and tend to carry a separate eraser around with me. If I want a bigger eraser, then the Pentel Twist-Erase GT gives me nearly 2 inches of extending rubber to erase with. However, it's a plastic pencil, so it feels cheap. Also, the lead doesn't rotate, often leading to a chisel edge.

If I want something that presents with a feel of quality, then the Pentel Graphgear 1000 is a joy to hold. It has an all metal construction and feels perfectly balanced. It also has a 4mm metal sleeve, which retracts when the clip on the side is pressed, thus making it pocket friendly (the Twist-Erase GT also has a retracting tip but the action isn't as smooth). It also just feels like it will last a lifetime. However, the eraser is tiny and the lead does not rotate.

If it weren't for the fact that Kuru Toga invented this rotating lead thing, it'd be tempting to just stock up on Bic Matics. If you shop around on Amazon and buy them 12+ at a time, then you can get them for around 30-40p each.

What does everyone else think?

Scroll to see replies

Haha, you have an impressive passion for mechanical pencils.

I have one pretty cool one, the Pentel orenz, which protects your lead as you write, so it never breaks.

I happen to have one of the Kuru-Toga pencils, but it doesn't work very well? The lead doesn't seem to rotate at all.
Reply 2
Ooh, I like the Pentel Orenz. That sliding tube system looks pretty impressive. Do you get any feedback if/when the tube drags/catches on the paper?
The obsession is unreal :lol: Unfortunately, I don't use mechanical pencils. I always end up losing them or the lead breaks every time. Ah well.
Original post by Andy182
Ooh, I like the Pentel Orenz. That sliding tube system looks pretty impressive. Do you get any feedback if/when the tube drags/catches on the paper?

Um, I haven't found that it drags/catches very much... It's pretty smooth. It's great for drawings as well because it's so fine. Only thing is that I'm not very used to it so I click it until the lead comes out, and then have to put it back so it's not exposed :tongue:
It sounds crazy, but the normal Muji mechanical pencils seem to chop your lead up into little bits always giving you a sharp edge, and made out of metal so a nice feel :smile: Should give it a try
Reply 6
Original post by acontium
It sounds crazy, but the normal Muji mechanical pencils seem to chop your lead up into little bits always giving you a sharp edge, and made out of metal so a nice feel :smile: Should give it a try

Do you have a link?
http://www.muji.eu/pages/online.asp?Sec=13&Sub=54&PID=2553
It's a japanese shop nothing fancy, but I really enjoyed using it so other people might :smile:
Reply 8
And, just to clarify, you like it BECAUSE it chops the lead up into little bits? I can kinda see how that would be a benefit, since you can bulk buy average quality lead really cheap. I'm just wondering how frustrating that might be over many pages of notes.
Original post by Andy182
And, just to clarify, you like it BECAUSE it chops the lead up into little bits? I can kinda see how that would be a benefit, since you can bulk buy average quality lead really cheap. I'm just wondering how frustrating that might be over many pages of notes.

yeah into like maybe 1cm blocks? So then you are constantly getting sharp lead, and when I have to do many many pages of maths I can't say it's ever caused me a problem really :smile: But of course with something like this it's purely personal opinion, also the weight was fun as doing pen tricks while thinking was easy :tongue:
Original post by Andy182
I love pretty much every variation of the Kuru Toga pencil by Uni-Ball. I've got the Kuru Toga Roulette in my desk top collection and I have the basic plastic Kuru Togas dotted around the place. I like them because of their single gimmick where the lead rotates as you write, always presenting you with a sharp point.

However, they are far from perfect. For example, the erasers are tiny. I consider them to be for emergency use only and tend to carry a separate eraser around with me. If I want a bigger eraser, then the Pentel Twist-Erase GT gives me nearly 2 inches of extending rubber to erase with. However, it's a plastic pencil, so it feels cheap. Also, the lead doesn't rotate, often leading to a chisel edge.

If I want something that presents with a feel of quality, then the Pentel Graphgear 1000 is a joy to hold. It has an all metal construction and feels perfectly balanced. It also has a 4mm metal sleeve, which retracts when the clip on the side is pressed, thus making it pocket friendly (the Twist-Erase GT also has a retracting tip but the action isn't as smooth). It also just feels like it will last a lifetime. However, the eraser is tiny and the lead does not rotate.

If it weren't for the fact that Kuru Toga invented this rotating lead thing, it'd be tempting to just stock up on Bic Matics. If you shop around on Amazon and buy them 12+ at a time, then you can get them for around 30-40p each.

What does everyone else think?

I used the Pilot Super Grip for years back when I did a lot of drawing. It's a classic.
This thread is incredibly gripping.
Reply 12
Original post by BCMFM16
This thread is incredibly gripping.

I know! I was worried that I may have started a thread about a niche topic that would generate little interest.

It took a while for the first reply and then, BOOM!

Glad you're enjoying it. So, what's your favourite mechanical pencil?
Original post by Andy182
I know! I was worried that I may have started a thread about a niche topic that would generate little interest.

It took a while for the first reply and then, BOOM!

Glad you're enjoying it. So, what's your favourite mechanical pencil?

Your mum. BOOM! Now it is interesting.
Reply 14
Original post by BCMFM16
Your mum. BOOM! Now it is interesting.

Oh dear, you silly thing. We are talking about mechanical pencils. Not naming family members.

You know the type of pencil where you just click the cap to advance the lead, rather that using a sharpening device to remove wood shavings, revealing a sharper point. That's what we're talking about.

Have you tried a Bic?
Original post by Andy182
Oh dear, you silly thing. We are talking about mechanical pencils. Not naming family members.

You know the type of pencil where you just click the cap to advance the lead, rather that using a sharpening device to remove wood shavings, revealing a sharper point. That's what we're talking about.

Have you tried a Bic?

Graf Von Faber ftw

#bodna
I use Rotring and Faber Castell. They are fairly cheap so not luxurious at all lol. Good quality tbh I'm pleased with them :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by BCMFM16
Graf Von Faber ftw

#bodna

Ooh, excellent choice. Some of the cheaper Faber-Castell pencils are worth a look too. Have you used any of the ones where the lead advances automatically?
Original post by Andy182
Ooh, excellent choice. Some of the cheaper Faber-Castell pencils are worth a look too. Have you used any of the ones where the lead advances automatically?

tout le temps
Reply 19
Original post by SiminaM
Rotring and Faber Castell

I must admit, I have a Rotring Tikki. It's a pencil that has never let me down. It does its job well. It's a reasonable weight. It's a reasonable price. I just don't find it particularly inspiring in any individual areas. If it were a car, it would be a Ford Focus. But, in many ways, that's a very good thing indeed.

Quick Reply

Latest