The Student Room Group

English Literature or Dance and English Literature?

I love both Dance and English equally but I can't decide what I want to do at university! I was originally planning on just doing English but I'm now possibly thinking of doing a masters in Dance, however that requires a degree in dance or a degree with a large dance component in it. I'm worried about doing the joint honours because I don't want to feel like I'm missing out on things by not going into as much depth, or that it's hard to organise my time between two departments.

If anyone has any advice or if there is anyone doing the joints honours course that could tell me what it's like, I would be extremely grateful!

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Amie_dancer
I love both Dance and English equally but I can't decide what I want to do at university! I was originally planning on just doing English but I'm now possibly thinking of doing a masters in Dance, however that requires a degree in dance or a degree with a large dance component in it. I'm worried about doing the joint honours because I don't want to feel like I'm missing out on things by not going into as much depth, or that it's hard to organise my time between two departments.

If anyone has any advice or if there is anyone doing the joints honours course that could tell me what it's like, I would be extremely grateful!

Thank you :smile:

Do you want a career in dance? If not, a masters in dance may be a luxury you can't afford. (Just checking you know there's no funding for it.) Even if you do, you don't need a degree in dance to do it as a job. You would probably be better off going to dance school. It's a precarious profession - injury happens to anyone. An English degree is a better fall-back, since 60% of graduate careers require no specific subject, but English is a well-regarded academic subject which proves you are literate.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Do you want a career in dance? If not, a masters in dance may be a luxury you can't afford. (Just checking you know there's no funding for it.) Even if you do, you don't need a degree in dance to do it as a job. You would probably be better off going to dance school. It's a precarious profession - injury happens to anyone. An English degree is a better fall-back, since 60% of graduate careers require no specific subject, but English is a well-regarded academic subject which proves you are literate.

I'm not sure what I really want to do...if I did go into dance, it would be as a teacher. Yeah this is what everyone has been saying to me, and I am prone to injury, so I feel like the Emglish degree would be a better option. I just don't want to make a mistake and regret not doing dance. Thank you so much for your help:smile:
Original post by Amie_dancer
I'm not sure what I really want to do...if I did go into dance, it would be as a teacher. Yeah this is what everyone has been saying to me, and I am prone to injury, so I feel like the Emglish degree would be a better option. I just don't want to make a mistake and regret not doing dance. Thank you so much for your help:smile:

Dancing is something you can do as a hobby all your life. I'd go with English. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest