The Student Room Group

Edexcel History Unit 2 6H102 20/05/15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by helennfoster
hey guys i'm doing the changing role of women too, but as a resit to try and boost my marks for my overall A level. If you want to ask any questions I'd be happy to answer them :smile:

Do you have any predictions for the 40 marker?
Original post by lulumaca16

probably something on employment
Yes, I agree there is not that much other than facts and dates to remember. I'm happy to help, I know how stressful exams are especially once you're in sixth form! With regards to the sources, just remember that you are analysing them so it is up to you how you interpret them and then you base your conclusion off that. Then of course you can look at the provenance; newspapers are sensational, local newspapers may have limited opinion etc.; the title of a source could also be referred to; audience and tone are important to - is it angry, persuasive, dismissive etc.

The hardest sources, I believe, are images but just remember to analyse it like any other source - was the image used in a newspaper? is it satirical? is it a photograph or a a painting? Then try and figure out what message it is trying to convey and go from there, for example is it showing women as being aggressive or hysterical therefore could be seen as attacking suffragettes or being derogatory toward them. If it's showing a woman being protected, supported, beaten or suppressed by a man you can argue it is not challenging the ideology of separate spheres or the Angel in the House...

I think the best thing to do is take a moment to read/look at the sources and if needs be, have a tiny freakout haha, get it out of the system and then tackle the question - there is no point panicking about anything once you're in the exam and you just have to take a deep breath and do the best you can with the sources you have. Plus, you can always resit like me haha

Lol cheers Helen! I have't come across a picture as a source in any past papers nor has my teacher raised it as an issue. I don't think they include pictures as a source?
Original post by Uw0tm8_
probably something on employment

Employment? Like the jobs women did in the war or something?

Theme 1 - Changing status of women.
Theme 4 - Education and work.
Original post by lucyx
That's exactly what I thought: trade unions and employment post WW1. They would also be my nightmare questions - I'm sure there's practically nothing in the textbooks on trade unions except for why they viewed women workers as a threat :s-smilie:The impact of WW1 would have been ideal, but that was in last year's paper...:angry:

Original post by mirren96
I bought revisionnotes revision guide and it manages to make a page of trade unions , but i still dont know it!

currently making a mind map of all things job related, then gonna add in trade unions!

literally gonna fail this exam! so not prepared.

Hi guys, I know it's not much but I've attached a document with a few trade unions facts etc on, hopefully it'll be useful to you both!
Original post by Gunnarsunn
Theme 1 - Changing status of women.
Theme 4 - Education and work.

Ah cool thanks
Original post by Gunnarsunn
Lol cheers Helen! I have't come across a picture as a source in any past papers nor has my teacher raised it as an issue. I don't think they include pictures as a source?

My teacher told me to be prepared in case they do, apparently they did a few years ago? Maybe at the start of the course
Hi guys, I know it's not much but I've attached a document with a few trade unions facts etc on, hopefully it'll be useful to you both!

is it bad we have literally been taught none of that?
:'D

I also feel that employment opportunities and/or trade unions may come up - I don't think it has for a while, but I may be wrong
is it bad we have literally been taught none of that?
:'D

I feel like there's quite a lot you don't get taught for some reason - I never got taught that last year, I had to find it myself haha
I also feel that employment opportunities and/or trade unions may come up - I don't think it has for a while, but I may be wrong

Cool...I'm so scared about the own knowledge part!
I feel like there's quite a lot you don't get taught for some reason - I never got taught that last year, I had to find it myself haha

Im resitting too!
But majorly underprepared and underevised!
bad idea!
Cool...I'm so scared about the own knowledge part!

I said in a post waaaaay further up; the way I'm revising is learning about 3 facts for each little subtopic if you will. Hopefully the sources will be nice and will infer or mention an act or event and we will be able to expand on it or give the date or something:biggrin:
Im resitting too!
But majorly underprepared and underevised!
bad idea!

I have JUST started revision now and I've realised I remember next to nothing hahah
I had a spanish resit today and seeing as that is what I'll be studying at uni i kind of just put history on the backburner and I'm now regretting it :frown:
To anyone doing the changing position of women, I'm using this website to expand my knowledge. It's quite good :biggrin:

http://www.historyofwomen.org/sitemap.html
I said in a post waaaaay further up; the way I'm revising is learning about 3 facts for each little subtopic if you will. Hopefully the sources will be nice and will infer or mention an act or event and we will be able to expand on it or give the date or something:biggrin:

That's such a good idea! All these acts I've written down are quite intimidating so I'll use your suggestion 😊
I have JUST started revision now and I've realised I remember next to nothing hahah
I had a spanish resit today and seeing as that is what I'll be studying at uni i kind of just put history on the backburner and I'm now regretting it :frown:

oh lord!!
i feel for you. at last you have the excuse of a previous exam!
ive literally just been sat , bunking off school. staring at walls!

How on earth do you cut each subtopic down to 3 facts?
oh lord!!
i feel for you. at last you have the excuse of a previous exam!
ive literally just been sat , bunking off school. staring at walls!

How on earth do you cut each subtopic down to 3 facts?

Just pick random facts and hope they'll be relevant hahaha. E.g. Marriage and Divorce I have Jackson marriage case 1891, Married Women Act, 1895, double standards regarding sex and Matrimonial Causes Acts 1878 and 1884
Reply 319

Thank you! Do I sense that you have used the Paula Bartley book? :smile: (LOVE that woman!)
Also, like the sneaky vfw abbreviation :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending