The Student Room Group

Will I get into UNI? BTEC grade calculator help

I'm studying BTEC Business Extended Diploma, in my first year I achieved an overall Distinction*. However, in my current year (second year), in both of the exams I achieved a Pass and a Merit and I have applied to a University where I have to get DDD overall. I have used the Pearson's grade calculator for help however I do not have my full trust in it. Can anyone tell me with the grades that I have achieved if I am able to achieve a DDD overall at the end of my second year? Thanks!
Original post by m.eightt
I'm studying BTEC Business Extended Diploma, in my first year I achieved an overall Distinction*. However, in my current year (second year), in both of the exams I achieved a Pass and a Merit and I have applied to a University where I have to get DDD overall. I have used the Pearson's grade calculator for help however I do not have my full trust in it. Can anyone tell me with the grades that I have achieved if I am able to achieve a DDD overall at the end of my second year? Thanks!

If you've used the Pearson BTEC Grade calculator you'll realise that you can't just sum-up all the units you took during your first year in the phrase "I achieved an overall Distinction*". Which units you took (and therefore their size, in Guided Learning Hours) is important - as is the grade per unit.

You will also know that for the exams, to calculate your overall grade you need not just the unit grade (e.g. pass or merit), but the number of points you earned (which can be derived from your raw mark). You've also only mentioned two exams, whilst there are four within the Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Business (see the specification here).

If you've completed the details requested by the BTEC Grade Calculator correctly, it will give you the correct overall grade. You have no reason to distrust it.

If you want to work it out by hand:

(1) For each optional units (unit numbers 8 and up), allocate 6 points for a pass, 10 points for a merit, and 16 points for a distinction.
(2) For each mandatory internal unit, allocate 9 points for a pass, 15 points for a merit, and 24 points for a distinction.
(3) For the external units, you really need to know your raw mark (or the associated points). If you simply don't know, you could use the mid-points of each grade (which vary by unit size).
(a) For Unit 2 (Developing a Marketing Campaign) allocate 12 points for a pass and 19 for a merit.
(b) For Units 3, 6 and 7 allocate 16 points for a pass and 26 points for a merit.
(4) Add-up all the above. You need 216 points for DDD.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
If you've used the Pearson BTEC Grade calculator you'll realise that you can't just sum-up all the units you took during your first year in the phrase "I achieved an overall Distinction*". Which units you took (and therefore their size, in Guided Learning Hours) is important - as is the grade per unit.

You will also know that for the exams, to calculate your overall grade you need not just the unit grade (e.g. pass or merit), but the number of points you earned (which can be derived from your raw mark). You've also only mentioned two exams, whilst there are four within the Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Business (see the specification here).

If you've completed the details requested by the BTEC Grade Calculator correctly, it will give you the correct overall grade. You have no reason to distrust it.

If you want to work it out by hand:

(1) For each optional units (unit numbers 8 and up), allocate 6 points for a pass, 10 points for a merit, and 16 points for a distinction.
(2) For each mandatory internal unit, allocate 9 points for a pass, 15 points for a merit, and 24 points for a distinction.
(3) For the external units, you really need to know your raw mark (or the associated points). If you simply don't know, you could use the mid-points of each grade (which vary by unit size).
(a) For Unit 2 (Developing a Marketing Campaign) allocate 12 points for a pass and 19 for a merit.
(b) For Units 3, 6 and 7 allocate 16 points for a pass and 26 points for a merit.
(4) Add-up all the above. You need 216 points for DDD.

Hi, I really appreciate your reply, I will also inform you of all the grades I have received throughout my course and I hope you can use them to calculate accurately what grade I will end up with.
Unit 1 Exploring Business - Distinction
Unit 2 - Developing a Marketing Campaign - Distinction (53/70)
Unit 3 Personal and Business Finance - Merit (42/100)
Unit 4 Managing an Event - Distinction
Unit 17 Digital Marketing - Distinction
Unit 22 Market Research - Distinction
Above are all the first year grades I have achieved and I have received certificates from Pearson stating that I have achieved a Distinction*
Below are the second year grades
Unit 5 International Business - Distinction
Unit 6 Principles of Management - Pass (44/80)
Unit 7 Business Decision Making - Merit (51/70)
Unit 8 Recruitment and Selection Process - Distinction
Unit 19 Pitching for a new business - Distinction
Unit 14 Customer Service - Distinction
Unit 23 The English Legal System - Distinction
Could you please calculate the accurate grade I will get at the end of my second year, I need to make sure it is the accurate grade as it will affect my chances of heading to my chosen University, Thanks a lot!
Hi, I really appreciate your reply, I will also inform you of all the grades I have received throughout my course and I hope you can use them to calculate accurately what grade I will end up with.
Above are all the first year grades I have achieved and I have received certificates from Pearson stating that I have achieved a Distinction*
Could you please calculate the accurate grade I will get at the end of my second year, I need to make sure it is the accurate grade as it will affect my chances of heading to my chosen University, Thanks a lot!

Datavenia has given you the information above which will help you to calculate the overall grade. Also, the Pearson grade is working correctly.

Thanks for providing so much detail. As I said earlier, you'll need 216 points for a DDD. From just the internal units (which are easier to work with) you have 168 points. So I'm sure you've got at least a DDD. But I'll plough on with the external marks too.

I'm going to assume you took last year's exams in June and this year's exams in January (the grade boundaries can move around a little). See here for June 2022 and here for January 2023.

June 2023
Unit 2 - 53/70: The grade boundary for a distinction was 53/70, so this is simple - 24 points.
Unit 3 - 42/100: Although the specification says Unit 3 is out of 100, the grade boundaries are quoted out of 80 for Unit 3, which is odd. I'm going to treat your 42/100 (42%) as 34/80. The grade boundary for a merit was 29/80 (20 points) and for a distinction was 42/80 (32 points). You were 5/13ths of the way between the two boundaries, so that's 24 points (25 if they round up).

January 2023
Unit 6 - 44/80: Both the specification and the grade boundaries say unit 6 was out of 88 by the way, so I'm assuming this is really 44/88. 33/88 is a pass (12 points) and 49/88 is a merit (20 points); they use a sliding scale so your 44/88 would be 17 points (or 18 if they round up).
Unit 7 - 51/70: 39/70 is a merit (20 points) and 54/70 is a distinction (32 points). So your 44/80 is 1/3 of the way between the two, so you'd get 24 points.

The above calculation isn't flawless, but I reckon you'd at 257 points - or D*D*D - overall. :smile:

BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Business - m.eightt - DstarDstarD.JPG

(My brain's a bit fried - so feel free to double-check the logic for the external grades above.)
Reply 5
BTEC Business Level 3 Extended Diploma students who have completed the course last year (2022), which grades did you get in each unit and how did it contribute to your overall grade? I need a DDD and have got a Pass and a Merit in my two exams this year and am unsure if it is able to get me into University. If anyone achieved a DDD last year, can you let me know all the grades you got in each unit in first year and second year? Thanks.
Reply 6
He literally worked it out, and u ignored him. Kinda sad
Original post by DataVenia
Thanks for providing so much detail. As I said earlier, you'll need 216 points for a DDD. From just the internal units (which are easier to work with) you have 168 points. So I'm sure you've got at least a DDD. But I'll plough on with the external marks too.

I'm going to assume you took last year's exams in June and this year's exams in January (the grade boundaries can move around a little). See here for June 2022 and here for January 2023.

June 2023
Unit 2 - 53/70: The grade boundary for a distinction was 53/70, so this is simple - 24 points.
Unit 3 - 42/100: Although the specification says Unit 3 is out of 100, the grade boundaries are quoted out of 80 for Unit 3, which is odd. I'm going to treat your 42/100 (42%) as 34/80. The grade boundary for a merit was 29/80 (20 points) and for a distinction was 42/80 (32 points). You were 5/13ths of the way between the two boundaries, so that's 24 points (25 if they round up).

January 2023
Unit 6 - 44/80: Both the specification and the grade boundaries say unit 6 was out of 88 by the way, so I'm assuming this is really 44/88. 33/88 is a pass (12 points) and 49/88 is a merit (20 points); they use a sliding scale so your 44/88 would be 17 points (or 18 if they round up).
Unit 7 - 51/70: 39/70 is a merit (20 points) and 54/70 is a distinction (32 points). So your 44/80 is 1/3 of the way between the two, so you'd get 24 points.

The above calculation isn't flawless, but I reckon you'd at 257 points - or D*D*D - overall. :smile:

BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Business - m.eightt - DstarDstarD.JPG

(My brain's a bit fried - so feel free to double-check the logic for the external grades above.)

Hi if you don't mind explaining better. So for the exams, the actual mark we got will be converted into points?
Original post by Noxti
Hi if you don't mind explaining better. So for the exams, the actual mark we got will be converted into points?

That's right. Let's take a concrete example (as it just makes the explanation easier). Suppose you're taking a Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Business and you've just got your mark for the Unit 7 Business Decision exam, which is out of 70 marks. Let's assume you achieved a mark of 51 out of 70.

In order to turn this into points you need to look-up the grade boundaries which applied to this particular exam series. This is because if they realise that the paper was slightly easier than usual, they'll more the boundaries up slightly so the same mark earns fewer points. Similarly, if the paper was slightly harder than usual, they'll move the boundaries down slightly so the same mark earns more points.

For this example, I'm going to assume that this Unit 7 exam was taken in January 2023. We can find the boundaries for all BTEC Level 3 Nationals during that series here. Scrolling down until we find Business, we find the grade boundaries for each external (i.e examined) unit.

BTEC Nationals - Grade Boundaries - Business - January 2023.JPG

I've highlighted Unit 7, and the two grade boundaries either side of 51 (the mark we're using in this example). You will note that 39/70 would mean a M(erit) and that 54/70 would mean a D(istinction). There's a 15-mark gap between those two boundaries (i.e. 54 - 39), and a 12-mark gap between the bottom boundary (39/70) and the actual achieved mark of 51/70 (i.e. 51 - 39). So a mark of 51 is twelve fifteenths (12/15) of the way from a Merit to a Distinction. With me so far?

So then we need to see how many points a Merit would earn for this unit, and how many points a Distinction would earn. A mark of 51 would earn the number of points which is twelve fifteenths (12/15) of the distance between those two different points values. For that, we need to note that the size of this unit is 120 GLH (guided learning hours), which we can see in the image above, and then refer to this table at the beginning of the grade boundaries, in the "Converting marks to points" section:

BTEC Nationals - Points per Grade for External Units.JPG

You will note that for a 120 GLH unit, you get 20 points for a Merit and 32 for a Distinction. That's a 12-point difference (32 - 20). So that this mark of 51 will earn 20 points (for the hitting the Merit grade boundary) plus twelve fifteenths (12/15) of this 12 points difference. As 12/15 of 12 is 9.6, this is 20 + 9.6, or 29.6 points. As you might expect, this is quite close to the points for a Distinction (32 points), as the mark (51/70) was quite close the the grade boundary for a Distinction (54/70).

I don't know what they'd do with the fact that this 29.6 isn't a whole number. I suspect they'd round it to 30 points.

Do all that make sense? (It's way more complicated than it should be - but that's the way they do it.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending