The Student Room Group

2015 GCSE 21st Century Physics P1 P2 P3

Scroll to see replies

Good luck guys,i wish u the best
you too!! any idea of what may come up??
Reply 42
You know the specification statement: "Understand how rocks provide evidence for changes in the Earth (erosion and sedimentation, fossils, folding)" what exactly does it mean? Can someone explain pls
Original post by kxylah
You know the specification statement: "Understand how rocks provide evidence for changes in the Earth (erosion and sedimentation, fossils, folding)" what exactly does it mean? Can someone explain pls

Basically seafloor spreading
Reply 44
Original post by Vanilla Poison
Basically seafloor spreading

How does erosion, sedimentation, fossils and folding come into seafloor spreading? (lool sound so stupid rn)
Reply 45
Original post by kxylah

Isn't it like the rock cycle aswell?? And how like the oldest rocks are at the bottom , which can tell us about the age of the earth

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
ohhhh and you know how the mantle is a solid then how do tectonic plates float on a solid:confused:
Reply 47
Original post by kxylah
ohhhh and you know how the mantle is a solid then how do tectonic plates float on a solid:confused:

Well the mantle is said to have the properties of a solid but the mantle can flow VERY slowly allowing the movements of tectonic plates

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kxylah

Basically...
when studying rocks, it tell us about the Earth's structure and how it has changed.

Through the erosion process we can tell that the Earth's surface is made of rock layers. The oldest rock is usually at the bottom. the layers are compacted sediment, produced by weathering and erosion.

when looking at mountain formation we can tell that the earth would have eroded down to sea level if mountains weren't being formed.

we can look at craters on the moon, as the surface is covered with impact craters from meteors, we can also tell that they have hit earth but have been erased by erosion.

we can also look at the radioactivity of rocks. A rock's radioactivity decreases over time and radioactive dating measure radiation levels to find a rock's age.

we can also look at fossils of animals and plants in sedimentary rock layers, which shows how life has changed.

Most of these are in the revision guide. :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by kxylah

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432057520.779794.jpg read the number 2:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know what 2 factors produce rock stripes of alternating polarity? don't understand that shizz :s-smilie:
Reply 51
What do you guys think the 6 markers will be on. I'm so stuck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by An-Mi-Ah
Does anyone know what 2 factors produce rock stripes of alternating polarity? don't understand that shizz :s-smilie:

So as magma that rises from the mantle cools, it gets band of normal or reversed polarity. This is due to the iron in the magma aligning with the earth's magnetic field which changes direction every half a million years. These bands will be symmetrical either side of the oceanic ridge showing clear patterns. This is convincing evidence that new sea floor is being made and continents are moving apart.

Let me know if that explanation isn't good enough!
To say the least, I'm panicking so much. Although P123 is one of my stronger physics module "groups" I'm still stressing since I suck at Physics. Literally.
Reply 54
Original post by abbeyjayne
To say the least, I'm panicking so much. Although P123 is one of my stronger physics module "groups" I'm still stressing since I suck at Physics. Literally.

Same:frown: the thing is though all of the 1,2,3s are all the easiest modules out of the 7 so it can only get harder:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by beth000
Same:frown: the thing is though all of the 1,2,3s are all the easiest modules out of the 7 so it can only get harder:frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

1234 and 7 are okay for me just 5 and 6 i'm useless at :frown:
Reply 56
You guys have an idea what might the 6 markers be????
Original post by flakeface
so as magma that rises from the mantle cools, it gets band of normal or reversed polarity. This is due to the iron in the magma aligning with the earth's magnetic field which changes direction every half a million years. These bands will be symmetrical either side of the oceanic ridge showing clear patterns. This is convincing evidence that new sea floor is being made and continents are moving apart.

Let me know if that explanation isn't good enough!

thaaaaaaaanks :d
I feel suicidal looking at P3 formulas D:
Reply 59
Original post by An-Mi-Ah
Basically...
when studying rocks, it tell us about the Earth's structure and how it has changed.

Through the erosion process we can tell that the Earth's surface is made of rock layers. The oldest rock is usually at the bottom. the layers are compacted sediment, produced by weathering and erosion.

when looking at mountain formation we can tell that the earth would have eroded down to sea level if mountains weren't being formed.

we can look at craters on the moon, as the surface is covered with impact craters from meteors, we can also tell that they have hit earth but have been erased by erosion.

we can also look at the radioactivity of rocks. A rock's radioactivity decreases over time and radioactive dating measure radiation levels to find a rock's age.

we can also look at fossils of animals and plants in sedimentary rock layers, which shows how life has changed.

Most of these are in the revision guide. :smile:

omg thanks that was helpful!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending