The Student Room Group

OCR Gateway Biology Exam ~ Triple Science ~ Wednesday 20th May and Friday 12th June

So the first Biology exam is on Wednesday (triple)
B1-B3.. anyone got any predictions or tips?

Scroll to see replies

The usual...do past papers, go over mark schemes to see what they are expecting of you and revise/ cram for Wednesday by going through the content again.

Doing mind maps works for me, I have a side of A3 for each unit (B1,B2,B3) and I look at them for quick memory checkups.

I think questions on the heart will come up so make sure you know how to label one and how the circulatory system works.

For a 6 marker, maybe genetic engineering or cloning?

Something on plants (Auxin hormones and the -tropisms) to test your knowledge as some people forget about these.

Calculation questions could include BMI, EAR for protein...

Good luck to you for the exam! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by MissPlaying

I have that exam aswell im so scared :frown:
Reply 3
The details are so important for all sciences, but especially Biology. It's easy to miss things out in the stress of exams, read through all your answers.
Watch out for the 'suggest why' questions, think about which concept they are testing you on: they are not random questions!
For the 6 markers, take it back to basics. Defining key terms in the question will help you to get on the right track for the answer.
Answer efficiently, you only have 25 minutes per module, I would think you'd spend around 9 minutes for the six marker. Do not rush though, and ensure you have read the question properly.
Of course remember to use the correct key terms too, OCR are very fussy about that, for example, when DNA replicated, you have to say 'The double helix structure unzips itself', unwind, split etc. will not be credited, so think about what you are writing all the time.
Best of luck to everybody.
Thanks guys :smile:
Luckily the exam is in the afternoon, and I've got 3 solid hours to revise it all :smile:

Good luck to all
Reply 5
Original post by RJG123
The details are so important for all sciences, but especially Biology. It's easy to miss things out in the stress of exams, read through all your answers.
Watch out for the 'suggest why' questions, think about which concept they are testing you on: they are not random questions!
For the 6 markers, take it back to basics. Defining key terms in the question will help you to get on the right track for the answer.
Answer efficiently, you only have 25 minutes per module, I would think you'd spend around 9 minutes for the six marker. Do not rush though, and ensure you have read the question properly.
Of course remember to use the correct key terms too, OCR are very fussy about that, for example, when DNA replicated, you have to say 'The double helix structure unzips itself', unwind, split etc. will not be credited, so think about what you are writing all the time.
Best of luck to everybody.

Thank you so much. This was quite helpful. Are you also doing the exam?
Reply 6
Original post by nish_99
Thank you so much. This was quite helpful. Are you also doing the exam?

Yes I am taking the exam tomorrow
Reply 7
Original post by RJG123
Yes I am taking the exam tomorrow

how do you think it will go? and what are predicted ?
Reply 8
Exam boards are always trying to be more 'modern' and '21st century' than each other. Therefore lots of questions involving data can be expected as well as lots of 'suggest why' questions. Also looking at new science which really gets the examiners to an organic state- things like genetic engineering and the potential for stem cells to help with disorders and be a treatment. That's just for b3. Expect lotsss of graphs for 6 mark questions.
Reply 9
B1 also the nervous system is likely. Commercial uses of plant hormones. Sources of genetic variation.

B2 the carbon and nitrogen cycle. Different methods of measuring growth. Evaluation of conservation programmes.

B3 the heart. Genetic engineering. Respiratory quotient and other respiration.
Original post by MissPlaying

My science teach made these predictions

B1

diet - proteins - carbs - fat s
anaerobic respiration
aerobic is unlikely to appear
bmi
immunity
dugs and their effects on the nervous system
smoking
reflexes

B2

sampling methods
pyramids of biomass
classifying
evolution
darwin and lamarck
global warming

B3

temp. - PH - enzyme activity
substrate and active site
THE HEART !!!
learn how to label
circulation
cell division (mieosis and mitosis)
genetic engineering (making insulin)
cloning in plants (dolly unlikely)
cuttings and tissue culture

IM ABSOLUTELY ****TING MYSELF !!!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL
I've got the exam today aswell, just go over 6 markers in past papers and look at the mark scheme for them because the same 6 markers roughly come up each year. Good luck!
Reply 12
that was quite a random exam i thought, especially towards the end :frown:
but it was quite easy, like name the DNA bases
Reply 14
all of those six mark questions were the worst
All the six mark questions were all based on graphs....loool (How did everyone hold up?)
Reply 16
I felt like it didn't really test very much...
Reply 17
oh gosh the last question's answer was A T C G right? i thought it was talking about mRNA. oops
also what did everyone write for the six markers? i found that i couldn't write much for the first two :frown:
Original post by haes
oh gosh the last question's answer was A T C G right? i thought it was talking about mRNA. oops
also what did everyone write for the six markers? i found that i couldn't write much for the first two :frown:

plzz tell me the efficiency for the second six marker was 10%
Original post by haes

I didn't write than much for the six markers either, i didn't use all the lines. I found that the paper really focused on data analysis, instead of content which I didn't expect.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending