The Student Room Group

Aqa conflict, poems 100% not in exam here

OK so on the AQA discussion forum it says this:

Section A is based on the study of poems from our anthology, ‘Moon on the Tides' which is divided into four thematic clusters of 15 poems:

relationships
conflict
place
characters and voice.

Candidates should study one cluster in detail to respond to questions.

Candidates will be expected to answer a question about a named poem and then compare it with another poem of their choice from the same cluster (unnamed).

If the following poems are named they will be named only in Higher Tier Questions:

Character and Voice: Medusa, Les Grands Seigneurs, Casehistory: Alison (head injury)
Place: The Blackbird of Glanmore, Crossing the Loch, Extract from The Prelude
Conflict: Belfast Confetti, The Yellow Palm, next to of course god America i
Relationships: Hour, Harmonium, Sonnet 116

If the following poems are named, they will be named only in Foundation Tier questions:

Character and Voice: Brendon Gallacher, Give, The Ruined Maid
Place: A Vision, Price We Pay for the Sun, Spellbound
Conflict: Flag, The Right Word, The Falling Leaves
Relationships: In Paris with you, Brothers, Sister Maude
All of the other poems in these clusters could be named and could appear in questions on either tier.

is this correct?! It says on the AQA discussion page that flag, the right word and falling leaves only appear in foundation?!
Reply 1
Original post by noz01
OK so on the AQA discussion forum it says this:

Section A is based on the study of poems from our anthology, ‘Moon on the Tides' which is divided into four thematic clusters of 15 poems:

relationships
conflict
place
characters and voice.

Candidates should study one cluster in detail to respond to questions.

Candidates will be expected to answer a question about a named poem and then compare it with another poem of their choice from the same cluster (unnamed).

If the following poems are named they will be named only in Higher Tier Questions:

Character and Voice: Medusa, Les Grands Seigneurs, Casehistory: Alison (head injury)
Place: The Blackbird of Glanmore, Crossing the Loch, Extract from The Prelude
Conflict: Belfast Confetti, The Yellow Palm, next to of course god America i
Relationships: Hour, Harmonium, Sonnet 116

If the following poems are named, they will be named only in Foundation Tier questions:

Character and Voice: Brendon Gallacher, Give, The Ruined Maid
Place: A Vision, Price We Pay for the Sun, Spellbound
Conflict: Flag, The Right Word, The Falling Leaves
Relationships: In Paris with you, Brothers, Sister Maude
All of the other poems in these clusters could be named and could appear in questions on either tier.

is this correct?! It says on the AQA discussion page that flag, the right word and falling leaves only appear in foundation?!

I'm uncertain if this is correct because it's been a few years since my GCSE English, but it says they only appear as the named poem. You're still fine to use them as the second poem to compare the first one to, that's totally up to you to make the most appropriate choice :smile:
There has been an update, the foundation tier poems can come up now. For conflict they are the only poems not to have come up, check the AQA English Literature specification updates on their website.
My teacher said they are going to start all over again like a cycle.
Reply 4
Original post by TheRealInjustice
There has been an update, the foundation tier poems can come up now. For conflict they are the only poems not to have come up, check the AQA English Literature specification updates on their website.

so all the poems can come in the higher paper?

Quick Reply

Latest