The Student Room Group

Should I give up my dream of moving to Asia?

I have always considered Singapore or Hong Kong to move to however I do not do well in hot humid weathers when I went to Thailand it was about 30-35 degrees everyday I found it really hard I enjoy cool weather if I moved my life could be better I also like Switzerland but I do not know the language currently learning French but I don't think it will be good enough to study there and be a doctor. What's your opinion would you let the weather hold you back or go and explore? Please no silly comments thank you

Scroll to see replies

It's cold in HK in the winter though not as cold as in England. Tbh, I got used to HK weather after a while.

Depends on your preferences and where you actually want to go.
don't doctors get paid a lot more in western countries? dunno that might be a stereotype
The Singapore weather is really humid but it's manageable with cotton clothing.
Reply 4
Original post by applemayalee
The Singapore weather is really humid but it's manageable with cotton clothing.

What's the life style like what do people do in the middle of the day when its the hottest? Is there air conditioning everywhere or not?Iam concerned that the extreme heat will stop me from doing stuff for example not being able to go outside?
(edited 8 years ago)
We Singaporeans just pretty much do what is needed to be done e.g. work/school. Public transport and shopping malls are air-conditioned, When weather gets really hot, iced drinks, desserts and herbal tea are in high demand. There're a lot of convenience stores and eateries everywhere in Singapore so getting a cold drink is really easy.

Singapore is modern and cosmopolitan, pretty much like London or NYC.

Original post by Maria1812
What's the life style like what do people do in the middle of the day when its the hottest? Is there air conditioning everywhere or not?
Reply 6
We Singaporeans just pretty much do what is needed to be done e.g. work/school. Public transport and shopping malls are air-conditioned, When weather gets really hot, iced drinks, desserts and herbal tea are in high demand. There're a lot of convenience stores and eateries everywhere in Singapore so getting a cold drink is really easy.

Do you prefer living in Ireland or Singapore did you ever pass out because of the heat?

Is it? I heard free speech is an issue over there. What would happen if a Singaporean like yourself made a blog berating the Singaporean government?
Do you prefer living in Ireland or Singapore did you ever pass out because of the heat?

I'm doing my studies in Singapore with UCD via distance learning. Looking to visit Ireland for an exchange programme (provided I have guaranteed myself at least 2nd class honours).

Haha you won't pass out from the heat! Just keep yourself hydrated. :smile:
Original post by Juichiro
Is it? I heard free speech is an issue over there. What would happen if a Singaporean like yourself made a blog berating the Singaporean government?

I believe that free speech should be made with responsibility and maturity. There are Singaporeans who are vocal with their views regarding government policies but they are not prosecuted for 'free speech'.
Reply 10
I'm doing my studies in Singapore with UCD via distance learning. Looking to visit Ireland for an exchange programme (provided I have guaranteed myself at least 2nd class honours).

Haha you won't pass out from the heat! Just keep yourself hydrated. :smile:

Thank you for your helpful comments when I vist Singapore I will see what's it like then I will decide how is the medical care there would you say doctors are well off?
Thank you for your helpful comments when I vist Singapore I will see what's it like then I will decide how is the medical care there would you say doctors are well off?

Singapore has an established healthcare system of hospitals, specialty centres and clinics. No worries on this!
I believe that free speech should be made with responsibility and maturity. There are Singaporeans who are vocal with their views regarding government policies but they are not prosecuted for 'free speech'.

What does "with responsibility and maturity" mean? You can't say "I support a bit of free speech" if that's what you are trying to say. You either support the whole package or none. Btw, I don't mean prosecuted. Threats (veiled or open) also count as trying to silence dissident views. Also I heard the recently deceased "father" of the Singaporean miracle was quite big on this (censorship).
Original post by Juichiro
What does "with responsibility and maturity" mean? You can't say "I support a bit of free speech" if that's what you are trying to say. You either support the whole package or none. Btw, I don't mean prosecuted. Threats (veiled or open) also count as trying to silence dissident views. Also I heard the recently deceased "father" of the Singaporean miracle was quite big on this (censorship).

Will you mind if we can bring this somewhere else, perhaps in private? We have gone off-track. :smile:
Will you mind if we can bring this somewhere else, perhaps in private? We have gone off-track. :smile:

Sure. :smile: My profile wall should do.
The humidity in hongkong is probably the worst thing about it but you can survive. Dont give up your dream just based on that because it is worth it :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have always considered Singapore or Hong Kong to move to however I do not do well in hot humid weathers when I went to Thailand it was about 30-35 degrees everyday I found it really hard I enjoy cool weather if I moved my life could be better I also like Switzerland but I do not know the language currently learning French but I don't think it will be good enough to study there and be a doctor. What's your opinion would you let the weather hold you back or go and explore? Please no silly comments thank you

I was born and raised in Singapore up until I was 12 when I moved to England for boarding school. Now I've moved to Norway.

If you go with an open mind, then the sky is the limit in terms of what you can or cannot do. Singapore is a good place to be, often wonder why I left and often harbour the thought that someday I will pack up my life here and return.

There are many people who don't like the weather that lives in Singapore, reality of it is there are actually very little reasons to be affected by the climate if it isn't something you appreciate a lot. Just about anything and everything that can be air conditioned has already been airconditioned, in a few years I'm sure they would have found a way to air condition the streets too :biggrin: You will be glad for the heat at times, buildings tend to be cooled rather liberally that it often feels just like winter. The biggest problem about the climate isn't so much the humidity, what's really tough is when the haze arrives from neighbouring countries.

Many parts of Singapore, you won't really feel that you are in Asia as it has a big expatriate community there. In the condo block I used to live in, there was only 1 other family from Singapore that lived there, nearly everyone else were either from USA, Australia or Japan.

The good part about Singapore, it is perhaps one of the most meritocratic and competitive societies in the world, many of the top doctors have foreign origins and that's the beauty of the system there, if you are good they don't care where you came from (granted if you were black it MAY cause some problems),

I did consider moving to Switzerland last year, however I felt that I'd miss the views of the oceans that I can see just about every morning here. Also felt at my age I was too old to try moving to a place that I knew nothing of the language as well as I felt it was unfair on my kids to uproot again after haven got used to things here.
Reply 17
Original post by Alfissti
I was born and raised in Singapore up until I was 12 when I moved to England for boarding school. Now I've moved to Norway.

If you go with an open mind, then the sky is the limit in terms of what you can or cannot do. Singapore is a good place to be, often wonder why I left and often harbour the thought that someday I will pack up my life here and return.

There are many people who don't like the weather that lives in Singapore, reality of it is there are actually very little reasons to be affected by the climate if it isn't something you appreciate a lot. Just about anything and everything that can be air conditioned has already been airconditioned, in a few years I'm sure they would have found a way to air condition the streets too :biggrin: You will be glad for the heat at times, buildings tend to be cooled rather liberally that it often feels just like winter. The biggest problem about the climate isn't so much the humidity, what's really tough is when the haze arrives from neighbouring countries.

Many parts of Singapore, you won't really feel that you are in Asia as it has a big expatriate community there. In the condo block I used to live in, there was only 1 other family from Singapore that lived there, nearly everyone else were either from USA, Australia or Japan.

The good part about Singapore, it is perhaps one of the most meritocratic and competitive societies in the world, many of the top doctors have foreign origins and that's the beauty of the system there, if you are good they don't care where you came from (granted if you were black it MAY cause some problems),

I did consider moving to Switzerland last year, however I felt that I'd miss the views of the oceans that I can see just about every morning here. Also felt at my age I was too old to try moving to a place that I knew nothing of the language as well as I felt it was unfair on my kids to uproot again after haven got used to things here.

Thank you for taking your time writing this this is very inspiring I will consider moving there after all if I will be able to get work there. Did you ever visit Hong Kong how are they there with english?
Reply 18
What's the life style like what do people do in the middle of the day when its the hottest? Is there air conditioning everywhere or not?Iam concerned that the extreme heat will stop me from doing stuff for example not being able to go outside?

lol. I remember when I went to Singapore and in the middle of a sunny day it started raining and even the rain was warm haha. You could see it evaporating off the ground.
Parts of Singapore have over head shelter things and also wear cool clothing.
Are you thinking about traveling to all of the different countries you suggested or are you wanting to move to one of them, if you just want to travel there for a visit then just do it. I'm sure you can cope with the different weather conditions for a short period of time.

But yes, do not give up on you ambition on going to these countries as you will always regret it.
Thank you for taking your time writing this this is very inspiring I will consider moving there after all if I will be able to get work there. Did you ever visit Hong Kong how are they there with english?

Most people speak English in Hong Kong. Mainly the younger generation though. It's compulsory to learn English in schools in Hong Kong. Many things are translated into English in HK. There are TV channels for English speakers etc...

You'll get along fine with English in HK, but it might be easier to learn some Cantonese.

I think people are slightly better with English in Singapore though. (Only went there twice)
There are also quite a lot of English expats in Hong Kong.

Quick Reply

Latest