The Student Room Group

AS Biology Edexcel IAL Unit 1 & 2 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by PlayerBB
I'm gonna start solving p.p tmw, u?

hey
same here... omg they r like literally empty but if ive made a good schedule and ill finish by 30th
Reply 141
Original post by AJC1997
yeah, I was also thinking about maybe mentioning prenatal testing BUT the question already said that both parents
were carriers - as they were heterozygous, meaning testing and amniocentesis would have no benefit as they already knew that they were at risk of giving birth to a sufferer.

Yes true,you have a point....So it's alright if I mentioned about 25% risk and drew the punnet box and yeah that's it I guess for that question.
Also what did you write for the risk associated with the use of heparin,is liver damage alright?
Original post by A84
hey
same here... omg they r like literally empty but if ive made a good schedule and ill finish by 30th

Hahahahah same

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Polpi
Yes true,you have a point....So it's alright if I mentioned about 25% risk and drew the punnet box and yeah that's it I guess for that question.
Also what did you write for the risk associated with the use of heparin,is liver damage alright?

I just said excessive bleeding if they get injured + liver damage is right too :smile:
Original post by AJC1997
Well it's reassuring to here I didn't write complete rubbish for this question, I'm happy with 3+ marks for it haha :smile:

Most of the pounts match except for the fact that i wrote that the potatoes to be cooked in a range of temperatures for the same amount of time since it was asked "the effect of cooking" not time or any temperature in particular..
Reply 145
Original post by Lama1847
what did u write for why galactose and glucose are monosaccharides

both have a general formula of C6H12O6 and are the simplest molecules that have not undergone a condensation reaction :/ Not so sure if it's right
Original post by AvWOW
both have a general formula of C6H12O6 and are the simplest molecules that have not undergone a condensation reaction :/ Not so sure if it's right

I wrote since both of them are composed of single units and are made of carbohydrates or reducing sugar ..hence the term monosachharides
Reply 147
Original post by Mushi123
I wrote since both of them are composed of single units and are made of carbohydrates or reducing sugar ..hence the term monosachharides

really not sure about that. In retrospect I kinda think It wasn't as easy as I initially though. Still want to scrape an A.
I guess they wanted us to justify the two parts of the term .."mono" and "sachharide" hence the explanation..it was of 2 marks...should get 1 at least
I wrote because they consist of one sugar unit and both don't contain glycosidic bonds

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 150
I also wrote the single unit and more unit point, and I mentioned the sweet taste in mono but no sweet taste in poly..
Reply 151
hello :smile: could someone please give me a good description of how crossing over and independent assortment result in genetic variation?
Original post by hm1234
hello :smile: could someone please give me a good description of how crossing over and independent assortment result in genetic variation?

Hey :biggrin:

-Both are features of meiosis
-Meiosis is important as it reduces chromosome number in gametes from 46 to 23 , so from diploid to haploid and creates genetic variation.

Independent/random assortment
-Means the number of chromosomes (out of 23) that a gamete receives that are from the paternal (male) or maternal (female) side is determined by chance (randomly).
-This leads to genetic variation in gametes because the estimated number of paternal-maternal chromosome combinations is over 8'000'000!

Crossing over/Recombination
-Large multi-enzyme complexes 'cut' and 'stitch' parts of paternal and maternal chromatids together.
(Homologous pair of chromosomes next to each other 'cross over' their chromatids making an X shape called chiasma, chromatids break and recombine.The location at which the chromatids break is called chiasmata).
-This leads to genetic variation because chromatids have exchanged genetic information and because errors in the process can lead to mutations which will introduce new combinations
(edited 8 years ago)
J
Original post by AvWOW

same
Can anyone explain X chromosome inactivation, please?
EDIT: do we even have to know about it?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by PinkRhinos
Can anyone explain X chromosome inactivation, please?

This only occurs in females because they contain 2x-chromosome so double the genetic material in which one x chromosome in inactivate in the nuclues during embryo development and passed to embryonic cells. It is inactivated by supercoiling of chromosome forming a mass known as Barr body

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 156
any predictions for unit 2 guys?
Reply 157
Original post by PinkRhinos

Don't think so :smile:, I don't remember seeing this in any of the past papers..
Reply 158
Original post by DK 96
Don't think so :smile:, I don't remember seeing this in any of the past papers..

From what I heard we don't need to know X chromosome inactivation and epistatis... can anyone conform this?
Reply 159
we have to have an idea, it is afterall a HSW box and so questions can be based on it.. all u have to do is read it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending