The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Let's talk! Ask a current student anything about the University of Birmingham :)

Scroll to see replies

Hey!! I'm going into Year 12 in September and my absolute dream is to go to Birmingham University to study Psychology. Please can you tell me a bit about the interview process - what sort of things do they ask you? Also, what's the student life like there? I'm doing Biology, Psychology, Sociology and Classical Civilisations next year - are they good for doing Psychology at uni? Thank you!
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 21
Hello, I am an international student and have applied for BSc in Psychology and received a conditional offer from Birmingham among other unis i applied to. I was wondering if you could give me some insight into the course modules and how it is compared to modules from other universitites? Also, how is the quality of lecturers and the student life there? I really need to make a firm and insurance choice soon but I can't seem to decide between the universities i applied to. Also how is job prospect for psychology graduates? Thanks!
Reply 22
Original post by ThatIzziGirl
Hey!! I'm going into Year 12 in September and my absolute dream is to go to Birmingham University to study Psychology. Please can you tell me a bit about the interview process - what sort of things do they ask you? Also, what's the student life like there? I'm doing Biology, Psychology, Sociology and Classical Civilisations next year - are they good for doing Psychology at uni? Thank you!

Hello ThatIzziGirl, so sorry for the late reply I've been very busy with exams and revision :frown: its great to hear how passionate you are about psychology. :biggrin: At Birmingham unless the process will have changed by the time you apply there isn't an interview process. The allocation process of places to students consists of just the personal statement. The student life at Birmingham is fantastic, there's something for everyone to get involved in. As Birmingham university is so close to the city centre as well there's a great variety of things to do in the day and in the evening! I never did biology at A level and I think it's probably the best subject you can do (apart from Psychology) for a psychology degree. So I'd really recommend sticking with it through AS to A-level if you can. Sociology is also great for social psychology modules in psychology too. So I think you've made some really great choices there :biggrin: if you have any other questions please don't hesitate to get in touch :biggrin: Eleanor :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by Jtwl1338
Hello, I am an international student and have applied for BSc in Psychology and received a conditional offer from Birmingham among other unis i applied to. I was wondering if you could give me some insight into the course modules and how it is compared to modules from other universitites? Also, how is the quality of lecturers and the student life there? I really need to make a firm and insurance choice soon but I can't seem to decide between the universities i applied to. Also how is job prospect for psychology graduates? Thanks!

Hello Jtw, I just wrote a reply out for your message and posted it but suddenly my wifi went and the message disappeared. So i apologise if you suddenly receive two very similar messages from me. In terms of modules in Psychology, in your first two years you will cover the real core aspects of psychology. This will include models such as child development, cognitive psychology, research methods, social psychology, abnormal behaviour, mental health, forensics, perception, personality and brain and behaviour. So as you can see there is a real range of topics that you will study. In your third year you will do your dissertation and will choose your modules so that you can focus on a particular area of psychology that interest you in greater depth. :smile: In terms of the lecturers, they are all at the top of their league in psychology and are all incredibly enthusiastic and passionate about what they teach. they are also eager to engage their students and help them with anything they don't understand or are confused by.Student life at Birmingham is also really fantastic. Birmingham offers something for everyone so there is always a great choice of things you can do during the day and at night. There are also over 200 societies at Birmingham ranging from the conventional sports, film, baking, charity, religious, and cocktail societies, to your more unconventional such as the quidditch society, hide n' seek and humans vs. zombie society. There really is something for everyone to get involved with.With regards to job prospects for psychology graduates from Birmingham i think you will find this website useful: http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/psychology/psychology.aspx#EmployabilityTab . As Birmingham is a Russell group university as you can expect the employability prospects for psychology graduates are very good. I hope this all helps :biggrin: If you have anymore questions please don't hesitate to ask. Eleanor :smile:
Hi, would it be possible to see your personal statement? I can't believe they don't do an interview so you only have one chance to impress :frown: and I am also interested in studying psychology and have read that they do a year abroad so what does that entail? Thank u
hi, is every international student aware of the immigration health surcharge now required for applications made on and after April 6th? Isn't this a bit unfair considering previous international students did not need this in addition to applying for tier 4? wish they didn't make it so hard to even consider the UK to study in.
Any insight on this will be appreciated, thanks.
Reply 26
Original post by Supersonicc
Hi, would it be possible to see your personal statement? I can't believe they don't do an interview so you only have one chance to impress :frown: and I am also interested in studying psychology and have read that they do a year abroad so what does that entail? Thank u

Hello Supersonicc, I'm afraid I can't upload my personal statement for plagiarism reasons. I hope you understand. If you need any tips writing your personal statement I'm more thank happy to help. Regarding a year abroad, I think you will find this website quite useful http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/studyabroad/index.aspx . The year abroad scheme just gives you the opportunity to study in a different country for a year and to my knowledge doesn't have to be the course you're studying and doesn't count to towards your overall degree. It's a really great oppourtinuty to study in a different country and experience student life there :smile: Eleanor :biggrin:
Hey, I'm a 16 year old in year 11, living in Birmingham. I am currently doing my GCSE's and achieve to get 3 A*'s and 5 A's. My biggest dream is to read medicine at University of Birmingham. Yes, this might sound cheesy but I am working exceptionally hard to achieve it. Recently, I have been offered a conditional offer at the University of Birmingham School's Sixth Form and will be very happily attending it. My A level choices are the following: Chemistry, Biology, Geography and Physics and I will aim to achieve at least 2 A*'s and 2 A's. I have 2 close cousins who have just qualified as doctors and they have two degrees (Bio-medical sciences at Birmingham and their medical degrees from Poland). They didn't get into Birmingham as they didn't have the grades but I will do anything to get the best grades as its not just for me but for my family. My mum passed away when I was 18 months old and she didn't get to achieve her dreams and nor did my dad get to go to university therefore, this is for them. I don't live a normal or easy life and it has always revolved around achieving the best to make everybody proud. Now, most of the people on this thread attend UoB and my actual question was, (LOL, finally!!!) is it REALLY hard to get into UoB? And is there any other things I can do to secure a place there? I'm deputy head girl at school and will apply to be head girl at college. I do charity work and have a job at Boots which will I will start after my exams. Again it means a lot to me and thank you for reading all of this! x
Reply 28
Original post by humalohar
Hey, I'm a 16 year old in year 11, living in Birmingham. I am currently doing my GCSE's and achieve to get 3 A*'s and 5 A's. My biggest dream is to read medicine at University of Birmingham. Yes, this might sound cheesy but I am working exceptionally hard to achieve it. Recently, I have been offered a conditional offer at the University of Birmingham School's Sixth Form and will be very happily attending it. My A level choices are the following: Chemistry, Biology, Geography and Physics and I will aim to achieve at least 2 A*'s and 2 A's. I have 2 close cousins who have just qualified as doctors and they have two degrees (Bio-medical sciences at Birmingham and their medical degrees from Poland). They didn't get into Birmingham as they didn't have the grades but I will do anything to get the best grades as its not just for me but for my family. My mum passed away when I was 18 months old and she didn't get to achieve her dreams and nor did my dad get to go to university therefore, this is for them. I don't live a normal or easy life and it has always revolved around achieving the best to make everybody proud. Now, most of the people on this thread attend UoB and my actual question was, (LOL, finally!!!) is it REALLY hard to get into UoB? And is there any other things I can do to secure a place there? I'm deputy head girl at school and will apply to be head girl at college. I do charity work and have a job at Boots which will I will start after my exams. Again it means a lot to me and thank you for reading all of this! x

Hello Humalohar, I think it's fantastic how motivated and passionate you are about studying medicine. I can see you're working really hard to give yourself the best opportunity of getting into Birmingham. I don't do Medicine, however in my first year I lived with two medicine students. From talking to them I would recommend getting as much work experience as possible. It's also great that you're going to start working at Boots and that you do charity work. Medicine at Birmingham is very competitive, however you seem to have exactly the right attitude :smile: if you carry on with all your hard work I can tell you're going to go far :smile: if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask me :biggrin: Eleanor :smile:
Original post by Eleanor_94
Hello Humalohar, I think it's fantastic how motivated and passionate you are about studying medicine. I can see you're working really hard to give yourself the best opportunity of getting into Birmingham. I don't do Medicine, however in my first year I lived with two medicine students. From talking to them I would recommend getting as much work experience as possible. It's also great that you're going to start working at Boots and that you do charity work. Medicine at Birmingham is very competitive, however you seem to have exactly the right attitude :smile: if you carry on with all your hard work I can tell you're going to go far :smile: if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask me :biggrin: Eleanor :smile:

Awww, I feel like I'm going to cry! Thanks a lot for the answer and yeah, I fully intend to continue my attitude towards my education. Yes, I understand how important experience is but what kind of experience do you mean? And, I have really good interview skills, will that help? Thank you very much Eleanor (Great Name!!) x
Reply 30
Original post by humalohar
Awww, I feel like I'm going to cry! Thanks a lot for the answer and yeah, I fully intend to continue my attitude towards my education. Yes, I understand how important experience is but what kind of experience do you mean? And, I have really good interview skills, will that help? Thank you very much Eleanor (Great Name!!) x

Hello Humalohar, I'm glad to hear it :biggrin: experience in medical settings, such as volunteering in a hospital for example. Yes definetely, interviews are a big part of the allocation process for medicine so that will really help you :smile: aw thank you very much that's very sweet of you :smile: Eleanor :smile:
Original post by TomGidders
Well we have open days on June 26th and 27th, 12th September and 17th October :-)

Well my mum has just told me today that I can't go to any of the open days. She says there's no point in wasting money because all the universities I've considered (Newcastle, Birmingham, Manchester and Liverpool) are all good anyway and I can find out about them online, which does suck. The only ones I'm really considering are Birmingham and Manchester though, and I'm finding it hard to choose between them.
My next door neighbor was telling me that Birmingham is a great city yesterday, but one thing that is important is you always need to know exactly were your going because it's so big. You can't just hop on a bus like you can in Belfast and expect to end up near your desired destination; every journey must be planned out,
What are your thoughts on this?
Can any current student tell me about the law with business course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eleanor_94
Hello ThatIzziGirl, so sorry for the late reply I've been very busy with exams and revision :frown: its great to hear how passionate you are about psychology. :biggrin: At Birmingham unless the process will have changed by the time you apply there isn't an interview process. The allocation process of places to students consists of just the personal statement. The student life at Birmingham is fantastic, there's something for everyone to get involved in. As Birmingham university is so close to the city centre as well there's a great variety of things to do in the day and in the evening! I never did biology at A level and I think it's probably the best subject you can do (apart from Psychology) for a psychology degree. So I'd really recommend sticking with it through AS to A-level if you can. Sociology is also great for social psychology modules in psychology too. So I think you've made some really great choices there :biggrin: if you have any other questions please don't hesitate to get in touch :biggrin: Eleanor :smile:

No problem - I hope your exams go well. Thanks for your help. I didn't realise that the personal statement was such an important factor. That worries me a bit because I have no idea what I would put on a personal statement as I don't feel like I've really done a lot. Is it work experience that they're looking for? If so, how do you get work experience in psychology? Thanks.
Reply 34
Original post by ThatIzziGirl
No problem - I hope your exams go well. Thanks for your help. I didn't realise that the personal statement was such an important factor. That worries me a bit because I have no idea what I would put on a personal statement as I don't feel like I've really done a lot. Is it work experience that they're looking for? If so, how do you get work experience in psychology? Thanks.

Hello ThatIzziGirl, aw thank you very much! Don't worry I felt exactly the same, I had no idea what I could write about. The key is to relate what you've done to studying psychology at university. Work experience for psychology is tricky because confidentiality is a big factor which will limit what you can do. Work experience that I put on my personal statement included working in a school with a special educational needs department, so I worked with children with autism spectrum disorder and also children with behavioural difficulties. I also interviewed an educational psychologist and a mental health nurse. For my EPQ I looked at PTSD and for that I managed to interview a psychiatrist and talk about his experiences with treatin PTSD in war veterans. I also went on a psychology weekend at Nottingham Univeristy where I had lots of lectures on different aspects of psychology. One of the lecturers was a Behavioural Investigative Advisor which there are only 5 of in the UK. There job is in the field of Forensic psychology and they are highly respected individuals. I managed to talk to him at the end of the lecture and organised a phone interview with him which was really useful. I also entered a competition put on by Cambridge which I didn't win haha but it meant I did lots of reading on the topic and I talked about that in my personal statement too. So as you can see it's not just work experience it's also things you can relate to studying psychology. Some of my friends volunteered in a hospital in a dementia care ward which is also fantastic experience. I hope this has given you a few ideas. If I can help you with anything else, please don't hesitate to ask :biggrin: Eleanor :smile:
Original post by Shane Webb
Well my mum has just told me today that I can't go to any of the open days. She says there's no point in wasting money because all the universities I've considered (Newcastle, Birmingham, Manchester and Liverpool) are all good anyway and I can find out about them online, which does suck. The only ones I'm really considering are Birmingham and Manchester though, and I'm finding it hard to choose between them.
My next door neighbor was telling me that Birmingham is a great city yesterday, but one thing that is important is you always need to know exactly were your going because it's so big. You can't just hop on a bus like you can in Belfast and expect to end up near your desired destination; every journey must be planned out,
What are your thoughts on this?

Well I've grown up in Birmingham and don't find that a problem, and with a train station on campus I don't really take many buses - The trains are cheaper and faster! I suppose it's the same as being in any new city, it takes a while to get used to it. You can get loads of information online but you really can't replace a visit and tour of the university in person so I really recommend you do it! Even if it is just your favourites of Manchester and Birmingham. If you really can't go then I recommend ringing admissions departments and emailing lecturers about the course. What is it that you want to study?
Well I've grown up in Birmingham and don't find that a problem, and with a train station on campus I don't really take many buses - The trains are cheaper and faster! I suppose it's the same as being in any new city, it takes a while to get used to it. You can get loads of information online but you really can't replace a visit and tour of the university in person so I really recommend you do it! Even if it is just your favourites of Manchester and Birmingham. If you really can't go then I recommend ringing admissions departments and emailing lecturers about the course. What is it that you want to study?

Masters in Geology
Masters in Geology

Oh awesome, most of my housemates study Geology if you have questions?
Oh awesome, most of my housemates study Geology if you have questions?

Yeah actually that'd be a big help. Do any of them study the 4 year Masters though? I have some queries about admissions. I am predicted 4 A's in my AS levels but I am expecting 3 A's, but I want to know if i **** up one of those subjects and only end up with 2 A's would it be alright?
I know it sounds stupid. But my school is making everyone believe that people on a course that requires say 3 A's pretty much everyone on it exceeds 3 A's, a course requiring AAB will only really take people above that standard and ect. Other people have told me here it's stupid but I'm just doing research.
The course I want to do requires AAB for 2016 entry btw. And the Bsc's require ABB.
Thanks by the way mate, you've been a great help to me.
Yeah actually that'd be a big help. Do any of them study the 4 year Masters though? I have some queries about admissions. I am predicted 4 A's in my AS levels but I am expecting 3 A's, but I want to know if i **** up one of those subjects and only end up with 2 A's would it be alright?
I know it sounds stupid. But my school is making everyone believe that people on a course that requires say 3 A's pretty much everyone on it exceeds 3 A's, a course requiring AAB will only really take people above that standard and ect. Other people have told me here it's stupid but I'm just doing research.
The course I want to do requires AAB for 2016 entry btw. And the Bsc's require ABB.
Thanks by the way mate, you've been a great help to me.

Not a problem Shane! Well none of them are currently on the MSci but one of them is trying to convert to it, unfortunately for you that is obviously a different path and requires 65% over the first 2 years. With regards to admissions stuff changes every year, it depends on if courses are over or under subscribed. If you don't meet the entry grades obviously the university cannot guarantee you a place. When it comes to it there are some people that over-achieve the grades and these obviously get first priority. However by the time it comes to results day if you meet the offer they make you you have the place. It's quite a complex system...

Basically you apply. Then depending on how many applications they receive they send out offers with certain grades on (this is the AAB you've heard, that is the normal offer made). If you make those grades you should have a place unless there is a specific reason not to

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending