The Student Room Group

What is the point of life? (atheists only please)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NHM713
We are meant to be gardeners btw.

Good Thinking...
is the point of life not to avoid pain?

haha, sorry unless u are into sm ofcourse.
Reply 662
Original post by XRT56901214
Good Thinking...

If you give it some thought, right?
Original post by NHM713
If you give it some thought, right?

Yep, like yesterday or tomorrow...
There is no point. Our race is a biological accident evolved from some other biological accidents. We don't have a reason to exist. We just do.

...Wow okay now I realise why some religious people think us atheists are cynical.

I don't mean it like we shoudn't exist, we just don't really HAVE to exist; we choose to. Isn't that better than having some purpose you have to fulfil? Being here by choice?
Reply 665
Original post by XRT56901214
Yep, like yesterday or tomorrow...

Lol
we continue because we know no better and we also continue in the hope that one day in our lifetime a meaning will be found. if we really want to get deep the fact that life starts and end may be false under the assumption that start and end are human concepts.
To love your family and friends, to do good for other people and to experience everything you want to experience. Adding another generation to have those opportunities.
Original post by lazzarus
If you believe there is no god, then presumably you believe there is no heaven... what then is the point of life? If there is no moral reason to do or not do anything, and most desires are instincts to perpetuate this seemingly pointless phenomenon, why then do we bother?

It's better to exist and make most of what nature has given us rather than expect something better to be waiting for us after our death. Besides its all about good fun in this life imo but don't get me wrong to have a good life some effort is required to build it first.
Original post by NHM713
We are meant to be gardeners btw.

Come again bro? This is the first time I hear about intelligent spices
Reply 670
Original post by John Fluffy Bunny
Come again bro? This is the first time I hear about intelligent spices

Yep, Gardeners.
The truth is there is no point to life, our lives are but a blink of an eye in terms of time, in reality most people will be forgotten shortly after they die having made no lasting impact at all even great titans of history who are currently so memorable like Hitler or Lincoln, will eventually be consigned to no more than a foot note.

I believe you do what makes you happy and that is the only point of your life, as it is pointless to waste what little time we have.
Reply 672
Original post by The Country Lad
The truth is there is no point to life, our lives are but a blink of an eye in terms of time, in reality most people will be forgotten shortly after they die having made no lasting impact at all even great titans of history who are currently so memorable like Hitler or Lincoln, will eventually be consigned to no more than a foot note.

I believe you do what makes you happy and that is the only point of your life, as it is pointless to waste what little time we have.

Time is an illusion, the only real identifier of time is decay.

the is no meaning as far as we are aware, yet there is war, famine, religion, nationalism....all pretty pointless stuff we have invented, how silly we can be.
Reply 673
To me, life is about knowledge; knowledge of others, our surroundings and communication. People make my life what it is so my aim in life is to be able to understand them as far as I can by studying languages, history and the way we work as people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why does there need to be some grand 'point' or purpose to life? :confused:
Original post by NHM713
Time is an illusion, the only real identifier of time is decay.

the is no meaning as far as we are aware, yet there is war, famine, religion, nationalism....all pretty pointless stuff we have invented, how silly we can be.

Time is not illusion. It's reality. The past, the present, and the future do exist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
Why does there need to be some grand 'point' or purpose to life? :confused:

Why do you eat or drink? No reasons? No causes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not an athiest (but I used to be).

I would answer why does there need to be a point? You reproduce, you die. And that's that.

Doesn't mean you can't have fun while you're here though!
Original post by skunkboy
Why do you eat or drink? No reasons? No causes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because I get hungry or thirsty. Reason and causes =/= purpose or point

EDIT: Note that such everyday things do not reflect on the greater purpose or 'point' of life as a whole.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by battycatlady
Not an athiest (but I used to be).

I would answer why does there need to be a point? You reproduce, you die. And that's that.

Doesn't mean you can't have fun while you're here though!

Or you don't reproduce and you die. Really...the only thing in life that definitely happens is that it comes to an end.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending