The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1160
Got an email from Brasenose (where I interviewed) today saying that my open offer has now been changed to a standard Brasenose offer! So happy! Has this happened to anyone else???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yaz97
Got an email from Brasenose (where I interviewed) today saying that my open offer has now been changed to a standard Brasenose offer! So happy! Has this happened to anyone else???

Posted from TSR Mobile

What subject is this for?

Chances are someone who had that offer originally withdrew or rejected them so it was given to you now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congratulations! :smile:
Reply 1163
Original post by jonathanyyt
What subject is this for?

Chances are someone who had that offer originally withdrew or rejected them so it was given to you now

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I guessed that must be it, just wondered if anyone had experienced the same, it's for experimental psychology :smile:
Reply 1164
Original post by personage
Congratulations! :smile:

Thanks! (If that was directed at me) :biggrin:

It's a lovely surprise as I felt a bit lost before, not knowing which college I'd be at (some people with open offers might relate) so it's really nice to now have something concrete to look forward to. Anyone else with a Brasenose offer for EP or PPL?
Original post by Yaz97

It's a lovely surprise as I felt a bit lost before, not knowing which college I'd be at (some people with open offers might relate) so it's really nice to now have something concrete to look forward to. Anyone else with a Brasenose offer for EP or PPL?

I got an offer for PPL (psych and philosophy) but not at Brasenose, grats for your offer also! :smile:
Reply 1166
Original post by Dalliance
I got an offer for PPL (psych and philosophy) but not at Brasenose, grats for your offer also! :smile:

Ooh well done, which college? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yaz97
Ooh well done, which college? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Christ Church (applied and stayed at Queen's, but got an extra lucky interview at ChCh!). Are you doing PPL as well?
Reply 1168
Original post by Dalliance
Christ Church (applied and stayed at Queen's, but got an extra lucky interview at ChCh!). Are you doing PPL as well?

Wow, well done, I've heard Christ Church is lovely so I'm sure you'll still love it! I'm doing EP; I did look into psych with linguistics but there's no way I'd have passed the exam, and I can take a linguistics module in EP anyway, so didn't see the point in risking it!
Original post by twelfthnight
History at Merton! :smile:

Original post by nich01as
PPE at NEW :smile:

Original post by FortunateKing
PPE at Pembroke - super-excited

Original post by kokopi
Anyone PPE at Johns? Finding the other ~6 people before orientation is going to be so hard...

Original post by GailQ
Got an offer to read PPE at St Anne's, still in shock :smile:

Original post by aasvogel
I have an Open Offer for PPE! So pleased to be able to post in this thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by mnina19
Unconditional offer from St Catherine's for History - if anyone is at Catz or doing History, let's chat! Does anyone know if there will be a Catz Facebook group or anything where we can talk? Or will there be a general Oxford offer holders FB group?

Original post by the1akshay
So here I am feeling like I'm in the wrong thread... PPE at Corpus :-D

Hey so I'm a current Self-taught AS Level student and I'd like to apply to Oxford this Autumn for PPE. One of my A- level subject is History and I was wondering if any if you any of you could give me some advice relevant to this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3293059&

I hope you don't mind me asking this, I'm self-taught and have been since my GCSE's so I could really use the help! :smile:
Original post by Yaz97

Congrats! I got an offer for EP from Univ. I'm really worried about getting the grades though...
Reply 1171
Original post by Luk196
Congrats! I got an offer for EP from Univ. I'm really worried about getting the grades though...

Congrats to you too! Was Univ your first choice? I've been starting to worry recently too - I'm pretty confident that I can manage 3 As but it's the A* that concerns me :erm: what subjects are you doing? I'm doing psych, biology and Spanish :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yaz97
Congrats to you too! Was Univ your first choice? I've been starting to worry recently too - I'm pretty confident that I can manage 3 As but it's the A* that concerns me :erm: what subjects are you doing? I'm doing psych, biology and Spanish :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied to New college but I'm really happy with Univ, I'm doing biology, physics and maths. I have no idea where I'm going to get that A* from!
Reply 1173
Original post by Luk196
I applied to New college but I'm really happy with Univ, I'm doing biology, physics and maths. I have no idea where I'm going to get that A* from!

Univ does have a lovely atmosphere from what I've seen :smile: so what made you choose psychology as a degree? I'm guessing they don't offer it at your school/college? And omg the data question in biology is ruining my life... but I'm guessing it's fine for you, being a mathematician? :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yaz97
Univ does have a lovely atmosphere from what I've seen :smile: so what made you choose psychology as a degree? I'm guessing they don't offer it at your school/college? And omg the data question in biology is ruining my life... but I'm guessing it's fine for you, being a mathematician? :':wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My parents gave me books about it over the years and I just got really into it. Did you enjoy doing it for a level? My friend said there are so many case studies. They don't offer it here but they were really helpful for interview prep. What board are you doing for bio? In ocr biology there are hardly any maths questions. :tongue:
Reply 1175
Original post by Luk196
My parents gave me books about it over the years and I just got really into it. Did you enjoy doing it for a level? My friend said there are so many case studies. They don't offer it here but they were really helpful for interview prep. What board are you doing for bio? In ocr biology there are hardly any maths questions. :tongue:

It must be disappointing to have had to wait so long to study it properly! I enjoy some parts much more than others, but the reading around is the most fun bit, so I figure uni is where it'll get really interesting. The studies aren't bad at A level, you don't need much detail and some are recycled from GCSE. If you want to get a head start you could probably have a look at A level revision resources online? I'm on AQA, it's not so much maths as handling data but it's a difficult question! I've heard OCR ISAs are harder though so I guess it must even out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm guessing some if not all of you guys got the email from Oxford student funding about the Lloyds Scholars Programme? I'm hesitant about applying despite all the financial support they provide. It seems as though you get a lot of financial help but you need to do 100 hours of volunteering as well as at least one internship over the summer in your penultimate (my 3rd) year at uni. This means I could potentially miss out on other work placements and such closer to my subject area (CompSci) unless I drop out and deal with whatever happens to bursaries that have already been granted.

My main question is are there loads of opportunities for internships and financial aid from other firms I should be aware of before jumping into this too quickly? I'd hate to sign up and find out Microsoft have shown up looking for interns or something. I think I heard something about Freshers week being a time where firms might come and try to attract students? Help would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by Rifleboy123
I'm guessing some if not all of you guys got the email from Oxford student funding about the Lloyds Scholars Programme? I'm hesitant about applying despite all the financial support they provide. It seems as though you get a lot of financial help but you need to do 100 hours of volunteering as well as at least one internship over the summer in your penultimate (my 3rd) year at uni. This means I could potentially miss out on other work placements and such closer to my subject area (CompSci) unless I drop out and deal with whatever happens to bursaries that have already been granted.

My main question is are there loads of opportunities for internships and financial aid from other firms I should be aware of before jumping into this too quickly? I'd hate to sign up and find out Microsoft have shown up looking for interns or something. I think I heard something about Freshers week being a time where firms might come and try to attract students? Help would be greatly appreciated.

What, you have to do an internship with Lloyds in the summer of your third year? If so, I'd probably avoid it. There are opportunities for internships, not so much financial aid (other than the opportunity bursary) and not many firms will pay a bursary every year (there used to be such a bursary programme at Oxford funded by different companies, I think it closed the year after my intake). I don't think Freshers' fair involves companies trying to recruit, but there are plenty of events like this throughout the year at Oxford.
Original post by Noble.
What, you have to do an internship with Lloyds in the summer of your third year? If so, I'd probably avoid it. There are opportunities for internships, not so much financial aid (other than the opportunity bursary) and not many firms will pay a bursary every year (there used to be such a bursary programme at Oxford funded by different companies, I think it closed the year after my intake). I don't think Freshers' fair involves companies trying to recruit, but there are plenty of events like this throughout the year at Oxford.

Yeah, it appears they offer you two internships, one of which is compulsory in your third year. I feel weird turning down any opportunities to increase the financial support I'm being given (since I need as much as I can get) but I don't think I wanna be shackled to Lloyds and make a promise that I might regret 3 years down the line.

Further details for anyone are all over the website: https://www.lloyds-scholars.com/about

Thanks a lot for your help :smile:
Original post by Rifleboy123
Yeah, it appears they offer you two internships, one of which is compulsory in your third year. I feel weird turning down any opportunities to increase the financial support I'm being given (since I need as much as I can get) but I don't think I wanna be shackled to Lloyds and make a promise that I might regret 3 years down the line.

Further details for anyone are all over the website: https://www.lloyds-scholars.com/about

Thanks a lot for your help :smile:

lol summer internship £18k pro-rata - you'd make more money in one summer interning at a proper bank than you would over 4 years of that Lloyds programme.

Latest

Trending

Trending