The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE History B - Crime and Punishment - Mon 1st June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamestg
Honestly, no. There isn't much point speculating what the questions could be for this paper.

Fingers crossed there's something to do with forest laws, conscientious objection, capital punishment, vagabonds. I'm doubting there will be witchcraft in this paper though.

How come you don't think witchcraft will be there?
Reply 41
Original post by Jakobus2012
How come you don't think witchcraft will be there?

It seems almost too obvious that it will come up, if it does I can safely say it won't be the 16 marker.
Original post by jamestg
Oh, that's not good.

My advice would be to look at this website page - it contains everything you need to know for the exam!

Reply 43
Original post by longlivecupoftea

No problem! Hope it helps and good luck for Monday!
Sorry, \I have some more questions!
In the industrial revolution, how did the punishment of women change?
Did prisons change more in the 19th or 20th century?
I was thinking the first question could be to do with Fry's impact. For the second one I thought the 20th century because hard labour was abolished??
Original post by longlivecupoftea
Sorry, \I have some more questions!
In the industrial revolution, how did the punishment of women change?
Did prisons change more in the 19th or 20th century?
I was thinking the first question could be to do with Fry's impact. For the second one I thought the 20th century because hard labour was abolished??

I would say, for the second question, that prisons changed more in the 19th century. New prision were built, like Milbank Prison in 1819 based on the ideas of George Paul, a prison reformer. Plus, Elizabeth Fry worked towards improving conditions at Newgate etc in the early 19th century.
In 1823, the Gaols Act was passe.
The sperate and silent systems were also introduced in this century.

In contrast, you could talk about how in the 20th century, executions were moved into prisons in some places, and then how life-sentances replaced capital punishment so new high-level security prisons were built.
Don't forget to write a conclusion stating which century you chose and why and keep linking back to the question

Hope that helped 😄
Does anyone have any really hard exam questions that might come up for this exam?
You need to memorise dates. I've tried to memorise 1 side of A4 so far and it works.
Original post by Alan-K
You need to memorise dates. I've tried to memorise 1 side of A4 so far and it works.

Could you possibly post a picture of the dates you learnt? I need to cram some dates in, but I don't know which ones! :smile:
Original post by Alan-K

Original post by llamagirl
Could you possibly post a picture of the dates you learnt? I need to cram some dates in, but I don't know which ones! :smile:

I would also find this extremely helpful if you could do it! :smile:
I did a past question and really didn't know how to answer it:

To what extent did royal control over law enforcement increase during the period from the Norman Conquest to the end of the Tudor period? (16)

Any ideas?? Thanks :smile:
I was wondering if anyone can go through the exam structure for me as I am a bit confused on how the paper works.
How long do you recommend I spend on each question and how much shall I roughly write?

Also in which questions do I need and conclusion and need to state the origin, purpose etc

Thank you :smile:
has anyone got a list of the most important dates to know? and tips on learning them? I think I know most of the content but struggle to link it together in chronological order
Reply 53
What dates do I need to remember? and also does anyone have any ideas on how to answer question 4/5 of the exam?(the 12 mark one) Thanks :smile:
Original post by lampalert
I was wondering if anyone can go through the exam structure for me as I am a bit confused on how the paper works.
How long do you recommend I spend on each question and how much shall I roughly write?

Also in which questions do I need and conclusion and need to state the origin, purpose etc

Thank you :smile:

This year, the course has changed, so on tomorrow's paper we will have two 8 markers, a 6 marker, a 12 marker and a 16 marker which also has 3 additional marks available for SPaG. This still adds up to 50 marks in total. (+ the 3 for SPaG!)

How long you spend on a question depends on how much you write. Let the booklet guide you - they'll give you enough space to write a long enough answer! Try to spend the longest on the 16 marker though, because this is worth the extra marks for your spelling. Make sure you check it through at the end.

You'll need a conclusion in the 12 and 16 mark questions, but they wouldn't go amiss in the 8 markers either; it just depends on how you are doing for time.

Hope that helped! Good luck!! :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by vivalastudent
I did a past question and really didn't know how to answer it:

To what extent did royal control over law enforcement increase during the period from the Norman Conquest to the end of the Tudor period? (16)

Any ideas?? Thanks :smile:

That's a really nasty question...

Look at role of the king on law enforcement between the Norman and Tudor period, and simply describe the changes they made an how much overall it changed. What changed and what stayed the same? Topics to talk about are Forest Laws, English Common Law and types of courts.
****ty Saxons and ****************************** Norman ************** **** Tudors.

I hate Crime and Punishment why did my school have to choose it? Medicine Through Time is x10 better.
Does anyone have and predictions?
I hope its easy and the grade boundaries should be low because its the "new" crime an punishment which no1 has done before
Original post by Alan-K
****ty Saxons and ****************************** Norman ************** **** Tudors.

I hate Crime and Punishment why did my school have to choose it? Medicine
Through Time is x10 better.

Yh i hate crime and punishment, theres no order to it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending