The Student Room Group

Rejected from Vet Med?

If you have been rejected this year, why do you think this happened?

I'm applying for entry for 2014, and understand it can take a few tries to get in and I'm trying to find out more about the procedures :smile: Thanks for any help.
(edited 11 years ago)
Well for a start what predicted grades did you get?
How much work experience have you done?
Where did you apply?
Have you emailed the university to ask why you have been rejected?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by The Country Lad
Well for a start what predicted grades did you get?
How much work experience have you done?
Where did you apply?
Have you emailed the university to ask why you have been rejected?

I think you misread my post, I have not been rejected, I am applying for 2014 entry, I should have made that clearer :smile:

I am asking others why they think they may have not gained a place in order to further my knowledge in this area as I've only recently started looking into this subject.
Reply 3
Heya, I was a first time applicant this year and unfortunately got rejected from all four of my veterinary medicine applications which were at Nottingham, Edinburgh, RVC and Liverpool. I've since emailed the unis and asked for feedback, and while I've had no reply from RVC or Liverpool yet, Nottingham and Edinburgh both told me my application was good apart from my AS grades, for which I got three B's and much to my horror an E in physics which really let my application down. So, I'm now going to reapply next year, hopefully with three A's at A2, and a load more work experience behind me to really strengthen my application :smile: I think this was the biggest flaw for me, but it's not yet the end and hopefully next year will be my year! Good luck for your application next year, and really make your AS year count, it makes all the difference :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Pie1213
Heya, I was a first time applicant this year and unfortunately got rejected from all four of my veterinary medicine applications which were at Nottingham, Edinburgh, RVC and Liverpool. I've since emailed the unis and asked for feedback, and while I've had no reply from RVC or Liverpool yet, Nottingham and Edinburgh both told me my application was good apart from my AS grades, for which I got three B's and much to my horror an E in physics which really let my application down. So, I'm now going to reapply next year, hopefully with three A's at A2, and a load more work experience behind me to really strengthen my application :smile: I think this was the biggest flaw for me, but it's not yet the end and hopefully next year will be my year! Good luck for your application next year, and really make your AS year count, it makes all the difference :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your reply! What kind of work experience did you have if you don't mind me asking?

I'm a mature student on an Access to Medicine course and have been in touch with the unis to make sure the course is good enough, and so far so good! RVC replied saying they value it equal to A-Levels :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by amyrose1991
Thanks for your reply! What kind of work experience did you have if you don't mind me asking?

I'm a mature student on an Access to Medicine course and have been in touch with the unis to make sure the course is good enough, and so far so good! RVC replied saying they value it equal to A-Levels :smile:

I don't mind at all! I've had three weeks at three different vet surgeries, one week at a stables, one year ongoing placement at a dairy farm, one year ongoing placement at a small animal rescue sanctuary and one week lambing :smile:

I wish you all the best, if you'd like to ask any questions feel free to pm me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why are you not asking "what makes a good applicant for vet med for those with offers?" ? Your question is not simply the opposite and will not yield as much information about what you can do to improve your application; you shouldn't merely be looking at things to avoid.
Reply 7
Original post by SilverstarDJ
Why are you not asking "what makes a good applicant for vet med for those with offers?" ? Your question is not simply the opposite and will not yield as much information about what you can do to improve your application; you shouldn't merely be looking at things to avoid.

There are several topics with that kind of question, and as there are a lot of competitive candidates I know the standard required for gaining a place, but I do not know what it is that separates the successful and unsuccessful candidates as I've never spoken to anyone who has been rejected before, and I'm sure there are also a lot of strong, unsuccessful candidates.
Original post by amyrose1991
There are several topics with that kind of question, and as there are a lot of competitive candidates I know the standard required for gaining a place, but I do not know what it is that separates the successful and unsuccessful candidates as I've never spoken to anyone who has been rejected before, and I'm sure there are also a lot of strong, unsuccessful candidates.

The reality is many good candidates don't get a place because the competition is so high and just too few places, which is why I think you're looking at the question from a slightly wrong angle because it is difficult to see a fine line between those who are unsuccessful and those who are! Different unis will have different criteria and will be looking for different things too - e.g. why did Liverpool think I was a brilliant candidate whilst others didn't and I got rejected from those post interview? (I had over 20 weeks work experience and good grade predictions of A*s). The final point I will make to you is that you must be dedicated, determined and committed to wanting to be a vet, and make you application the best possible you can.

To make yourself a good student your need to:

* Get AAA or higher predictions from your teachers. Beg them to up your grades if you fall below this. Get those grades at A2 as well
* Get lots of work experience in terms of quantity and variety. Aim for Liverpools minimum even if not applying there - see their website - as if you meet theirs you will meet eveyone's. For a first time applicant aim for 10+ weeks, and 15+ if you intend to apply to Liverpool who has the highest requirement. get the staples first: small vets & large vets, stables/stud, farm including lambing and dairy, cats/dog rescue/or boarding before doing anything exotic like zoos or labs. See the work experience guide for details (sticky thread)
* A few extracurriculars are good to add into your PS. This doesn't have to be anything fancy. Could be anything from DofE to a musical instrument, to some project you did.
* Be aware of ethical issues and topical issues (e.g. lameness in cattle, SBV, transport of live animals, bTB and its control, horse meat in the supermarkets, meat hygiene if you've been too a slaughterhouse etc. ). Read the news & Farmer's guardian, DEFRA for more info.
* Be able to talk about yourself confidently, including reasons for choosing to be a vet (I love animals & science, although true, won't quite cut it!), reasons for choosing the vet school in question, and to be able to analyse data critically, and discuss welfare issues from all points of view and talk about your work experiences and extra-curriculars
* Prepare for the BMAT before taking it if applying to those vet schools who need it

That's probably all that makes a good vet applicant. Hope that helps.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
I applied for the first time in October and have just received 4 rejections pre-interview. Main reasons for this:

Cambridge - GCSEs (7A*, 3A, B) and AS modular results (AAAA - all 85-90%) not high enough. Don't let this scare you or anything - remember Cambridge is mainly looking for applicants with the absolute top grades above anything else, and the other unis wont be as picky with academics - AAA at A2 is definitely good enough.
- also for cam, my BMAT wasn't high enough - they have quite a high cut off point for the BMAT, anyone below this is (usually) immediately rejected

RVC - BMAT not quite good enough, think I was only about 0.2 off their cut off point, they also said the rest of my application was good enough for interview, so def. my BMAT

Notts - not really sure, their feedback was along the lines of "we cannot give specific feedback so it may be weaknesses in work ex. variety and amount, work ex. and school references, PS, extra-curricular" etc etc - not very helpful!

Liverpool - work experience not enough variety or no. weeks compared to other applicant (they interview starting with people with most work ex. until they run out of interview slots)
Work ex wise I had:
4 weeks SA vets
5 weeks ongoing livery yard
1 week lambing
1 week mixed farm
1 day dairy
3 days beef
2 weeks wildlife rescue centre

Hope all of this helps! Obviously people get rejected after interview as well for different reason, haven't had that experience yet though!! :frown:

I am re-applying for 2014 entry, so hopefully see you around sometime :biggrin:

Gwen xx
Reply 10
Getting into Vet School first time round is very, very hard. Most successful candidates will have between 7-10 A*s at GSCE, and no less than an A grade in 1-3 subjects. Maths, English and Science must be at A* in particular. At AS level you do need 4As, anything less and you WILL get rejected. You also need to ensure your predicted A level grades are at A*AA at the very least, but ideally A*A*A* to be on the safe side; anything less and you WILL be rejected. Work experience and extra curricular activities also are very important in the selection process. If you have relatives already working in the profession, mention this on your application and at interview, and this could give you an edge. The BMAT score, where required, must also be met.

If you do get at least AAA in good subjects at A level, and still get rejected, all is not lost. Apply the following year, and use the year gaining more work experience at Vets, farms and animal rescue centres. A few weeks volunteering for a vet in a developing country such as South Africa or India where you see wildlife veterinary medicine in practice could also make your application stand out more. If you were educated at a weak comprehensive school where there is little history in students getting into competitive courses, this will definitely count in your favour second time round.

If you get AAB or lower then the chances are you will never be offered a place at Vet School, and if you do still get an interview you will need some exceptional reasons for failing to meet the grades. The only thing that could save you in this instance is, as mentioned earlier, that you were educated in a low achieving school from a deprived area. There is the option of doing the course in another country where entrance requirements might be relaxed, but you will need to fork a lot of money upfront to afford doing the course over 5 years.
Original post by Mansun
Getting into Vet School first time round is very, very hard. Most successful candidates will have between 7-10 A*s at GSCE, and no less than an A grade in 1-3 subjects. Maths, English and Science must be at A* in particular. At AS level you do need 4As, anything less and you WILL get rejected. You also need to ensure your predicted A level grades are at A*AA at the very least, but ideally A*A*A* to be on the safe side; anything less and you WILL be rejected. Work experience and extra curricular activities also are very important in the selection process. If you have relatives already working in the profession, mention this on your application and at interview, and this could give you an edge. The BMAT score, where required, must also be met.

If you do get at least AAA in good subjects at A level, and still get rejected, all is not lost. Apply the following year, and use the year gaining more work experience at Vets, farms and animal rescue centres. A few weeks volunteering for a vet in a developing country such as South Africa or India where you see wildlife veterinary medicine in practice could also make your application stand out more. If you were educated at a weak comprehensive school where there is little history in students getting into competitive courses, this will definitely count in your favour second time round.

If you get AAB or lower then the chances are you will never be offered a place at Vet School, and if you do still get an interview you will need some exceptional reasons for failing to meet the grades. The only thing that could save you in this instance is, as mentioned earlier, that you were educated in a low achieving school from a deprived area. There is the option of doing the course in another country where entrance requirements might be relaxed, but you will need to fork a lot of money upfront to afford doing the course over 5 years.

Please don't bump old posts - this was posted a year ago! :wink:
My daughter got 4 as in gcse and 2 B's in her as year she got b in biology c in chemistry c I. Psychology and d in maths she dropped maths she's predicted BBC I. A2 year to be honest she didn't study enough in her As year but I find it best not to interfere as she gets very stressy and accuses you of wanting her never to go out she has been studying more these last 2 months exams next week she only wants to apply to nottingham but she has a slight disability with her doment hand so she has a extra 25% for exams she says she's not telling the uni about this to be honest I'm worried as hell about it if she do get AAB what are her chances of getting in with 4 as from school
Original post by Jack russell
My daughter got 4 as in gcse and 2 B's in her as year she got b in biology c in chemistry c I. Psychology and d in maths she dropped maths she's predicted BBC I. A2 year to be honest she didn't study enough in her As year but I find it best not to interfere as she gets very stressy and accuses you of wanting her never to go out she has been studying more these last 2 months exams next week she only wants to apply to nottingham but she has a slight disability with her doment hand so she has a extra 25% for exams she says she's not telling the uni about this to be honest I'm worried as hell about it if she do get AAB what are her chances of getting in with 4 as from school

Please don't bump old threads and make a new one :smile:

In response to your question, your daughter needs to meet minimum grade requirements to get into vet school which are on Nottigham's web page - they are asking for 5 As at GCSE. I would therefore consider contacting the uni to ask if they would consider her because if they won't it'll be a waste of an application or she may need to redo a GCSE to get another A. She will also need A LOT of work experience too (above the minimum) and by only applying to one vet school her chances are more limited. Realistically speaking it will be difficult for her to improve her grades from AS to A2 level as A2s are much more difficult, although certainly it is not impossible with a lot of hard work!
Hi everyone :smile:
I applied for 2015 entry, with 4 As at AS and A*AAA predictions and 16 weeks work experience in dairy, equine vets, stables, small animal vets, lambing and veterinary laboratories to the following;

Cambridge - first rejection. I knew I had neither the extra curricular stuff nor the UMS in my exams, but I fell in love with the city and was "encouraged" by school to apply. I applied to Newnham College and asked for feedback, and as I had guessed, it was my UMS.

Nottingham - I gained an interview but was rejected post interview, therefore cannot reapply there again. They provide no feedback.

Edinburgh - gained an interview here also. I sensed a couple of stations went badly and they provided me with very helpful feedback. I was not able to "think On my feet as well as other candidates" and they said I hadn't picked up enough from my work experience.

Liverpool - I got rejected before interview. I still don't know why, as I know people who got interviewed and made offers with less experience than myself and lower grades.

Please do not get disheartened. A second application is not the end of the world and a gap year is a year in which you can do anything at all, which you will never get the chance to do until you retire. Make the most of it :smile:
I'm happy to help if anyone applying for the first time needs any help or has any questions. :smile:
Original post by eceidil13

Liverpool - I got rejected before interview. I still don't know why, as I know people who got interviewed and made offers with less experience than myself and lower grades.

It's not just about the number but variety too which is what might have let you down.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending