The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Geography B Unit 3 - Making Geographical Decisions

Discuss and ask questions here, though there isn't too much to say about Unit 3.

Scroll to see replies

What do you think it will be about?
Predictions?
Original post by OliverRiches
What do you think it will be about?
Predictions?

It's difficult to predict questions because Unit 3 is based on information given to you on the day. I know it sounds ridiculous but I think the best way to revise for Unit 3 is to go over Units 1 and 2 again. You'll have to apply a lot of knowledge in the questions.

I haven't found any specific revision material but if I do, I'll put them on this thread.
Original post by BasicMistake
It's difficult to predict questions because Unit 3 is based on information given to you on the day. I know it sounds ridiculous but I think the best way to revise for Unit 3 is to go over Units 1 and 2 again. You'll have to apply a lot of knowledge in the questions.

I haven't found any specific revision material but if I do, I'll put them on this thread.

Awesome, is going through past papers effective? is it mainly the same based questions asked?
Awesome, is going through past papers effective? is it mainly the same based questions asked?

The first few questions are information retrieval; so like the 4 mark questions at the start of each topic in Units 1 and 2. These type of questions will normally come up.
The first few questions are information retrieval; so like the 4 mark questions at the start of each topic in Units 1 and 2. These type of questions will normally come up.

What are the main topics that it could possibly be?
Sustainability, development etc..
What are the main topics that it could possibly be?
Sustainability, development etc..

The unit is supposedly based on one or more of the following 6 ideas:

1. Sustainability is important
2. Sustainability has become a greater issue since the '90s
3. Finite resource consumption can lead to conflict
4. Balancing economy with conservation is difficult
5. Sustainability requires money, leadership and management
6. Physical processes put people at risk

As you can see they are irritatingly vague and are difficult to draw predictions from; however, you can apply these concepts to topics you've learnt in Units 1 and 2.
For example, 4 is obviously linked to Battle for the Biosphere, 3 refers to Consuming Resources and 6 can be linked to Restless Earth.
I'm so nervous for this unit 3 exam, I did very good in unit 1 (Dynamic Planet), I lost more than 20 marks in unit 2 (people and the planet) and therefore I hope that the unit 3 will be easy cause im desperate to get an A
Reply 8
best way to revise for DME? sure as hell don't have time or willpower to go over every single geography topic again.
Does anyone have some good advice in terms of exam technique on how to do the last q
Reply 10
Can someone please tell me the structure for each of the questions and what mark questions come up on unit 3?
Reply 11
Hey guys, Is there really no other way to revise for it other than going through unit 1 and 2, also when you say that does that mean we have to memorize the case studies in the 2 units aswell?
Reply 12
Original post by ireallywantana
Does anyone have some good advice in terms of exam technique on how to do the last q

I don't know if this will help, you but this is how we are taught to do it:
- Make your choice
- State why it is the best choice, and do this by giving 3 positive PEE (Point, evidence, explain) paragraphs using evidence from the booklet and from unit 1 ans 2 (you are expected to remember some of that!!). Obviously if it only asks for social and economic, don't talk about environmental, just give another PEE paragraph on one of the other two
- Then give two negatives about your option, do this by writing two PEE paragraphs, the negatives could be social, economic or environmental, it doesn't matter
- And finally, go to each of the other options and give a PEE paragraph on each stating why you haven't chosen that one - reject them

I hope this helps, I know it is alot to remember, but once you've broken it down, it's not too bad
Reply 13
Discuss and ask questions here, though there isn't too much to say about Unit 3.

Guess there isn't but I think its pretty easy and is good when you don't have time to revise cos of all the other subjects
Reply 14
Original post by Lydia24
I don't know if this will help, you but this is how we are taught to do it:
- Make your choice
- State why it is the best choice, and do this by giving 3 positive PEE (Point, evidence, explain) paragraphs using evidence from the booklet and from unit 1 ans 2 (you are expected to remember some of that!!). Obviously if it only asks for social and economic, don't talk about environmental, just give another PEE paragraph on one of the other two
- Then give two negatives about your option, do this by writing two PEE paragraphs, the negatives could be social, economic or environmental, it doesn't matter
- And finally, go to each of the other options and give a PEE paragraph on each stating why you haven't chosen that one - reject them

I hope this helps, I know it is alot to remember, but once you've broken it down, it's not too bad

I use this structure as well, but also end it by talking about the benefits of the option globally as well as for the country or area :smile:
How would I answer the questions?
So would i put some information that I have read from the booklet and then put in some of the context that we have learnt in the other units?
Original post by HoulstonSean
How would I answer the questions?
So would i put some information that I have read from the booklet and then put in some of the context that we have learnt in the other units?

Section A is just taking information from the booklet and transferring to your answer.
Section B and C involves your own knowledge with links between Unit 1 and 2.
Thanks A Lot !!!
Hi guys could someone please link me to the 2014 Decisions paper. And anyone got any tips for revision? Good luck for anyone also sitting the exam :smile:
Discuss and ask questions here, thought there isn't too much to say about Unit 3.

Any tips for the 12 mark question?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending