The Student Room Group

History students chat & discussion thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beckymayjones
Yeah, I've just been planning out and learning essay plans frantically all week. I do like that one, as I think it's a nice one to do in terms of time periods. I really want a management question to come up and something on the economy!

Timing is quite tight, I've been timing myself yes, and I can just about fit it in. I've not done a full 2 hour stint though. What about you?

Oh god, not the bloody economy :tongue:
Although i agree about the management question

Ive also found timing quite tight- but ive kept exam practice quite light this week, cause i get easily bored with this subject. I know if i overdo it then it might have a negative impact on my productivity in the exam. Ive done a 2 hour exam a few times, and they werent too bad. Ive found that its really important to spend about 5 minutes max planning just to really get your argument together.
Yeah that's what I'm going to do, my Napoleon exam last year was exactly the same format. I normally go in and literally spend my first 10 mins planning both essays so I've got clear in my head each one (because I tend to start thinking about the other one whilst writing my first) and that's always worked well for me
Original post by Emily.97
Oh god, not the bloody economy :tongue:
Although i agree about the management question

Ive also found timing quite tight- but ive kept exam practice quite light this week, cause i get easily bored with this subject. I know if i overdo it then it might have a negative impact on my productivity in the exam. Ive done a 2 hour exam a few times, and they werent too bad. Ive found that its really important to spend about 5 minutes max planning just to really get your argument together.

Also, how would you structure popular appeal? Just by two time periods pre-1871 and post-1871?
Yeah that's what I'm going to do, my Napoleon exam last year was exactly the same format. I normally go in and literally spend my first 10 mins planning both essays so I've got clear in my head each one (because I tend to start thinking about the other one whilst writing my first) and that's always worked well for me

Oh wow okay. I did consider planning that way but i feel that it would distract me too much when answering one question.
Thats great that youve found a method that works for you!
Also, how would you structure popular appeal? Just by two time periods pre-1871 and post-1871?

I would do it chronologically and structure it in terms of when the popularity of Nationalism had developed or diminished etc. So nationalism, for example, wasnt popular at the beginning of the 19th century, but became more and more popular in the lead up to the 1848 riots. I would split those two points in to two paragraphs. Does that make sense?
I would do it chronologically and structure it in terms of when the popularity of Nationalism had developed or diminished etc. So nationalism, for example, wasnt popular at the beginning of the 19th century, but became more and more popular in the lead up to the 1848 riots. I would split those two points in to two paragraphs. Does that make sense?

How did you find it?
How did you find it?

Did you get my visitor message?

I thought it was okay. I was quite nervous to begin with but gradually got in to it. Hated the second question so went for the other two. I was kinda rushing at the end of the second question :L. Question about the economy wasnt ideal but i wasnt tongue tied, so thats the main thing.

How about you??
Did you get my visitor message?

I thought it was okay. I was quite nervous to begin with but gradually got in to it. Hated the second question so went for the other two. I was kinda rushing at the end of the second question :L. Question about the economy wasnt ideal but i wasnt tongue tied, so thats the main thing.

How about you??

Yeah I did, I replied :-)

So was I, I was shaking so much, I get way too worked up about History! Ah okay, so you did the War and Economics question? How did you structure the War one, my friend was worried she'd messed up?! I did the Management and Economy question. Yeah, at least you knew what to write in the case that it came up, just so glad its over now! 2 more to go!
Yeah I did, I replied :-)

So was I, I was shaking so much, I get way too worked up about History! Ah okay, so you did the War and Economics question? How did you structure the War one, my friend was worried she'd messed up?! I did the Management and Economy question. Yeah, at least you knew what to write in the case that it came up, just so glad its over now! 2 more to go!

Oh, bless you!
Yeah, I did do those two- questions 1 and 3.
I just spoke about the wars in chronological order in separate paragraphs (eg War of Liberation, then Austro-Prussian war) - why does she think she's messed up?

Oh okay,what did you say for the management one? For that I felt that, for example, I don't know whether Metternich would count as a leader or a minister, so I didn't wanna get caught up in it.
Woo! I have 3 more to go. Next one tomorrow..eek!
Oh, bless you!
Yeah, I did do those two- questions 1 and 3.
I just spoke about the wars in chronological order in separate paragraphs (eg War of Liberation, then Austro-Prussian war) - why does she think she's messed up?

Oh okay,what did you say for the management one? For that I felt that, for example, I don't know whether Metternich would count as a leader or a minister, so I didn't wanna get caught up in it.
Woo! I have 3 more to go. Next one tomorrow..eek!

She was worried because she didn't do it in thematic paragraphs, but I shall tell her she has nothing to worry about!

For management I basically compared Metternich and Bismarck to Wilhelm II (and for Bismarck, Wilhelm I). Thought it was quite a nice one, although it did confuse me at first.
Reply 30
She was worried because she didn't do it in thematic paragraphs, but I shall tell her she has nothing to worry about!

For management I basically compared Metternich and Bismarck to Wilhelm II (and for Bismarck, Wilhelm I). Thought it was quite a nice one, although it did confuse me at first.

I did this exam. For the management question I skipped out Napoleon. Do you reckon you can lose marks for this?

Ah, okay.
If it had asked something likd 'Bismark was more effective than Metternich and Wilhelm' then i probably would have done that one.
Hey guys! I am new at doing A level History. Can anyone provide me free resources online about Option 1G: Germany and West Germany, 1918-1989.
and Option 2G.2: Spain, 1930-78: republicanism, Francoism and the re-establishment of democracy. I am doing the new EDEXCEL specification and our History teacher said the EDEXCEL books are not enough to revise from as they are only summarised and basic. Thanks :smile:
So I need to choose a topic/question on the 100 year period between Alexander II and Stalin's rule in Russia for my coursework but I have no idea what to do it on, I don't mind doing anything that's been suggested, I just can't decide what to pick because I find it all kind of interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HalfEmpty
So I need to choose a topic/question on the 100 year period between Alexander II and Stalin's rule in Russia for my coursework but I have no idea what to do it on, I don't mind doing anything that's been suggested, I just can't decide what to pick because I find it all kind of interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it on a specific event from this time or do you need to cover multiple events during a period of time?
Specific person or event within the period
Original post by HalfEmpty
Specific person or event within the period

I'm doing this topic for my exam, so I've not covered much. But if you were to look at a specific person then I would look at Tsar Alexander II, including his reforms and multiple assassination attempts. For an event, maybe the Battle of Stalingrad or mass liquidation of the Kulaks? Those would be a few of my options. You should be able to find lots about Tsar Alexander II if you were looking to go into lots of detail.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Level: A2, hopefully at uni next year!
Subjects studying: Thatcher and Civil Rights in America.
Favourite period/aspect of history: Early Modern, especially domestic and social.
When looking at Stalin's economic policies, what themes would you investigate, I'm talking about things such as collectivisation and possibly the 5 year plans

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending