The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_K1NG
He will beat Murray but will struggle against Djokovic.

I dunno Murray seems to be back to his best, whereas Federer has dipped a bit so I'd favour Murray if they met at Wimbledon. I think Federer's best bet would be for Murray and Djokovic to be in the same half of the draw so that they can have a long drawn out battle in the semis and if he's waiting in the final beat whoever comes through their latest slugfest. As I said I think a lot needs to fall in place for Federer to win. It'll be easier to call once the draws are out. Very exited for this Wimbledon as always, very open.
Original post by The_K1NG
He will beat Murray but will struggle against Djokovic.

Federer needs his serve and a decent forehand to just show up for 2 weeks and he'll be in business

That said, Djokovic and Murray go in as tournament favourites
Federer, Djokovic and Nadal are still a class above Murray. Even Federer at almost 34 years of age can comfortably beat Murray on grass. Sure, Murray has beaten them at Grand Slams in the past, but Murray is usually very little threat to them.

When Murray has beaten them in the past, it's not Murray who has played well, it's they who have played below their usual standard. If they are on form, Murray has no chance.
Original post by lizzy95
I dunno Murray seems to be back to his best, whereas Federer has dipped a bit so I'd favour Murray if they met at Wimbledon. I think Federer's best bet would be for Murray and Djokovic to be in the same half of the draw so that they can have a long drawn out battle in the semis and if he's waiting in the final beat whoever comes through their latest slugfest. As I said I think a lot needs to fall in place for Federer to win. It'll be easier to call once the draws are out. Very exited for this Wimbledon as always, very open.

I do agree that Federer needs a favourable draw in order to win. But I do also think that many people are overreacting to Federer's so called decline this season. I think he is playing at a same level as last year. He has had pretty similar results to last year in the first half of the season. The only difference this year was an early exit at the Australian Open but other than that he has had similar results. And besides he is normally better in the second half of the season and like last season, I expect another good second half of the season.

Murray is playing better but his serve still doesn't impress me. He has to improve that shot in order to beat Novak and Roger I feel.

Original post by Krish4791
Federer needs his serve and a decent forehand to just show up for 2 weeks and he'll be in business

That said, Djokovic and Murray go in as tournament favourites

I agree.
Original post by snowman77
Federer, Djokovic and Nadal are still a class above Murray. Even Federer at almost 34 years of age can comfortably beat Murray on grass. Sure, Murray has beaten them at Grand Slams in the past, but Murray is usually very little threat to them.

When Murray has beaten them in the past, it's not Murray who has played well, it's they who have played below their usual standard. If they are on form, Murray has no chance.

This is rubbish. I agree with you that Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are a class above; but Murray has the game that at his best can topple them, as he's shown with his two grand slam wins. He certainly doesn't have their mental fortitude on the court and when he plays his passive game he's not a threat at all, but it's not true that Federer can comfortably beat an on form Murray on grass.
Original post by LookIts_Liam
This is rubbish. I agree with you that Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are a class above; but Murray has the game that at his best can topple them, as he's shown with his two grand slam wins. He certainly doesn't have their mental fortitude on the court and when he plays his passive game he's not a threat at all, but it's not true that Federer can comfortably beat an on form Murray on grass.

errr..wimbledon 2012?
Original post by ThatMadClown
errr..wimbledon 2012?

That was 3 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ThatMadClown
errr..wimbledon 2012?

Sorry - I should have clarified. Of course Federer is good enough to beat Murray but the poster I was replying to was suggesting that Murray could never win big matches unless the likes of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have an off day; but I think Murray should be credited as a better player than someone who just capitalises on his opponents poor form, because he has shown that he can play fantastic tennis - it's not as if Murray gets walked over by the other three every time they're on form.
Sorry - I should have clarified. Of course Federer is good enough to beat Murray but the poster I was replying to was suggesting that Murray could never win big matches unless the likes of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have an off day; but I think Murray should be credited as a better player than someone who just capitalises on his opponents poor form, because he has shown that he can play fantastic tennis - it's not as if Murray gets walked over by the other three every time they're on form.

Well said. An in-form Murray is very tough to beat - I don't think Nadal can do it on grass anymore, but he may prove us wrong.
Rafa will win Wimbledon. You heard it here first.
Original post by Smash50

£10 bet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Smash50

Lol. Rafa's slam winning days are over most likely.
Whenever Murray has beaten one of these three guys, they have performed worse than they usually do. It's a fact. Djokovic performed below par in the 2012 US Open final and the 2013 Wimbledon final. Their B game is enough to beat Murray's A game. They need to be playing their C game for large parts of the match for Murray to stand a chance of beating them.
Whenever Murray has beaten one of these three guys, they have performed worse than they usually do. It's a fact. Djokovic performed below par in the 2012 US Open final and the 2013 Wimbledon final. Their B game is enough to beat Murray's A game. They need to be playing their C game for large parts of the match for Murray to stand a chance of beating them.

Lol ok

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't forget Stan Wawrinka , but he won AO 2014 and the French a few days ago :smile:
Wawrinka is an outside contender going by the odds, but grass is his least favourite surface by far. The balls don't bounce up as high as they do on clay/hard and he has less time to set himself up for topspin shots, so he can't bludgeon the ball as effectively.
Original post by Krish4791
Wawrinka is an outside contender going by the odds, but grass is his least favourite surface by far. The balls don't bounce up as high as they do on clay/hard and he has less time to set himself up for topspin shots, so he can't bludgeon the ball as effectively.

While i'd agree, Fed and Nadal have both won Wimbledon with significant topspin (infact people forget just how much topspin Fed adapted to use in order to cope with Nadal).

I tend to think that once at the top, the difference in surface play tends to reduce significantly. Remember that in 2012 and 2013 everybody was telling me that Del Potro can't play on grass due his prior results (i disagreed having seen his 2011 match vs Nadal) and then look at how he produced 2 epics.

Surface differences i would therefore contend are (at least in an age where surfaces are similar) only important for players who don't have it in them to dominate the tour generally anyway. Now Warwinka is not that player obviously but if he can turn up at the big moments on clay and hard courts then i'd wager he has a Wimbledon in him as well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Name a time in a Grand Slam where Nadal, Djokovic or Federer have played at their best against Murray and lost. Hint: there is no time. This is why Murray has reached so many semis and finals, but only converted it into 2 Grand Slam wins against a Djokovic who was playing well below his best on the day.
Name a time in a Grand Slam where Nadal, Djokovic or Federer have played at their best against Murray and lost. Hint: there is no time. This is why Murray has reached so many semis and finals, but only converted it into 2 Grand Slam wins against a Djokovic who was playing well below his best on the day.

Better give back that trophy.
In his typical efforts to play just well enough to keep me interested but badly enough that he never wins anything, Tomic has taken a set off Nadal.

Quick Reply

Latest