The Student Room Group

Top 10 Politics departments in the UK?

I presume most people would have Oxbridge and LSE at the top, but what about the other places? Or maybe you disagree with the top rankings?
Reply 1
Cambridge
LSE
Oxford
Warwick
Bristol
York
Exeter
Bath
Durham
Edinburgh

I just named my top ten off the top of my head
Reply 2
Original post by Cal-lum
Cambridge
LSE
Oxford
Warwick
Bristol
York
Exeter
Bath
Durham
Edinburgh

I just named my top ten off the top of my head

As well as these, St Andrews, UCL and Surrey also have reputations for politics. St Andrews particularly for International Relations (one of the few universities in the UK to have its own IR department) and Surrey for research.
Reply 3
Original post by NikolaT
As well as these, St Andrews, UCL and Surrey also have reputations for politics. St Andrews particularly for International Relations (one of the few universities in the UK to have its own IR department) and Surrey for research.

Totally forgot about St Andrews and UCL. Kings too actually. I don't know much about Surreys department, but I'm sure you're right.

So hard to condense down to a definitive top 10!
Top ten departments?

Not ranking them...

Oxford
LSE
UCL
Essex
Sheffield
Exeter
St Andrews/Aberystwyth (in only one slot as they are only focused on IR)
Edinburgh
Warwick
King's
Original post by polscistudent88
Top ten departments?

Not ranking them...

Oxford
LSE
UCL
Essex
Sheffield
Exeter
St Andrews/Aberystwyth (in only one slot as they are only focused on IR)
Edinburgh
Warwick
King's

Why do you consider Essex to be top 10?
Original post by NikolaT

What about Glasgow university? Also is Aberystwyth good for straight politics or just international relations stuff?
Original post by cleverasvoltaire
Why do you consider Essex to be top 10?

It's been the top department in the country since the beginning of the research assessment, and the result has been confirmed in the last REF. Top 7 in the world for publications in top journals (and best in Europe). Top department for quantitative political science in the country and probably in Europe (with only competition coming from a couple of departments in Germany). Department hosting the top journal in political science for the UK, and the best summer school in research methods available in Europe. Certainly top 10, but also most likely top 3.
Original post by polscistudent88
It's been the top department in the country since the beginning of the research assessment, and the result has been confirmed in the last REF. Top 7 in the world for publications in top journals (and best in Europe). Top department for quantitative political science in the country and probably in Europe (with only competition coming from a couple of departments in Germany). Department hosting the top journal in political science for the UK, and the best summer school in research methods available in Europe. Certainly top 10, but also most likely top 3.

Thank you very much, with predicted grades of A*AB which five places do you think I should apply?
Original post by NikolaT

Surrey almost had it's politics department destroyed, still worth applying to?
Reply 10
What would you say are the main jobs people go into with a Politics Degree ?
Original post by c1s2
What would you say are the main jobs people go into with a Politics Degree ?

I'm not applying for it but my cousin is. She is looking at doing a law conversion cause, political journalism, researcher (for a party), campaign manager and I'm sure a whole host of other things. The real question may be what can't you do?
i wouldn't rule out Kent and SOAS for IR; and Kings isn't what it used to be tbh. Kent has better programs in conflict resolution than Kings now (and yes those are politics courses). Oxford's PPE is more smoke and mirrors than anything; the course is a bit archaic now.
Original post by cleverasvoltaire
Thank you very much, with predicted grades of A*AB which five places do you think I should apply?

I would look at course content, location, facilities as well as entry requirements- remember most unis don't see A*AB as the same as AAA
Hi there. I received an unconditional offer to a Msc in International Relations in Edinburgh. Can I hear from you what you think about this course and Edinburgh's reputation in IR and Political Science? Why, exactly, is U. of Edinburgh in this top 10 list? Thanks so much!!
Cambridge
Oxford

Warwick
LSE
UCL

St Andrews
Bristol
Durham
Edinburgh
York
Original post by Mr. Roxas

Cambridge
Oxford

Warwick
LSE
UCL

St Andrews
Bristol
Durham
Edinburgh
York

Cambridge top 2? In the world of Little Pony? I'm sorry but makes no sense outside a pub. Hardly top 10. Bristol top 10? Not really. Warwick above LSE UCL St Andrews Edinburgh? Not really.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending