The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR Latin

Scroll to see replies

Original post by colback98
is there 7 or 8 points for the other parts tho?

Also my teacher finally sent through possible 10 and 8 markers.

If you want I'll share the 8 markers but the 10 markers are done by pages and our pages are really weird.

Surprisingly, the lion simile specifically doesn't come up, although everything after it on that page does. Saying that, it really isn't hard to talk about the lion simile since there is so much.
Original post by Xphoenix
Also my teacher finally sent through possible 10 and 8 markers.

If you want I'll share the 8 markers but the 10 markers are done by pages and our pages are really weird.

Surprisingly, the lion simile specifically doesn't come up, although everything after it on that page does. Saying that, it really isn't hard to talk about the lion simile since there is so much.

Oh could you please post them? As i am really stuck thank you!
What are the differences and similarities for the characters of Nisus and Euryalus?

So far I have (not much!)

Differences:

Nisus is more experienced and older than Euryalus

Nisus is more heroic (e.g. E is overcome with lust for stolen booty which ends up being his downfall)

Similarities:

Both have a lust for slaughter

Both want to be heroes

If anyone could add or improve on these I would be very grateful
Original post by iuyscvbh
What are the differences and similarities for the characters of Nisus and Euryalus?

So far I have (not much!)

Differences:

Nisus is more experienced and older than Euryalus

Nisus is more heroic (e.g. E is overcome with lust for stolen booty which ends up being his downfall)

Similarities:

Both have a lust for slaughter

Both want to be heroes

If anyone could add or improve on these I would be very grateful

Instead of the example you've got for heroic I'd say Nisus is more heroic as he is happy to find Aeneas 'for the glory of the deed' as opposed to E who is there fore the booty
Nisus is more intelligent and then the example you've given for heroism- he is smart enough to not take all the 'burdensome booty'
Very basic, but Euryalus is also more good looking
Both are in love- this is key, especially for Nisus as it causes his downfall.
Nisus is more levelheaded and is less bloodthirsty, e.g. stops Euryalus saying 'enough punishment has been inflicted'
Nisus is more protective, e.g. gives E the instructions to watch out and see if anyone is coming to try and stop him being involved in the fray, also later on tries to protect him by endangering his own life
Nisus seems religious (this is a weak point but hey)
Original post by lucyjane12
Instead of the example you've got for heroic I'd say Nisus is more heroic as he is happy to find Aeneas 'for the glory of the deed' as opposed to E who is there fore the booty
Nisus is more intelligent and then the example you've given for heroism- he is smart enough to not take all the 'burdensome booty'
Very basic, but Euryalus is also more good looking
Both are in love- this is key, especially for Nisus as it causes his downfall.
Nisus is more levelheaded and is less bloodthirsty, e.g. stops Euryalus saying 'enough punishment has been inflicted'
Nisus is more protective, e.g. gives E the instructions to watch out and see if anyone is coming to try and stop him being involved in the fray, also later on tries to protect him by endangering his own life
Nisus seems religious (this is a weak point but hey)

Thanks, that's really helpful!
Any ideas of what the extract will be for the 10 mark question (Nisus and Euryalus)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm losing all motivation to revise Latin :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have any practice papers for Nisus and Euryalus?
Original post by RachJess4
Does anyone have any practice papers for Nisus and Euryalus?

The OCR website may have some past papers you can study. I have some practice questions for 8-mark essays, if you would like them.
Just started revising , should be relatively easy
Original post by fablereader
The OCR website may have some past papers you can study. I have some practice questions for 8-mark essays, if you would like them.

There's no past papers for Nisus and Euryalus since I'm pretty sure we're the first year to do this text :/
Yes plaese, that would be extremely helpful, thank you so much! :biggrin:
Original post by Jamie.michael
Anyone do CIE English language Igcse?
Mee
Original post by RachJess4
There's no past papers for Nisus and Euryalus since I'm pretty sure we're the first year to do this text :/
Yes plaese, that would be extremely helpful, thank you so much! :biggrin:

Here are some questions posted earlier in the forum by Axy 333:

How does Virgil make us sympathetic to the characters of Nisus and Euryalus in the lines of Aeneid 9 that you have studied?
How does Virgil portray the relationship between Nisus and Euryalus in the lines of Aeneid 9 that you have studied?
How does Virgil maintain our interest in the story of Nisus and Euryalus that you have studied?
The depiction of the story of Nisus and Euryalus is too full of violence and gore for us to sympathise with them, do you agree?

These questions are somewhat difficult, particularly the fourth point (in my opinion) Another question I think I found on the forum (I cannot remember where) is:

What view of war and heroism does Virgil present in the lines of Aeneid 9 you have read?

My tutor suggested some rather easier essays to practice, although I found material for the second and third essays were harder to gather:

How does Virgil characterise Nisus?
How does Virgil characterise Euryalus?
How does Virgil characterise the Rutulians?
Was Virgil a good story-teller?

Note that an essay on how Virgil maintains interest and one on whether he is a good story-teller would be very similar, so I would recommend doing one of those at most.

A good way to practice is to write the essay in less than twenty minutes, due to the time limit for the paper.

I am not at all suggesting that you do ALL of these. You do not want to stress yourself out tonight and waste time you could be using sleeping. I would suggest you do a few of these which you feel would be useful tonight and tomorrow morning.
(edited 8 years ago)
Would y'all say Virgil is a good storyteller? I'm assuming I would but I don't know what I'd say to back that up other than quoting a few techniques, what would everyone else say...
Original post by lucyjane12
Would y'all say Virgil is a good storyteller? I'm assuming I would but I don't know what I'd say to back that up other than quoting a few techniques, what would everyone else say...

I wrote a practice exam on that. I said yes because basically he has written a good epic poem, which is what he intended. I went on to explain why it was a good epic poem: it had great detail, it had heroes, it had battles, it had deaths, and it roused the emotions of the reader.

Note that the definition of hero was probably different back then, and heroes might not have necessarily been good people. Mostly it was just very good fighters or clever or skilled people (such as Achilles, Odysseus and Orpheus). So Volcens could probably be considered a hero by this definition.
(edited 8 years ago)
What passages will likely come up?
Original post by StressedByDay
What passages will likely come up?

I don't know but I'd say it's practically impossible to predict, one or other of the two main similes and the death of the two heroes probably but there's a lot to say about all of it so could be any of it.
Original post by Röberto
Mee

Did you do the one about the osprey in the first paper?
'do N & E succeed in their desire to do something heroic in the war between the Trojans and the rutulians?' how on earth would u get 8 marks there?
can someone give me a very brief description of the plot, who are the rutuli, who is volcens latinus etc what are they fighting for

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending