The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR Latin

Scroll to see replies

I did bad lol. ****
Didn't like that as much as the Pliny one... but I think it was ok. Not a big fan of the 10 mark one, I couldn't think of that many things tosay.
Original post by StressedByDay
How did nisus persuade the gods?

I thought this was a bit of a bad choice for a question because the two reasons; his farther gave gifts on his behalf and his hunts adorning the temples or whatever were very similar and you couldn't use literary devices like repition and appearing desperate as argument.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Astrtricks
I thought this was a bit of a bad choice for a question because the two reasons; his farther gave gifts on his behalf and his hunts adorning the temples or whatever were very similar and you couldn't use literary devices like repition and appearing desperate as argument.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha I learnt the translation but it was worded terribly, so I couldn't do it.
How did nisus persuade the gods?

I put 'if in any way his father brought gifts to her altars' and 'if in any way he himself honoured her with his quarries.' Does anyone think the "if in any way"s will do me any harm?
loll that was such a weird exam!! for the nisus one I put that he enhanced the gifts himself by his hunting
and that he sacrificed successful hunts to the goddess by hanging them at the dome or by fixing it?
Did anyone else notice that the 8-mark question was a 'how far' (in other words, 'to what extent') question?
What's an A overall for Latin
What's an A overall for Latin

320 UMS:

Having a guess that would be:

Language 1:48
Langauge 2: 43
Prose: 38
Verse: 34
What points did you put for the 10 marker? (Also how many do you need, though I guess it's too late now)

I put that saevit shows he is savage and animalistic and that atrox comes from ater meaning black so it shows he is evil, also the whole phrase was placed at the beginning of the line for emphasis.

Then I said that he uses direct speech (Volcens) to make it more pertinent and emotional, and that tu tamen interea has spitty and plosive sounds so it shows he is angry.

Also the use of hot imagery like calide sanguine and se ardens reflects his mad anger as he is like an out of control fire

For Nisus I said he uses the words vero exterritus to show his fear, and that the vero and exterritus (rather than peterritus) emphasise his fear. Also amens shows he is so scared he cannot even this straight.

Finally I said that me me, adsum qui feci, converrite ad me ferrum showed he was so distressed that he losses all complex vocabulary and structures (only one or two syllable words mainly). Plus the tricolon of me's shows he is desperate not to have Euryalus killed because of him.

Can anyone else add any other points to make a kind of unofficial mark scheme perhaps?

I really struggled for time in ths exam - I was literally writing as the invigilator said 'stop'
Anyone doing sources tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _cryinglightning
Anyone doing sources tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me!!! How are you revising for it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
We haven't really been taught any of the topics! So I've just read the source booklet and Googled each of the 10 topics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That exam was really.. odd

Like the Town Mouse question, what even?
Reply 474
I found the last question extremely weird and it threw me off a bit
Hi Guys,I am doing Latin OCR GCSE, and I have my Latin Literature Mock on Monday… We are being tested on Arria, A day in the life of Pliny, and half of Virgil’s Anaeid, but I can’t find any past papers with questions for these (checked the OCR Website already).Does anybody have any past papers or where to find them on what I’ve learnt????Thanks!!!
Reply 476
Hi, cause they change the set text every couple years the only past paper is the one I sat this June just passed (but you won't find that online - and it might be the one your teachers uses) sorry I can't help more :P
Original post by queenfluffy23
Hi Guys,I am doing Latin OCR GCSE, and I have my Latin Literature Mock on Monday… We are being tested on Arria, A day in the life of Pliny, and half of Virgil’s Anaeid, but I can’t find any past papers with questions for these (checked the OCR Website already).Does anybody have any past papers or where to find them on what I’ve learnt????Thanks!!!

I had the same Prose as you. It sucks.

For Arria, you could get a question like "what was arrias most honourable act" or "explain the ways in which Arria shows strong character"

For day in the life of pliny, i remember getting an 8 marker saying "explain how pliny was different to other romans of his class" or something

If in doubt just google "gcse ocr latin prose"
Reply 478
If you really want to know the major themes of the Aeneid, here they are.

1. The Roman hero. Aeneas is in a way a Homeric hero without the bluster and with a more profound and civilised approach to life and the gods.
2. Humanity. There is poor old Aeneas, just like the rest of us, stuck on the horns of a very human dilemma: do I leave Dido and carry out my duty, or do I follow my heart and stay here? We know that the epic wouldn't have been written if he had made a different decision - but of course nor would Roma have been founded. He would have hung around in Carthage. Instead he mkes his way to Italy and sets up the Roam approach.
Rome. Aeneas, without knowing the future - except what he is told by his father in the underworld - complies with what he understands to be correct. He is also given nudges about what has to happen during the fall of Troy, where he can see that the collapse of Troy is pa\rt of the Gods' plan, as they help pull down the walls. Accordingly he realises that he has a future elsewhere.

If Virgil was entirely lacking compassion and committed to Rome rather than to the reality of human weakness, he would have been able to exclude the Dido episode. In fact he exploits it as a genuine example of the way we operate.

This may seem a personal response to the Aeneid; but anything else would be less, would miss the point.

There is much more that could be said in detail but that will do for now. Essentially we have the political background, the human truths and the personal issues. They combine into a visionary whole. I cannot escape any aspect of the poem, since I think they are intertwined.

awh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending