The Student Room Group

Edexcel FAS(triple) Physics P3 exam 19th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EarlOfMaidstone
I have to say even though I understood the last 6er, it was more biology related than physics, and seems a bit desperate from Pearson, almost as if they ran out of ideas!

Couldn't agree more. There were many more they could've examined us on really…

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xx_lofsuburbia
No, the one where they gave you a scale

It was around 11cm wasn't it?

That was what I put
2.1 x 10^-3 which was box C I think?

I selected box C as well.
Original post by TheLadyInBlack
Couldn't agree more. There were many more they could've examined us on really…

Posted from TSR Mobile

The grade boundaries have to be quite low, it was a technical paper which wasn't just physics based, I would say 44-45/60 for an A*

Yup. I got 11 : )
Loveeed this exam!!! Went so so so so much better than Chemistry! Dropped 3 or 4 marks max I think?
And the 6 mark questions were pure gifts!!!! *thanks edexcel paper authors* :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by yukicookie
Yup. I got 11 : )

Good good! I know I've messed up some 1 markers but am overall quite pleased
Good good! I know I've messed up some 1 markers but am overall quite pleased

It certainly went better than P2
Reply 49
Made a LOT of stupid mistakes - especially with the arithmetical questions. Forgot to convert Celsius to kelvin, made calculator error with the image distance and that's been occurring for all my science exams ffs.

What was the gist for both 6 markers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
What did people say for the background radiation from the graph? I guessed 0.5 but I'm probably wrong
Reply 51
What did people say for the background radiation from the graph? I guessed 0.5 but I'm probably wrong

Said 0.6 but no idea if it's right. I just presumed the highest thickness blocks all light and what's left is background
Original post by hahahahaha123
It was the 10^-2 i think

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got the same answer.
I liked the exam apart from a few mathematical questions. Hope the boundaries are low.
Original post by yukicookie
I selected box C as well.

Same

Original post by Akashi
Made a LOT of stupid mistakes - especially with the arithmetical questions. Forgot to convert Celsius to kelvin, made calculator error with the image distance and that's been occurring for all my science exams ffs.

What was the gist for both 6 markers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't exactly remember what I've written because I've done things since the exam, but I think they were something like this:
1. First about hospital and scientific use of particle accelerators and how they differ:
Differ in size, price, power used
Hospital- for radioisotopes from cyclotrons, brief description of cyclotrons
Why radioisotopes are useful, short half life PET scanning from cyclotron too etc. Iodine radioisotopes for thyroid health review.
Scientific- SERN, Large Hadron Collider- Accelerating charged particles towards on another to observe reaction- this is how higgs boson was found but this still needs validation
Fewer science Particle accelerators due to price. Talk about observation of any other patricles being emitted from collision or other radiation
I think that's at least most of what I'd written for that first one.

2.ECG Trace
Label P wave,QRS complex, T wave
Sino atrial node emits action potentials/electrical impulses like natural pacemaker
Causes atrial systole (contraction) of atria, this is P wave
Action potentials move to atrio-ventricular node (about the centre of heart), cannot pass through bottom of atria due to insulating cardiac tissue
pauses before emitting signal, so blood can move to ventricles.- this is dip between P wave end and Q wave start
A.V node emits signal, causes ventricular systole (contraction) and blood pushed out of heart- this is QRS complex wave
Larger because greater electrical signal
Heart recovers- recovery time or time for depolarisation is T wave
All impulses traced and shown on ECG trace
Refer to numbers written- can't rememeber what they were but one was time from T wave end to P wave start
Usual heart beat
Hm, I think that's all I put, might be more but I can't remember. :P

Hope I helped! There was hardly any space for the 6 markers! Had to use more paper both times. D:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by KD1024
Said 0.6 but no idea if it's right. I just presumed the highest thickness blocks all light and what's left is background

Same, glad I wasn't the only one who thought this way!
What do u guys think it will be for an a* on this paper
Original post by misspsimmons
What do u guys think it will be for an a* on this paper

46?
Original post by FatimaHere
Same, glad I wasn't the only one who thought this way!

Are you doing physics next year?
Original post by xx_lofsuburbia
Are you doing physics next year?

Heck yeah! And Biology and Chemistry too, alongside Maths XD (I wanna be a Doctor) Are you?:redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending