The Student Room Group

Has anyone done 3 Sciences + Maths and Further Maths and how did you find it?

I'm doing Bio, Chem, Physics, Maths and Further Maths in September and was wondering if anyone could give me any tips in terms of revising for these subjects?

Thank you :smile:
I did it. It was ****ing horrendous and came out with all Cs. Resat doing easier subjects and got As. If you're not an A* student don't do it.
Not much help but my beother did it and got 5A*. He goes to ucl and is doing medicine. If you work hard than you will do well.
Reply 3
Original post by drinktheoceans
I'm doing Bio, Chem, Physics, Maths and Further Maths in September and was wondering if anyone could give me any tips in terms of revising for these subjects?

I've just finished my First year and i did 4 As levels, further maths maths physics and psychology. I found physics to be the hardest, maths is easy if you're good At algebra. Further maths is just additional maths and makes maths and physics a lot easier. further maths took up most of my time. My advice is to see which exam boards you have for all your subjects. If u have OCR b physics, dont do physics as it is an awful course. Or just go to a different sixth form. OCR tends to be the hardest exam board. I found this year fine, but it is a step up. At GCSE you can get away with revising 1 week before an exam, at AS you will get homework every single lesson, but its more than manageable. If you do all your work and do tons of past exam papers, you will be fine. To do 5 subjects though, i dont know. Its better to get 4As than 3 AS and 2 Bs. What do u want to do as a career and or uni? What grades are you aiming for?
Reply 4

It's fairly easy tbh. If you're good enough to be doing 5 subjects then you should be fine.
Original post by kennz
I've just finished my First year and i did 4 As levels, further maths maths physics and psychology. I found physics to be the hardest, maths is easy if you're good At algebra. Further maths is just additional maths and makes maths and physics a lot easier. further maths took up most of my time. My advice is to see which exam boards you have for all your subjects. If u have OCR b physics, dont do physics as it is an awful course. Or just go to a different sixth form. OCR tends to be the hardest exam board. I found this year fine, but it is a step up. At GCSE you can get away with revising 1 week before an exam, at AS you will get homework every single lesson, but its more than manageable. If you do all your work and do tons of past exam papers, you will be fine. To do 5 subjects though, i dont know. Its better to get 4As than 3 AS and 2 Bs. What do u want to do as a career and or uni? What grades are you aiming for?

Thanks for the advice, my sixth form does Edexcel Physics so I'm guessing that's better? I'm aiming towards doing Medicine at Uni (I know you don't need Physics or Further Maths but I enjoy them and it opens up my options) and I'm aiming towards A*A*AAa or A*A*Aaa (Bit optimistic but it's nice to aim high). I've heard that you have to spend quite a bit of your time doing homework and revising at home but I'm kinda hoping that my subjects will help with others :smile:
I just finished A2 having dropped Biology after AS when I realised sciences (continued with humanities) weren't for me but I have a friend who just finished AS doing those exact options. She got around 11 A*s at GCSE so our sixth form were confident with her taking it on. One downside is that she had next to no free periods, personally I found these essential to get work done by deadlines and exam practice shoved in nearer the exams. However, my exams were mostly essay based and so they also had coursework that took up a lot of time.

Honestly, I think it depends on just how good you are at the subjects. They link well together but, as others have said, you're better off getting AAAA first year than AABBB because you had to spread yourself over so many subjects. The course content can be vast, I'd recommend looking over what they're going to be exactly and how you will be tested. The step up is horrendous and definitely pokes holes in your knowledge of the subject (went from getting practically full marks in GCSE Bio to a B in AS and I put a hell of a lot of effort into it). Really you know yourself best. Are you motivated enough to work hard at all five? Do you have lots of things to do outside school that will prevent you from spending all your time on your subjects, can you cope with a high workload and is it really necessary for you to do all those subjects - even for medicine? (Seeing as the fourth A2 is discounted unless it is too low for you to get in, then suddenly you've lost your place). It's not really something anyone can judge for you.
Reply 7
Thanks for the advice, my sixth form does Edexcel Physics so I'm guessing that's better? I'm aiming towards doing Medicine at Uni (I know you don't need Physics or Further Maths but I enjoy them and it opens up my options) and I'm aiming towards A*A*AAa or A*A*Aaa (Bit optimistic but it's nice to aim high). I've heard that you have to spend quite a bit of your time doing homework and revising at home but I'm kinda hoping that my subjects will help with others :smile:

edexcel physics is fine. But unless you love physics, I wouldnt advise you to do it. 5 subjects is a lot. Further maths was my favourite I think, its where all the good maths is. Chemistry will probably help a bit with physics and maths/further maths will help with both. To be honest, lots of people who do medicine did 5 AS subjects so its probably a trend. My advice would be to check your subjects specifications and which maths modules your school does. If there's not much.physics you like in the course, leave it. But, grades are 70% of the uni application, especially medicine. Do loads of extra curiccular stuff like DofE or after school.clubs, anything. If you did 4 subjects, you'll certainly have more time to do this sort of stuff. I heard chemistry is not too bad at A level, but a Lot of it is organic chemistry, which doesnt really tie in with physics. I think OCR biology is hard as well. But if your're aiming to go.far in medicine and work.hard enough, im sure you'll be fine. But expect a Lot more time in doing school work, probably like 8am-6 or 7pm doing work most days. Use your free periods as the time to get work done, and get most work done at school. Use your home as a place to relax and just do revision only. Exam past papers and looking at exam specification and organising your notes as mind maps or flash card and u should get the grades 😃
Original post by kennz

Lol you know about OCR B physics, purely the reason why i struggle in physics but im managing to get A's in my other subjects :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Lol you know about OCR B physics, purely the reason why i struggle in physics but im managing to get A's in my other subjects :frown:

same here, hopefully I get at least a B this year and next year its back to learning content and going I to an exam feeling confident. AS is the hard part
Original post by kennz
same here, hopefully I get at least a B this year and next year its back to learning content and going I to an exam feeling confident. AS is the hard part

How is the a2 gonna be easier? :tongue:
Reply 11
How is the a2 gonna be easier? :tongue:

they only put things in the paper that are explicitly in the spec, and its more interesting
Original post by kennz
they only put things in the paper that are explicitly in the spec, and its more interesting

Hmm i see, do you think you can bring your B up to an A?
Reply 13
Hmm i see, do you think you can bring your B up to an A?

easily, my bro improved from.a B to.an A* in OCR PE
Original post by kennz
easily, my bro improved from.a B to.an A* in OCR PE

Yeah but that's PE, not physics :tongue:
Reply 15
Yeah but that's PE, not physics :tongue:

your grades in the A2 exams decide your final grade really, it says in the spec. I don't mean you can go from a D to an A* but a B to an A is more than possible.
Reply 16

I did the three sciences and maths and i must say they're doable but during exam season you really feel the pressure, since most of the times you'll have nearly double the amount of exams than the arts students.
Also, since exams have got harder i don't think it is for everybody, so many exam questions nowadays are testing intelligence and understanding of the subject, rather than factual recall.
Secondly, since in my school if you sat physics it was compulsory to do Mechanics as applied modules for maths, e sure you can cope with it, since i found them to be my hardest maths modules both in year 12 and 13.
I don't think there is a specific revision technique for these subjects, if you understand the content when you get it taught, chances are you'll just have to read over it a few times to remind yourself stuff before the exams. And past papers, but since you guys are sitting a completely new specification idk how useful they really are.
Hope you found this useful and good luck, you'll need it.

I'm taking the same subjects in September! :smile:
Original post by Mathsqueen
I'm taking the same subjects in September! :smile:

I hope we both find them enjoyable then, haha :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest