The Student Room Group

Cambridge Chemistry Challenge

Scroll to see replies

Are you hoping to apply to Cambridge to study a chemistry degree of sorts?

Just send that a thankful, but apologetic Email.

If necessary, make up a story - like little Timmy will be swimming with dolphins...
So happy to have got a copper award, was only told I was doing it 2 days before and didn't prepare at all!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
My mark from my teacher was 44 but then it must have been marked up as I just got accepted to the residential!! I'm so happy :biggrin:
Original post by Ewanclementson
My mark from my teacher was 44 but then it must have been marked up as I just got accepted to the residential!! I'm so happy :biggrin:

Well done haha! One of my friends got marked up from 43 as well so it seems like the markers over there seem to be more lenient. Anyway, I'll see you at the residential in a couple of months :smile:
The mark schemes are rather poor- the last three Q's are out of three marks, but there is no indication of what two or one mark might look like (OK one of them says allow 1 for the enol).

I think many papers were probably undermarked.
Original post by Pigster
Are you hoping to apply to Cambridge to study a chemistry degree of sorts?

Just send that a thankful, but apologetic Email.

If necessary, make up a story - like little Timmy will be swimming with dolphins...

I want to apply for chemistry but I didn't really consider Cambridge till now, as they want really high AS level percentages, and was instead looking at Oxford as they look more at GCSE results. Lol I'm considering doing a story, really annoyed though, would've loved to have gone.
Has anyone on this thread been on the residential trip, or know anyone who has. I currently can't go, though could possibly rearrange flights so I can get back in time to go. However this would probably cost close to 100 pounds, and in a worst case senario could cost 500 pounds. Would it be worth the money to make it back for the residential trip?
Original post by asdfghjyttrfbb
Got the Roentgenium Award! though I'm unable to go to the camp, as I booked a holiday as I really didn't expect this, would it be seen as disrespectful to turn down the invitation?

No, few people didn't go last year. You would miss out a lot of opportunities tho, imo it was better than any other kinds of holiday: meeting new friends equally smart as you, being showed around Cambridge and attending formal dinner and lectures. There's also two camp one after the other, so you can rearrange it if possible. You should go if you take uni seriously, as I put a lot of the experience there on my personal statement and it really helped me getting offers from Cambridge.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm in year 9and I sat the paper a couple of weeks ago and I just got my result 20/60 that is a copper certificate.
Don't go on the summer school. Apparently it's not all that great, and isn't as useful as people make it out to be, so it'll probably be better to just go on holiday. If you've got a place you can get an offer anyway probably and going won't really make a difference
(edited 8 years ago)
...Apparently...people make out...probably...probably...

Voice of experience?
Well someone from my school got an Rg a few years ago and didn't get an offer in the end and conversely people have gotten offers without getting an Rg in the challenge.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Millingo_98
Well someone from my school got an Rg a few years ago and didn't get an offer in the end and conversely people have gotten offers without getting an Rg in the challenge.

That hardly seems like a reason not to go
Original post by AliceAndBob
That hardly seems like a reason not to go

But it might be a reason not to worry about spending up to £500 on going as someone mentioned earlier
Original post by Millingo_98

I can't turn down the chance to be cynical...

If I wanted one of my weaker students to get an Rg award, I could make it happen? Would that student attend the course, look like a fool, not get the grades and then not get a place at Cambridge?

Easy peasy.

Could I just not tell one of our (handful of) 6xA* students who plan to study natural sciences at Cambridge that the competition was happening? Would s/he not get a place because they didn't take the paper?
Reply 3715
Has anyone on this thread been on the residential trip, or know anyone who has. I currently can't go, though could possibly rearrange flights so I can get back in time to go. However this would probably cost close to 100 pounds, and in a worst case senario could cost 500 pounds. Would it be worth the money to make it back for the residential trip?

You could buy a lot of nice chemistry textbooks for that money.
Got the Roentgenium Award! though I'm unable to go to the camp, as I booked a holiday as I really didn't expect this, would it be seen as disrespectful to turn down the invitation?

Oh my God congratulations! Thats amazing! I got 15 ...couldn't even get a copper :-)
Im actually quite disappointed in myself.
But rather than waddle in my misery...allow me to learn from you...how did u do it?! Do you like read random chem books for fun or something?
Original post by Gwen President
Oh my God congratulations! Thats amazing! I got 15 ...couldn't even get a copper :-)
Im actually quite disappointed in myself.
But rather than waddle in my misery...allow me to learn from you...how did u do it?! Do you like read random chem books for fun or something?

Thank you, I did some further reading a few months back into some A2 stuff in preparation for the Chemistry Olympiad, and I also knew my AS stuff really well cause it was just after my exams. You shouldn't be disappointed with that result, the fact you're attempting challenges like this indicates drive, and indicates you'll do well in your A-levels.
Thank you, I did some further reading a few months back into some A2 stuff in preparation for the Chemistry Olympiad, and I also knew my AS stuff really well cause it was just after my exams. You shouldn't be disappointed with that result, the fact you're attempting challenges like this indicates drive, and indicates you'll do well in your A-levels

Thanks so much for your kind words. Congrats again 😀
Anyone else here going on the Cambridge Chemistry Challenge Camp on August 25th?

Quick Reply

Latest