The Student Room Group

Scared that I have failed chemistry AS and I'm only doing three subjects!! 😁😅

For a AS, I have only done three subjects: biology, Spanish, chemistry. I don't think I did very well in the chemistry exams. I am worried that I have failed chemistry and that I have to carry on with it..
Is anyone else in this position? What are you thinking of doing?

Help! 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
If you fail it maybe you could ask to redo chemistry AS while doing A2 in your other two subjects, then take a year out just to finish chem A2??? Or if you pass but don't get a good grade like a D you could maybe retake the AS year while doing A2 chem. I think all you need is a D to carry on to A2. Hope this helps xx
Reply 2
If you wanted to finish all your a levels in the same year you could either resit your whole AS year, keep going with chemistry but resit the AS exams while you do your A2's, or take up a whole new a level and do it in one year alongside your A2's. Re-sitting your AS year would probably be the easiest option because you could drop chemistry and pick up a new subject. Doing a whole a-level in a year is possible but depends on how much time you want to put in.
Reply 3
Reply 4
Ok my sixth form won't allow me to drop chemistry! Argh! Shall I carry on with a2 and fail chemistry or shall I do something else? 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emilita.nxn
Ok my sixth form won't allow me to drop chemistry! Argh! Shall I carry on with a2 and fail chemistry or shall I do something else? 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile

Will they let you resit your AS in Chemistry? If they will, but they won't let you drop chemistry, your best bet is to redo the Chem AS whilst taking your other subjects to A2. Then take a year out (as suggested below) and carry your Chemistry to A2.
Reply 6

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some Sixth Form Colleges will not allow for you to take any less than 3 subjects. (Don't know why, seems a bit silly :P).However it is highly likely that your college will allow you to resit exams next year. Although it will mean more studying unfortunately :'( Personally, I would recommend sticking to it and just trying your hardest on a resit to achieve a better grade overall. :smile:
Reply 7
I got a b in biology, c in Spanish and a d in chemistry....I need b b c to do a nursing degree...
I don't know what to do....

Posted from TSR Mobile
I retook all my AS exams the following year, whilst studying for my A2s and it was surprisingly manageable; a lot of the content overlaps (especially with Chemistry, so it meant I did better in my A2 exams because I had more impetus to revise the AS stuff that we needed anyway) plus if teachers know you're retaking, they might organise mocks and stuff to help you :smile:
I got a b in biology, c in Spanish and a d in chemistry....I need b b c to do a nursing degree...

Posted from TSR Mobile

you can get into nursing with bbc-ccc so you could easily apply for nursing across a range of universities and maybe have a foundation entry as your 5th choice as a back up.
Your ps,interview and experience are equally if not more important than your grades, however not many nursing applicants will have 2 sciences like you do so you ve got an advantage there.

Check out this list of entry requirements and you ; see that you ve plenty of choice still http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/List_of_nursing_degrees_and_their_entry_requirements.
Which branch of nursing do you want to do?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there,

Do you know the grades for the particular modules in Chemistry? For example, was there one module that you done well in and one module where you done poorly in?

If you only done badly in one or two of the modules, you can just re-take the exams for those modules, and that should boost your grade up a bit. If however, the vast majority of your modules are quite poor, then you may be better off retaking the whole of the Chemistry A Level. You could do that in two ways, by either doing the whole A-Level in one year, along with your other A2's, or you could retake the Chem AS along with your other A2's, and then take a year out whilst you finish off the Chemistry A2.

In any case, hope everything turns out well for you in the end! :smile:
For chemistry, I need to redo both of the exams. Biology I need to do the practical again. Spanish I need to do the paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For chemistry, I need to redo both of the exams. Biology I need to do the practical again. Spanish I need to do the paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, thanks for the updated info. :smile:

Your Biology grade is looking good so far - tbh I don't know whether they will let you redo a practical or not, you'll have to speak to your teachers about it.

For Spanish, you could just re-sit the affected paper that you said you need to improve on. I re-sat a couple of papers in my A Levels (admittedly on different subjects) and managed to improve things :smile:

With regards to Chemistry... you say that you need to re-sit both of the exam papers? Correct me if I am wrong but when I did Chemistry (exam board was OCR) there were 2 exams per year and one module per year that was all of the practicals/coursework? You could re-sit both exams, but that would result in having to do 4 Chemistry exams next year, which might be a bit too much to manage (especially if you are looking at resitting one of the Spanish exams). Alternatively, you could retake the whole of AS Chemistry, and either do the whole A Level in 1 year, or do the AS Chem again (along with the A2s) this year and then take a gap year whilst you do the A2 Chemistry. You've got quote a few options - you're probably best speaking to your teachers and seeing what they would recommend out of the available options. :smile:

Hope that helps - let me know what happens :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest