The Student Room Group

AQA or Edexcel for Chemistry and Biology in terms of marking schemes

Hi guys, I am trying to decide between AQA and Edexcel for Biology and Chemistry. Basically what I care most about is the marking schemes and exam questions- which board is more straight forward in their questions and less tricky in marking schemes? I would really hate to pick the board that is really hard on marking schemes.
Reply 1
Original post by karzen
Hi guys, I am trying to decide between AQA and Edexcel for Biology and Chemistry. Basically what I care most about is the marking schemes and exam questions- which board is more straight forward in their questions and less tricky in marking schemes? I would really hate to pick the board that is really hard on marking schemes.

In that case, stay away from aqa...
Reply 2
Original post by Ruyshi
In that case, stay away from aqa...

That's what I thought really. In this case I will definetely stick to Edexcel Chemistry. I am having more trouble with Biology tho as I feel AQA has more human biology and diseases content and Edexcel is more about plants and ecology. Do you happen to know if that's the case?
Reply 3
Original post by karzen
That's what I thought really. In this case I will definetely stick to Edexcel Chemistry. I am having more trouble with Biology tho as I feel AQA has more human biology and diseases content and Edexcel is more about plants and ecology. Do you happen to know if that's the case?

Im not really sure.. Why dont you take a look at the individual specifications and compare the different topics youre expected to cover?
Reply 4
Original post by Ruyshi
Im not really sure.. Why dont you take a look at the individual specifications and compare the different topics youre expected to cover?

Will do, thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Ruyshi

Btw what is AQA particularly hard on? Marking schemes or trick questions and how is Edexcel better, easier questions or less strick marking?
Reply 6
I recommend Edexcel for Chemistry.

Edexcel chemistry has arguably harder contents, but by no means difficult exam questions and their mark schemes are reasonable and always repeated for the same type of questions.

I have never seen a AQA chemistry paper, but I do physics with AQA and their mark scheme is ridiculous. Sometimes they expect you to write something that isn't explicitly asked in the question, or really dodgy wording.
Reply 7
Original post by C0balt
I recommend Edexcel for Chemistry.

Edexcel chemistry has arguably harder contents, but by no means difficult exam questions and their mark schemes are reasonable and always repeated for the same type of questions.

I have never seen a AQA chemistry paper, but I do physics with AQA and their mark scheme is ridiculous. Sometimes they expect you to write something that isn't explicitly asked in the question, or really dodgy wording.

Thanks a lot! Can I ask what you mean by harder content? Does it have something more than AQA or do they require more in terms of mutual content? Is there a lot more theory?
Reply 8
Original post by karzen
Thanks a lot! Can I ask what you mean by harder content? Does it have something more than AQA or do they require more in terms of mutual content? Is there a lot more theory?

I've never sat down and compared each specification so I'm not exactly sure
But from what I heard participating in the AS chemistry thread a lot this year, Edexcel has more pure chemistry whereas AQA has more study on industrial process
Edexcel does more Hess cycle than AQA and does Born Haber Cycle in AS whereas AQA does in A2 (those are both physical chemistry topics). So in terms of pure chemistry content I think edexcel has more and also harder in terms of mutual content

But contents being harder isn't much of a problem when it comes to the exams, once you understand the concept you can do questions. What's frustrating when sitting exam is you understand everything fully but you can't get marks because the mark scheme is ridiculous or the question is ambiguous. It doesn't happen with Edexcel chemistry
Original post by karzen

AQA CHemistry is a thumbs up (simple and easy to memories)

AQA Biology is a disgrace (they throwing in more and more random crap and things outside syllabuses)
Reply 10
Original post by C0balt
I've never sat down and compared each specification so I'm not exactly sure
But from what I heard participating in the AS chemistry thread a lot this year, Edexcel has more pure chemistry whereas AQA has more study on industrial process
Edexcel does more Hess cycle than AQA and does Born Haber Cycle in AS whereas AQA does in A2 (those are both physical chemistry topics). So in terms of pure chemistry content I think edexcel has more and also harder in terms of mutual content

But contents being harder isn't much of a problem when it comes to the exams, once you understand the concept you can do questions. What's frustrating when sitting exam is you understand everything fully but you can't get marks because the mark scheme is ridiculous or the question is ambiguous. It doesn't happen with Edexcel chemistry

Even better for me, I like pure chemistry much more than industrial processes. And I would definetely hate to experience not being able to get the mark I want even tho I know everything just because of the marking scheme. So I am definetely sticking with Edexcel :smile:.
Reply 11
Original post by rakib567
AQA CHemistry is a thumbs up (simple and easy to memories)

AQA Biology is a disgrace (they throwing in more and more random crap and things outside syllabuses)

Thanks, so I am definetely staying away from AQA Biology as well lol.

Quick Reply

Latest