The Student Room Group

The benefits of revising early?

I was just wandering as stated above what the benefits actually are apart from getting more time for past papers? This might just be me I I feel I only remember the material for a few weeks so it's completely pointless revising so early in the year. I do History, English lit and economics a levels and the content to remember is very big. For my AS I started revising 3-4 weeks before exam and went through the whole course for the three subjects so it was all fresh however didn't have much time for exam technique. I've acknowledged that I need to make big changes for A2's but just the need the motivation as to what the benefits are as I seem to forget everything within a few weeks.

Any tips/ personal stories of studying for A levels will be greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
Alex
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Because it removes the panicky scrambling that a lot of us experience when we're near exams. If you revise early, you will be in a better position when it comes to re-calling information AND will also be able to revise faster when it comes closer to exams. I did Biology AS & A2 in one year and with enough discipline managed to learn a lot in a short amount of time, revise it, test myself on it and revise it before the exam. And the biology exams were a breeze. Hoping for an A* this august.
Reply 2
Original post by Unbroken Oath
Because it removes the panicky scrambling that a lot of us experience when we're near exams. If you revise early, you will be in a better position when it comes to re-calling information AND will also be able to revise faster when it comes closer to exams. I did Biology AS & A2 in one year and with enough discipline managed to learn a lot in a short amount of time, revise it, test myself on it and revise it before the exam. And the biology exams were a breeze. Hoping for an A* this august.

Ok this does help a lot! Any tips on just tips for recalling informatiin itself? I still do the old fashion make my notes throuhhout the year then just rewrite them on new paper until I remember. It does work but I was wandering if there was a superior method.
Original post by alexp98
Ok this does help a lot! Any tips on just tips for recalling informatiin itself? I still do the old fashion make my notes throuhhout the year then just rewrite them on new paper until I remember. It does work but I was wandering if there was a superior method.

1) Make it enjoyable. When you learn a concept, teach it to a friend / family member. I'm lucky because my parents were doctors, so I would just walk up to them and teach them everything i learned (e.g. the nervous system in humans). It is proven that teaching others is the most effective way of reinforcing learned information - Google it if you want to collaborate my advice.

2) Revise pragmatically. I use a technique called the Pomodoro technique, where I'll sit down for 30 minutes, followed by a 5 minute break, by another 30 minutes of studying. I would continue doing up until the fourth 30 minute after which I would award myself a 15 minute break. I would easily rack up 4-6 hours a day because my brain never felt fatigued or tired out from a constant stream of information coming into my head.

3) Use past papers for particular topics. For instance, if you do Maths, there are websites which will organise past paper questions depending on their topic (e.g. algebra questions). There are websites that do that for other subjects such as Biology too,

4) Refresh information you've learned 3 days after you learned it. This is called spatial learning I believe? It's where you go over something you've learned just before your brain forgets about it, causing the neurone in your brain, responsible for remembering it to be strengthened.

But that's me. :smile:
Reply 4
I'd advise not to revise too early - I began to lose motivation during the most crucial days to study like three days before the actual exam.

But, honestly revising early is so much more beneficial especially with exams that require a lot of context to be remembered.
One key to studying is always revisiting previous notes. That means, you won't forget it within three weeks time. So, when I go to study I'd go over all the stuff I learnt previous such as writing what the definition is etc. Then, I'd learn something new. If I forgot something that I learned previous I'd just learn it again and so on.

After I covered all the topics that is when I move onto pass papers. I would then mark myself or a teacher to mark and go back over the topics which I got wrong.

Benefits I found:
1) I was way more relaxed and wasn't stressing myself out too much.
2) I felt as if I was actually learning the context not just memorizing it.
3) My grades were constantly improving, never failed any practice tests - this was consistent throughout the whole year.
4) I picked new information up quicker during class.
5) Actually began to enjoy studying, completely changed my attitude towards it.
(edited 8 years ago)
- If there is a topic you're not so good with, gives you more time to revise it and perfect answers a good standard.

- Long-term memory is our brain's system for storing, managing, and retrieving information. In order to something to be transferred into your long term memory you need to repeat it over a long period of time. If you leave revision to the last minute, you're not going to be able to store it all.

- Takes some of the stress off and will work in your favour results day trust me.

- What I would do after every class or topic, I would make revision cards and mindmap's then so when we finish them all and revise then it's automatically done and gives you something to take on the train or whatever when you have a spare minute.

- iPhone apps or online games. Sounds silly but even a stupid multiple choice can be better than nothing and as long as it's somewhat challenging then it's beneficial
Reply 6
Original post by rhiifuu
I'd advise not to revise too early - I began to lose motivation during the most crucial days to study like three days before the actual exam.

But, honestly revising early is so much more beneficial especially with exams that require a lot of context to be remembered.
One key to studying is always revisiting previous notes. That means, you won't forget it within three weeks time. So, when I go to study I'd go over all the stuff I learnt previous such as writing what the definition is etc. Then, I'd learn something new. If I forgot something that I learned previous I'd just learn it again and so on.

After I covered all the topics that is when I move onto pass papers. I would then mark myself or a teacher to mark and go back over the topics which I got wrong.

Benefits I found:
1) I was way more relaxed and wasn't stressing myself out too much.
2) I felt as if I was actually learning the context not just memorizing it.
3) My grades were constantly improving, never failed any practice tests - this was consistent throughout the whole year.
4) I picked new information up quicker during class.
5) Actually began to enjoy studying, completely changed my attitude towards it.

This was extremely helpful and has really motivated me. Again I just really struggle to go over what I've done about three days later due to the vast amount of hw teachers set ect. Although would going through every holiday really help?
Reply 7
Original post by withlove
- If there is a topic you're not so good with, gives you more time to revise it and perfect answers a good standard.

- Long-term memory is our brain's system for storing, managing, and retrieving information. In order to something to be transferred into your long term memory you need to repeat it over a long period of time. If you leave revision to the last minute, you're not going to be able to store it all.

- Takes some of the stress off and will work in your favour results day trust me.

- What I would do after every class or topic, I would make revision cards and mindmap's then so when we finish them all and revise then it's automatically done and gives you something to take on the train or whatever when you have a spare minute.

- iPhone apps or online games. Sounds silly but even a stupid multiple choice can be better than nothing and as long as it's somewhat challenging then it's beneficial

That's a great idea!! Should I actually make an effort and learn it while doing these mindmaps ect as this would take a lot lonver or should I just get them ready fir when I do revise?
Reply 8
you will burn you self out, and hit the wall. So make sure you have fun and time to yourself.
Just make notes after everylesson, read the text book. Once you have a perfect set of notes. When It comes to revising you will be surprised how much you remember.
Reply 9
Original post by alexp98
This was extremely helpful and has really motivated me. Again I just really struggle to go over what I've done about three days later due to the vast amount of hw teachers set ect. Although would going through every holiday really help?

I found it a lot easier to study and keep up with homework because I had "study periods" in school and only took three classes. I used this time to do homework during school or do revision. So my situation could differ from yours.
I think you should set up a timetable. You don't need to study everyday. But, consistent and regular studying is key.

Another tip is putting mind maps on your wall. Quickly review it at night and in the morning before school :smile:
My teacher said if you study consistently and review notes regularly, you should pick it up/remember quicker the next time round.

Remember not to study too long and take regular breaks. I'm glad I helped you out as best as I could :h:
Could you possibly speak to your teachers and tell them on behalf of your classmates that you all have other classes and that the homework is a bit too excessive.
If you will revise early you will less likely struggle and be ahead of the class.

Revising early will also make your revision easier in general as you won't be panicking towards the exam season.
Reply 11
Original post by rhiifuu
I found it a lot easier to study and keep up with homework because I had "study periods" in school and only took three classes. I used this time to do homework during school or do revision. So my situation could differ from yours.
I think you should set up a timetable. You don't need to study everyday. But, consistent and regular studying is key.

Another tip is putting mind maps on your wall. Quickly review it at night and in the morning before school :smile:
My teacher said if you study consistently and review notes regularly, you should pick it up/remember quicker the next time round.

Remember not to study too long and take regular breaks. I'm glad I helped you out as best as I could :h:
Could you possibly speak to your teachers and tell them on behalf of your classmates that you all have other classes and that the homework is a bit too excessive.

I do have study peroids too but didn't make the most out of them, this will change next year. When you say reviewing your work do you literally do it on the same day or say every week on the weekend would you just go over it and learn it? Also would you reccomend making flash cards/mind maps from the start so after the course is finished I instantly just have to revisit them? Thanks for all your tips too, this is really helping me :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by German123
If you will revise early you will less likely struggle and be ahead of the class.

Revising early will also make your revision easier in general as you won't be panicking towards the exam season.

Thanks, any tips/techniques to learn the content? :smile:
Original post by alexp98
Thanks, any tips/techniques to learn the content? :smile:

Look at past papers for your subjects and get the revision guides and make notes.

Also for Eng lit(i don't do it btw) read the books you will be studying if you know what they will be like Great Gatsby.
Original post by alexp98
I do have study peroids too but didn't make the most out of them, this will change next year. When you say reviewing your work do you literally do it on the same day or say every week on the weekend would you just go over it and learn it? Also would you reccomend making flash cards/mind maps from the start so after the course is finished I instantly just have to revisit them? Thanks for all your tips too, this is really helping me :smile:

Study periods were extremely helpful for me, try your best to avoid distractions during them. However, I didn't always use them efficiently 24/7. Well, when I review my notes it was mostly on the weekdays so after school had finished. I'm sure weekends were my breaks, usually on Sundays I caught up with work I had fallen behind on.
Also, to review my work I used study cards and my jotter for reference. But, mainly my study cards. I highly recommend them.

I used to play little "games" if someone was free. They would read the definition of a word or the name of word and I would have to either say what its definition was or what the word was that matches the definition.
Original post by alexp98
That's a great idea!! Should I actually make an effort and learn it while doing these mindmaps ect as this would take a lot lonver or should I just get them ready fir when I do revise?

What would be the point if you weren't learning it whilst doing it? All about recalling the information
Reply 16
Original post by withlove
What would be the point if you weren't learning it whilst doing it? All about recalling the information

The point would be they would all be done when you've finished the material so you don't need to waste timing making them...
you didn't even reply to my post. For shame. For shame. This is the last time I give out advice to you Alex.
Reply 18
Original post by Unbroken Oath
you didn't even reply to my post. For shame. For shame. This is the last time I give out advice to you Alex.

Sorry, I did reply to the first one, as i said i really appreciate the adivce and will definately try and implent it. Although the teaching one will be difficult as my parents are always busy and i prefer studying alone. I'll try to say things out loud though. Also the review notes one 3 days later will be tough due to the amount of work teachers set but I'm going to try to do this every week instead and make sure i make flash cards/mind maps as I go along the course
Once again thanks and i do appreciate your time and effort in giving me these tips/techniques
(edited 8 years ago)
You'll be less stressed and have more time to organise and prepare yourself for your exams.
Also allows you time to really perfect things you may be weak on so you're fully prepared for the exam

Quick Reply

Latest